Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 10:10 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times

Advertisements

Yep; owner of the dog actually got his dog killed because he wasn't responsible enough. Noted the leash law citation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 10:50 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Everyone has the right to protect themselves and their property, by any means possible.

The 2nd amendment does not define a firearm only.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,872,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
you get owned every time you start one of these threads, mo. i'm pretty certain that the only people that willingly walk into public humiliation as often as you do are some kind of social masochist; but maybe you're just the real lunatic and you are projecting it on to the dogs and the owners.

so, what part of this article was it that you wanted "lunatic pit bull defenders to hear? that a dog owner did the right thing and killed two aggressive dogs?

that another dog owner didn't do the right thing and allowed his dogs to run free?

that two dogs did what instinct tells them to do when inadequately trained and handled, and attacked a dog that did not belong to their pack or territory?

or just (as i am guessing that you hadn't even analyzed the article in that kind of depth yet) that there was yet another pit bull attack in the media?

i'm gonna help you out, since you seem incapable of helping yourself out regarding animal issues.

if you want to come into a debate about pit bulls (or anything else, but we'll stick with your seeming obsession for illustrative purposes), try doing it from a rational standpoint instead of an irrational one.

since you are no doubt scratching your head in confusion now, a rational standpoint would be one devoid of insults, generalizations, emotional breakdowns, and other logical pitfalls.

simply put, your usual irrational tantrums don't give you any credibility at all, and prove that you don't know how to critically analyze a situation, don't know how to successfully make an argument, don't know how to interact intelligently with other people, and lack the common sense to even try.

now, i'm also going to help you out a little with some actual concerns that you might be able to address regarding pit bulls, because your mainstream locking-jaws, bloodshot-eyes, foaming-at-the-mouth hysteria doesn't have any basis in reality.

here are two just from the research paper that i am writing for a class:
Marder, A., (n.d.). Are Pit Bulls Different? (Abstract). Abstract retrieved July 2, 2009, from ABSTRACTS FOR IFAAB 2006
This paper details the findings of a study done to investigate different types of canine aggression by breed. this study found that pit bulls were less human aggressive than many other breeds, but were more dog aggressive, and were more reactive to common triggers than many other dog breeds. this last trait could potentially account for many instances of human attacks in a dog that is not by nature human aggressive.

Shuler, C. M., Debess, E. E., Lapidus, J. A., & Hedberg, K. (2008). Canine and human factors related to dog bite injuries. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 232(4), 542-546.
This study found that breeds other than rottweilers and pit bulls might actually be responsible for higher rates of dog attacks and fatal dog attacks, but that attacks by pit bulls might actually be more because of instinct than environment.
i am sure that if you do some homework, you could find some others. realize though, that this kind of homework will expose you to the plethora of information out there that destroys your old arguments, and if approached from a rational viewpoint will unhinge your prejudice for this dog. so if you don't want to lose that irrational hatred for the dogs and the dog owners, then i wouldn't suggest doing any intelligent research on the subject; i'd just stick to media accounts and forum temper tantrums.

aaron out.
very well said. most people do not understand how to control their dogs, and they let them do what they want, it doesnt matter the breed. i can find examples of pit bulls playing with kittens and children, enough to make most people second guess their attitudes on pit bulls. ceasar milan has several pit bulls, all of them properly balanced and they stay in a proper follower state of mind around all kinds of dogs big and little.

any dog can be vicious, from the smallest toy chihuahuas to the largest russian wolf hounds. and large breed dogs have all had their time in the spotlight as being a bad breed of dog, that includes german shephards, rotweillers, dobermans, etc. right now the dog of hate is the pit bull, which one is next, english bull dogs? large poodles? how about wolf hybrids which are becoming popular? or perhaps the boxer?

a properly balanced pit bull is a loving and extremely loyal pet, and truly doesnt deserve the reputation that has been pinned on the dogs because of a few idiot owners.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:14 PM

46,978 posts, read 26,033,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Your ducking my question - if you had to put your toddler daughter into a room with 2 pit bulls or 2 dachsunds, which would you chose?
That's funny, I had dachshunds in my youth and have now somehow acquired two rescue pitbulls. Going with the doxies and the pibbles I have personal experience with, the toddler goes in with the pit bulls. She will need to be de-slobbered afterwards, though...

Old 01-17-2014, 05:57 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,375,811 times
Fortunately this did not take place in Bloomberg's NYC. The kid would have been tossed into Rikers for having an assault style knife, and then unfortunately there would have been no way for dog to save boy.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:39 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,950,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Everyone has the right to protect themselves and their property, by any means possible.

that right predates the US Constitution...you dont need the 2nd A to be able to protect and defend life and property.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:20 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,683,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
They are not retarded, maybe the owners are but not them. I know many sweet Pits. I also know many other breeds who kill but for some reason we hardly ever hear about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So you're afraid of a Chihauhua unleashed lol Too funny.
Looks like you don't heed your own words.

You won't think it's funny when your chiwawa rips my dog's face and lashes my leg. You won't think it's funny when your chiwawa gets tangled in someone's feet causing that person to fall and break a bone. You'll be paying. Big Time. As is the brave guy whose chiwawa is doing as we speak. And thankfully, his dog was destroyed. The little obnoxious dog chased one person too many.

Chiwawa owners are at least as bad as pitbull owners. IMO, far worse. They think their little dogs with active teeth and nails are.........cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Exactly. My PD told me I can use ANY MEANS NECESSARY to protect my property and myself from a loose dog. And they confirmed that my dog is considered my property. If someone's unleashed dog, any breed, runs up on me and my dog, its days are numbered.

I just realize this dumb thread is 5 years old.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:42 AM

59,185 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Hear that lunatic pitbull defenders? Those retarded animals you depend on to compensate for your own personal lack of courage got handled by a boy scout!

Dogs Bite Blog: Boy Scout Stabs, Kills Pit Bulls Attacking Friend's Dog - DogsBite.org

I wonder if he got a merit badge.
Of course many libs on here go on and on about boys being able to carry, Oh the horror, a pocket knife.

If he had it in school the PC school "officials" would suspend or even get kicked out of the school entirely.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:46 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,408,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Of course many libs on here go on and on about boys being able to carry, Oh the horror, a pocket knife.

If he had it in school the PC school "officials" would suspend or even get kicked out of the school entirely.
I have no problem with a boy carrying a pocket knife. My son is a scout, and he has his widdling badge.

I do have a problem with people like the op who slap a hateful statement against all Pitbulls.

As I posted before. Petey from the little rascals was a Pitbull, and everyone loved him. It's not the breed, it's how you train and raise them.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:53 AM

59,185 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I have no problem with a boy carrying a pocket knife. My son is a scout, and he has his widdling badge.

I do have a problem with people like the op who slap a hateful statement against all Pitbulls.

As I posted before. Petey from the little rascals was a Pitbull, and everyone loved him. It's not the breed, it's how you train and raise them.
" Petey from the little rascals was a Pitbull" Sometime I can't believe you are serious.

Petey was around in 1922.

Pit bulls were bred to be viscous. Are ALL pit bulls dangerous. I don't think so. Unfortunately, many are.

"Pit Bull Terrier The Pit Bull Terrier was created by breeding Old English Terriers and Old English Bulldogs together to produce a dog that combined the gameness of the terrier with the strength and athleticism of the bulldog.[8] These dogs were bred in England, and arrived in the United States where they became the direct ancestors of the American Pitbull Terrier. In the United Kingdom pit bulls were used in bloodsports such as bull baiting, bear baiting and **** fighting. These bloodsports were officially eliminated in 1835 as Britain began to introduce animal welfare laws. Since dogfights were cheaper to organise and far easier to conceal from the law than bull or bear baits, bloodsport proponents turned to pitting their dogs against each other instead. Dog fighting was used as both a bloodsport (often involving gambling) and a way to continue to test the quality of their stock. For decades afterwards, dog fighting clandestinely took place in small areas of Britain and America. In the early 20th century pitbulls were used as catch dogs in America for semi-wild cattle and hogs, to hunt, and drive livestock, and as family companions.[8] Some have been selectively bred for their fighting prowess.[9][10]
Pit Bull Terriers successfully fill the role of companion dogs, and police dogs,[11][12] and therapy dog.[13] Pit Bull Terriers also constitute the majority of dogs used for illegal dog fighting in the America[14] In addition, law enforcement organisations report these dogs are used for other nefarious purposes, such as guarding illegal narcotics operations,[15][16] use against police,[17] and as attack dogs.[18]
In an effort to counter the fighting reputation of pit bull-type dogs, in 1996 the San Francisco Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals renamed pit bull terriers to "St. Francis Terriers", so that people might be more likely to adopt them.[19] 60 temperament-screened dogs were adopted until the program was halted, after several of the newly adopted pit bulls killed cats.[20] The New York City Center for Animal Care and Control tried a similar approach in 2004, relabeling their pit bulls as "New Yorkies", but dropped the idea in the face of overwhelming public opposition"
Pit bull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The problem is when you get a pit bull you realy DON'T know if it's blood line comes from any of those bred to be viscous.

I have personally experienced pit bulls who were as tame as a lamb for years suddenly turn 180 degrees for no apparent reason. I wouldn't take the chance and own one. to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies