Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 08:43 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,582,915 times

Advertisements

I think small and mid size businesses (ie those with 1-500 employees) are very important to our economy and we should pursue policies that support their growth.

The environment for small/mid size businesses has become very difficult due to rising healthcare costs, increasing labor costs, and competition (both domestic and international).

Would you support taxing large corporations more to help small/mid size businesses pay healthcare costs or provide loans? It'll be like Obama's spreading the wealth comment but only for businesses not individuals.

These are just some ideas an I am not saying I am for or against them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:45 AM

127 posts, read 283,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I think small and mid size businesses (ie those with 1-500 employees) are very important to our economy and we should pursue policies that support their growth.

The environment for small/mid size businesses has become very difficult due to rising healthcare costs, increasing labor costs, and competition (both domestic and international).

Would you support taxing large corporations more to help small/mid size businesses pay healthcare costs or provide loans? It'll be like Obama's spreading the wealth comment but only for businesses not individuals.

No i would not. This is against common sense.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:46 AM

769 posts, read 888,105 times
I am def. against this.

I think health care needs to be detached from your work. Does your car insurance go through you work, no, life-insurance, no; lets have personal health insurance much like your car insurance.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
I am def. against this.

I think health care needs to be detached from your work. Does your car insurance go through you work, no, life-insurance, no; lets have personal health insurance much like your car insurance.
I agree that health insurance should be detached from work. So if you lose your job you don't lose your health insurance.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisNY View Post
No i would not. This is against common sense.
What policies would you pursue to help small businesses then?

I think I would reduce regulations and paper work. Also, I would simpilfy the tax code so they don't have to hire an army of accountants to file their taxes.

I don't want taxes raised on any company and that includes large corporations. We already have one of the highest corporate tax rates.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:04 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,730 times
Quote:

No. You cannot and should not remove risk. This is how the EU does it which is reason alone not to do it. Companies that innovate, execute and provide the best value to the consumer win out. The others go out of business. It's not that complicated. In the EU the notion of competition is the strong are obligated to carry the weak. That is the motivation for EU trade commission suits against MicroSoft. Soak a successful company for the money to fund the weaker companies. All that does is drag down the strong. If a business cannot survive in its chosen business then it has no reason being in business.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:28 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
No.We already support alot of small businesss including startup money thru CDBG funding and the like.The risk needs to be there as we already have people defaulting too often on government loans to small business because of the failure rate.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Re-work all this regulation that is strangling small business in favor of big business.
Give small business the breaks it needs. Forget this robin hood approach of taking from one to give to the other. Just change the rules so small business can compete. Small business and big corporations should not be grouped together and have rules imposed on them that favor the big corporations.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:40 AM

127 posts, read 283,013 times
Quote:
What policies would you pursue to help small businesses then?

I think I would reduce regulations and paper work. Also, I would simpilfy the tax code so they don't have to hire an army of accountants to file their taxes.

I don't want taxes raised on any company and that includes large corporations. We already have one of the highest corporate tax rates.
I would give a small business incentives but not at the expense of large corporations. This is the same ideas as: taxing reach and giving it to poor. Does not work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies