Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 03:19 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,475,923 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/06/bu...e.html?_r=2&em
Quote:
The bankers plan to buy “life settlements,” life insurance policies that ill and elderly people sell for cash — $400,000 for a $1 million policy, say, depending on the life expectancy of the insured person. Then they plan to “securitize” these policies, in Wall Street jargon, by packaging hundreds or thousands together into bonds. They will then resell those bonds to investors, like big pension funds, who will receive the payouts when people with the insurance die.

The earlier the policyholder dies, the bigger the return — though if people live longer than expected, investors could get poor returns or even lose money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 03:22 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
This has been going on for 30+ years.. Want to pretend its new and then name it something scary like "dealth panels"..

Do I need to tell you that many of these individuals that benefit from said programs happen to be gay (suffering from aids), elderly, or terminally ill, giving people money today so they can use it while they are alive..THAT SOUNDS JUST TERRIBLE... oh brother.. (sarcasm off)

Old 09-06-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
This has been going on for 30+ years.. Want to pretend its new and then name it something scary like "dealth panels"..

Do I need to tell you that many of these individuals that benefit from said programs happen to be gay (suffering from aids), elderly, or terminally ill, giving people money today so they can use it while they are alive..THAT SOUNDS JUST TERRIBLE... oh brother.. (sarcasm off)
Wow you burned through that article eh?

Old 09-06-2009, 03:32 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,683 times
Quote:
Wow you burned through that article eh?
Good Gods, how can people remain so ignorant in this day and age?

A two second google produced this...

Transactions of this type have been available for Americans since 1911. Aids sufferers created a small market in the 1980's when their policies were sought out by speculators.[2] The credit crisis has seen a rise of elderly Americans for whom their life-insurance policy is one of their more valuable assets.
Life settlement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This country would be a LOT better off if people would concentrate on fixing things instead of trying to invent propeganda.

Sounds like a reverse mortgage to me. Perhaps you could call THOSE "Real Estate Death Panels".

Old 09-06-2009, 03:49 PM

Maybe you should read the article and notice that the idea is to utilize it as a way to replace the mortgage securities which burst 6 months back.

You should also note that it's to wall street's advantage that (if the security becomes large enough) to prevent people from living beyond certain life expectancies.

You would notice this if you read the article which you didn't.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Howe about teh governamnt keeping the contribtuions of those on social security that never reach retirement age with no survivors;is that governamnt death panels. Then givng the family upto $225 to bury the person. Never gave the person the choice either.What about taking the rich persons money in death taxes?

Old 09-06-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Obviously you buy into any and all "death conspiracies" that come down the line.
Where did I say it was a conspiracy? It seems like a systematic issue.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-06-2009 at 07:44 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Where did I say it was a conspiracy? It seems like a systematic issue.
The idea that the government, or "Wall Street" in this case, has some agenda to kill people Soylent Green style is pure bumpkiss.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah it's a good thing I never said they have a plan to do so. Got any other strawmen for me or are you building a couple more.
1. The title of this thread, which doesn't appear in the article title, or the article itself.

2. Post #5 - "You should also note that it's to wall street's advantage that (if the security becomes large enough) to prevent people from living beyond certain life expectancies." Your words, not mine.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
1. The title of this thread, which doesn't appear in the article title, or the article itself.

2. Post #5 - "You should also note that it's to wall street's advantage that (if the security becomes large enough) to prevent people from living beyond certain life expectancies." Your words, not mine.
I didn't mispeak in the post. I don't think it's a stretch to say that if a bubble was to form with such a security it would be beneficial to decrease investment in healthcare, etc.

Invisible hand of the free market. This is completely different from a "conspiracy". It's an institutional analysis and if you can't understand that, it's not my problem.

Also, death panels weren't in any of the healthcare bills, I don't see how the post title is any different from this. If you're offended by this you should have a word with your fellow posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies