Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 03:47 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
This little chart is a favorite of the political right (who seem to uniformly oppose the science regarding climate change, for some reason). I'm yet to see any source cited on it to verify its accuracy. The fact that algorelied.com is cited raises my red flag of suspicion.

Anybody who pegs the climate change issue on Al Gore does not have a clue about the climate change issue and probably first heard about it when Gore popularized it in the mainstream.

Likewise, there are countless charts that demonstrate the rising global temperature from legitimate sources:

So, I guess we can trust the scientists or the politicos at allgorelied.com. Your choice.
Funny that you have to source graphs & charts which no one here has referenced, in order to give weight to your argument.

you have no proof, and neither does anyone, that man induced CO2 is responsible for the warming.

The graph below seems to indicate a natural oscillation to warm/cold/warm, and looks like we are on the upswing of warm.

Natural oscillations of global temperatures may simply be associated with the Pacific Decadal Oscillations, and this whole CO2 debate is nothing but a vehicle for people to grab power and wealth.

Global Warming as a Natural Response to Cloud Changes Associated with the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) « Roy Spencer, Ph. D.

Some quotes from the Gore, Mann, Hanson, Obama cult...

“A climate change response must have at its heart a redistribution of wealth and resources.”
-Emma Brindal – Friends of the Earth
(Keep in mind that James Hanson communicated with Obama on how to facilitate the wealth redistribution. )

Keep in mind.... China emits more CO2 then we do and India is not far behind....

"Even if the theory of global warming is wrong, we will be doing the right thing — in terms of economic policy and environmental policy"
-Colorado Senator Tim Wirth

“Kyoto represents the first component of an authentic global governance.”
– Jacques Chirac of France

“Kyoto is about the economy, about leveling the playing field for big businesses worldwide.”
– Margot Wallstrom of the EU

Quote:
“Finally someone will pay for these [climate related] costs,” Othmar Schwank, a global tax advocate, told Inhofe EPW Press Blog following the panel discussion titled “A Global CO2 Tax.” Schwank is a consultant with the Switzerland based Mauch Consulting firm Schwank said at least “$10-$40 billion dollars per year” could be generated by the tax, and wealthy nations like the U.S. would bear the biggest burden based on the “polluters pay principle.” The U.S. and other wealthy nations need to “contribute significantly more to this global fund,” Schwank explained. He also added, “It is very essential to tax coal.”

Global Warming Goals Revealed- Will Media Report? | NewsBusters.org
Sorry, but I do not trust your crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Just because the wind is blowing does not mean anyone wants to buy their power, and just because the wind is blowing, does not mean anyone wants to buy their power either;
Or maybe not want to buy it at all, course that 3X the cost factor might be why in this case:

Austin's clean energy program costing more, selling less (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/2009/07/12/0712greenchoice.html - broken link)

Quote:
Austin's clean energy program costing more, selling less
Electric utility chief says separate charge for renewable power may need to be rolled into all users' bills.

By Marty Toohey
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Sunday, July 12, 2009

For the past decade, Austin's ambition to become the world's clean-energy capital has been best exemplified by one effort: GreenChoice, a program that sells electricity generated entirely from renewable sources such as wind.

Now the nationally renowned program is struggling to find buyers — the latest allotment is 99 percent unsold after seven months on the market — and Austin Energy is looking for ways to bring down the rising costs.

But those are short-term talks.

Austin Energy officials say that times have changed and that the nation's most successful (by volume of sales) green-energy program, which offers the renewable energy only to those who select it, might no longer be the best way to carry out the city's goals. It now costs almost three times more than the standard electricity rate.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:28 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,049 times
Quote:
Faulty Chart
http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=92074

The poster on that page wipes his butt with that chart.
A piece of his comments are below.
Quote:
Finally, if you look up Cliff Harris and Randy Mann, you will find that they are two guys who run a website About Long Range Weather, Cliff Harris & Randy Mann of Harris-Mann Climatology and that neither are trained as a climatologist or a metereologist, unless one considered appearing on television to report weather or studying geology to be training for such a field. Harris apparently is a conservative Christian who believes in looking in the Bible for clues on what the weather will be (Source).

Old 07-28-2009, 07:21 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
So, I guess we can trust the scientists or the politicos at allgorelied.com. Your choice.
And the claims made by those are equally questionable in their methods and data quality (GISS, CRU, NOAA).

http://www.climateaudit.org/?cat=68 (broken link)

http://www.climateaudit.org/?cat=54

http://www.climateaudit.org/?cat=51 (broken link)

Old 07-28-2009, 07:35 PM

769 posts, read 887,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Why Do Conservatives Deny Global Warming? - CareCure Forums

The poster on that page wipes his butt with that chart.
A piece of his comments are below.

The guy goes to tear down that graph, then posts his own that only goes back to the mid-1800s. Once again, how come I have never seen a graph advocating AGW that goes past the mid-1800s. That is still in the same climate cycle! That's like saying the stock market is booming right now because I showed a graph that started in Jan. '09.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:55 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
The guy goes to tear down that graph, then posts his own that only goes back to the mid-1800s. Once again, how come I have never seen a graph advocating AGW that goes past the mid-1800s. That is still in the same climate cycle! That's like saying the stock market is booming right now because I showed a graph that started in Jan. '09.
It helps the hoaxers try to mislead people, by only using charts and graphs that start in the late 1800s, because that was when we were starting to warm up out of the little ice-age.

If they showed charts from 1,000 years ago, then people would see the dramatic temperature fall into the ice-age, and the gradual warming out of that little ice-age, and it would simply look normal, like a natural warming trend.

I remember watching a documentary on Discovery channel. This biologist was looking at the growth rings in coral reefs in the Bahamas. He pointed out the small growth rings 300 years ago (during the little ice-age) and then he showed the large growth rings in the past 100 years, and commented on "the alarming warming trend." Then he made a pitch about the alarming global warming crisis. As if the smaller growth rings were normal, and we humans artificially warmer the waters up, starting in 1910.

The shows on discovery Channel will start out okay, but towards the end they ALWAYS have to go back to the threat caused by man-made global warming. Even when the show is about Venus, they make it about global warming

Old 07-28-2009, 08:02 PM

5 posts, read 5,007 times
Thank God the informed people on the Right are so well versed on climate science. These silly Stanford eggheads think they know more about the real world (climate) than talk radio and Fox News??? (it MUST be accurate- they call it NEWS right?)

I for one am totally comfortable not doing anything about the climate. Rush said it's all natural anyway. And I really don't want to sell my Tahoe, even if my oil purchases fund terrorists. I'm a fuel burning patriot! God bless Amurca, screw the grandkids, and lets live it up!!!! We're moral Christians, blessed and going to heaven. Screw them!

Love
god

Old 07-28-2009, 08:13 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...st-record.html

Old 07-29-2009, 12:11 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Funny that you have to source graphs & charts which no one here has referenced, in order to give weight to your argument.

you have no proof, and neither does anyone, that man induced CO2 is responsible for the warming.
1. If you cared to look, you would see that the data was from NOAA. I was going to point that out, but the logo seemed to speak for itself.

2. Regarding the issue of charts only going back to 1880, that is a fair critique. However, your wish is my command. The following is a comparison of 10 different reconstructions of global mean temperatures over the past 2,000 years based on data collected in 10 different studies:

Take from it what you will.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:42 AM

227 posts, read 535,754 times
Here's an observation from a Canadian Astronaut who clearly shows himself to be a co-conspiritor of some left-wing world domination take over. Fortunately if it was'nt for Tony wearing that tin foil hat to prevent the government from bombarding his brain with Global Warming propaganda radio waves, we'd be at a loss for the truth. Earth bears scars of human destruction - astronaut | Reuters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies