Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:15 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,940,891 times

Advertisements

I look at things a little differently.

When a Police Officer arrests a person who he believes committed a crime...and the charge is later dropped tells me the Officier made a mistake in judgement and thought he was a JUDGE via the arrest.

Most Police officers are not Lawyers or educated in the various laws on the books or experienced as a judge.

They have a tendency to over react on a situation and jump to make an arrest thinking they are always in command or resent any verbal confrontation.

Like the old saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me".

No verbal threats or evidence of any physical weapons...best to walk away by both parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 01:27 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,096,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marfa View Post
Do you see what I mean, Yaz?

Yep.

Shouldn't have even been "news".

Old 07-27-2009, 02:20 PM

537 posts, read 292,182 times
[quote=Steve Bagu;9975612]I look at things a little differently.

When a Police Officer arrests a person who he believes committed a crime...and the charge is later dropped tells me the Officier made a mistake in judgement and thought he was a JUDGE via the arrest.

Most Police officers are not Lawyers or educated in the various laws on the books or experienced as a judge.

They have a tendency to over react on a situation and jump to make an arrest thinking they are always in command or resent any verbal confrontation.

Like the old saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me".

Hindsight is 20 20

Last edited by Cairo46; 07-27-2009 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-27-2009, 02:34 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,096,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I look at things a little differently.

No verbal threats or evidence of any physical weapons...best to walk away by both parties.

Painting with a broad brush, eh?

The police officers I've dealt with were professional, courteous, and polite.

And they were quite familiar with the laws.

Well, maybe I'm painting with a broad brush too.

Of course, I've never been arrested.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:04 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,940,891 times
A police officer is just that unless he has completed law school and passed the bar.

Many are going to school taking law classes to benifit their job and pay scale. Higher your education...the more your pay.

A sgt only means he has time under his belt and took an exam.

Patrol cops just give out basic traffic control tickets for some city revenue. They have some vehicle codes memorized as that is the larger part of their patrol.

I was given a failure to yield ticket by a traffic patrol officer at a driveway into the Post Office.

At a later date sat outside and photgraphed 33 cars in 45 mins doing the same thing at the same driveway.

Common sense told me that the PO being in between two stop signs and more driveways into the business section...a ticket was unwarranted.

Fast forward...appeared...said not guilty...date set and later appeared.

Meanwhile looked over the ticket real good.

On the bottom it says you are swearing to the above information as being true subject to perjury etc.

The cop with his vast experience ( 9 yrs on the force) in patrolling the area put down that he gave me a ticket at a NON EXISTING address which is impossible. ( he lied)

I had looked up the code which pertained to a Police Officers conduct and repeated same to the judge.

I have not seen him in the area since...maybe fired or transferred...or swept under the rug.

Yes...They do make mistakes...the sgts (I'm perfect) attitude is obvious.

Steve

Old 07-27-2009, 03:16 PM

5,478 posts, read 12,253,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo46 View Post
Well said.

He started with "I don't have all the facts" and I thought it was a good start. He did not know when to stop.
But that's the problem now, isn't it? Stir up the bees hive, turn it around, absolve yourself of any sort of responsibilty and and then act as the peace maker, you know, like he just walked upon the scene instead of returning to it after wrecking the car. Classic narcissistic behavior. The great-all knowing One. Where would we be without him and how DID America last as long as it did before King Obama's coronation?

Old 07-27-2009, 03:40 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,249,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
I'm so proud that they all got together, to wash up this BS!

Hopefully this will be a learning Tool!

1. If a Person shows you proof leave his property immediately!

2. If a cop comes to your house and ask you for proof that you live there, Show him the proof and be careful what you say! ( I know it will be very hard !)

3. Be careful to not disrespect the entire Police Dept.

Shake hands and move on!!
If Gates had not used race that probably would have been what would have happened.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:51 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,211,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
It is so refreshing to have a president who is an intellectual. The whole idea of meeting both Crowley and Gates for a beer is incredible. Obama makes you feel like he is a normal person, basically just one of us and we have made so much progress already. Compared to the Bush days, it seems like we have officially come out of the Dark Ages of that administration. It is great having a president who is smarter than me

this is laughable
and now they can not decide which beer to buy as if that is a big issue
Obama thinks this will give him points, and with some, it has worked
sorry, but I am not impressed that Obama was so sure that he could blast
a police department, imply they were racist, and when some of us with brains reacted, he followed who ever it is that works his strings, to have a beer. Good grief

Old 07-27-2009, 03:54 PM

1,133 posts, read 713,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marfa View Post
That is not true. He didn't call anyone "stupid." He said the officers "acted stupidly" by arresting the man after he had proven that it was his home. (Words matter, Atilla.) He never gave any indication that he "assume" the police "were being racist." Also, that the man was arrested after police knew he was the homeowner was a known fact, admitted publicly by all involved, so he didn't state that "before he had the facts." He never said the police "were being racist"; indeed, he clearly indicated that he did not believe race played a role in this incident. So, again, please indicate what about his words were "prejudice[d]." Perhaps it is you who speaks "before [you have] the facts." Or are you simply being dishonest and twisting the truth?
Lets try another one. Lets say you and your girlfriend are in a bar and I walk up and pat her on the butt. Lets say you don't knock me out instantly as I would try to do to you under the same circumstances. The bar bouncer sees the commotion and tries to get me thrown out of the bar. I say, o.k. I'm leaving but not until he apologizes for trying to deck my ass when all I did was give her a little pat on the ass. Should either of us apologize? Who should it be that apologizes? Maybe we should just go have a drink togeather, I think she liked it

Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 PM

Location: A wonderful, socioeconomically, ethnically, and culturally diverse little town
70 posts, read 74,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Lets try another one. Lets say you and your girlfriend are in a bar and I walk up and pat her on the butt. Lets say you don't knock me out instantly as I would try to do to you under the same circumstances. The bar bouncer sees the commotion and tries to get me thrown out of the bar. I say, o.k. I'm leaving but not until he apologizes for trying to deck my ass when all I did was give her a little pat on the ass. Should either of us apologize? Who should it be that apologizes? Maybe we should just go have a drink togeather, I think she liked it
Nothing you wrote here has anything to do with anything I wrote. You made false accusations about what the President said, and I pointed out what was false about them. Now you are using a silly analogy in an attempt (I assume) to show that the President should apologize. Do you allege he should apologize for the things you falsely accused him of doing, or is there something else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies