Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 05:10 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yep. Here where I live we simply say "white" or "black". I don't know of any black person that is offended by being called black. The only time I hear "African American" is when they say it on TV.
thats just a racial term that encompasses all black ethnic groups and cultures

Old 07-29-2009, 05:25 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
What is ludicrous about the facts? Do you deny them simply because you don't like it or it doesn't suit you? When you say "African-Americans" don't have any connections to to Africa its simply a fact whether you like it or not. Do you know any family members in Africa? Speak African languages? Practice African cultural traditions? The answer is no if you are as native born black.

You probably don't even know where in Africa you come from, let alone what culture to practice. Thats the issue for most others who have assimilated into America, and its no different. Whether you realize it or not you are a fully assimilated American.
I can't speak for Sunli's Dad but for me, African-American does not signify the things you listed above. Some of the things you listed above is the reason why I would be considered African-American and not Nigerian-American or Ghana-American. African-American cultural traditions were born out of African culture. Our ancestors were brought over here via the Middle Passage and all that they could retain were the traditions that they brought from Africa. Those traditions were then shaped a certain way where they could be practiced without fear of retribution from the slave masters. Those same traditions were passed down throughout the generations and they were separate and apart from mainstream American traditions. That is just the way it is.

The oral tradition that gave rise to African-American folktales is rooted in the African tradition.
Call and Response is something that is rooted in the African tradition;
Spirituals are rooted in the African tradition;
Jazz, Blues, Bebop, Swing and Gospel are all rooted in the African tradition;
Certain forms of dance are rooted in the African tradition;
Certain styles of cooking are rooted in the African tradition

I am sure that there are many other things that are rooted in the African tradition that I can’t think of off the top my head. Have some of these things been assimilated into American culture? Yes, they were and they became African-American culture which was separate and apart from white culture or European culture for many, many years. In this day and age, a lot of those traditions are firmly rooted in mainstream American culture but that does not take away from the fact that they are a part of African-American culture.

As an aside, I really don't see what the issue is for those of us that utilize the term African-American. I mean, if you don't want to identify yourself with that terminology then don't. I mean Black is a race, but for me the use of the term African-American signifies my cultural heritage and I don't see anything wrong with that. The same way when I hear someone say there Italian, I have no problem....Irish....no problem. Whatever culture you identify with is what you identify with.

I am American since that is my nationality. I am Black since that is my race. I am African-American since that is my culture. That is just the way it is.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:15 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
What is ludicrous about the facts? Do you deny them simply because you don't like it or it doesn't suit you? When you say "African-Americans" don't have any connections to to Africa its simply a fact whether you like it or not. Do you know any family members in Africa? Speak African languages? Practice African cultural traditions? The answer is no if you are as native born black.
This is irrelevant. Many Americans from other origins don't have family members in other countries, yet an Italian American is still Italian American, and a Chinese American whose family has been in California since the 1860s is still a Chinese American. And yes, I do practice African cultural traditions in the food I eat, the music I listen to, the way I raise my children, the way I relate to my Creator. Just because you have no ancestral heritage doesn't mean I am the same.

Quote:
You probably don't even know where in Africa you come from, let alone what culture to practice.

My ancestors come from four continents, and Africa predominates. My cultural practices, and my DNA, comes from all over the western and southwestern coasts.

Quote:
Thats the issue for most others who have assimilated into America, and its no different. Whether you realize it or not you are a fully assimilated American.
I haven't assimilated into anything; my ancestors helped build America culturally and economically. I am as American as anyone else born here. I am also African.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:53 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
This is irrelevant. Many Americans from other origins don't have family members in other countries, yet an Italian American is still Italian American, and a Chinese American whose family has been in California since the 1860s is still a Chinese American.
Why do you find it necessary to hyphenate anyway?

I know the origins of my ancestors - but, while I have had discussions about my ancestors with family and friends, there is absolutely no need, no desire, no purpose to "hyphenate".

I am an American. I was born in the United States. My loyalties are too the United States of America - not to the area where my ancestors came from.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:01 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Why do you find it necessary to hyphenate anyway?

I know the origins of my ancestors - but, while I have had discussions about my ancestors with family and friends, there is absolutely no need, no desire, no purpose to "hyphenate".

I am an American. I was born in the United States. My loyalties are too the United States of America - not to the area where my ancestors came from.
This thread is 18 pages of posts like this which confuse national and cultural identity.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 PM

539 posts, read 700,265 times
"many immigrated here in the late 18th century"

Please name one African that did not arrive to the America's in a slave ship. Immigration is the act of coming to a foreign country in order to settle there, to work and prosper to start a new life.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:38 PM

If Africans were imprisoned, enslaved, and removed from their homelands and brought to Americas why isn't there a desire to return to the land of their ancestors. Why do they want to stay in the country that enslaved them.

If my ancestors were brought here by force, were made slaves, I would want to return to the home of my ancestors..like the Jewish people returning to the land of Israel.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:49 PM

"have Native American blood (Cherokee) as well as African blood."

i recently read about the Cherokee Chief, Dragging Canoe, he was courageous, a great warrior and military tactician. With a warrior like him we could easily defeat the Taliban.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:00 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicWings View Post
"many immigrated here in the late 18th century"

Please name one African that did not arrive to the America's in a slave ship. Immigration is the act of coming to a foreign country in order to settle there, to work and prosper to start a new life.
I was referring to whites. Sorry for the mix-up.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:25 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Side Houston View Post
Well said. Some people think that buy forgetting your culture, heritage, ancestors homeland, you are somehow unamerican. But when they profile you, they are the FIRST to bring up race/ethicity/nationality!! I am Latino and proud to be. My family has been American for over 100 years. But guess what? We still love our rice and beans, arroz con pollo, cafe con leche and Salsa music! And other folks can listen to their country music and eat BBQ ribs and baked beans! Being different is NOT bad. We are still American. They speak english, so do I. I vote, so do they. We all pay taxes. We fight our wars. That's as American as you need be!

Well put!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies