Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:38 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
We're often called Caucasian, even though we have no intention of visiting the Caucasus region.

I think you're being hyper-sensitive.
No I'm just expressing my opinion. I also stated why I can't stand the term. If you disagree, state why and contribute, rather than throwing in nonsensical one-liners that mean nothing and only serve to obfuscate and muddle the issue with nonsense.

Last edited by BayDude; 07-26-2009 at 09:46 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 09:42 PM

197 posts, read 397,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
what do you suggest then? just.....black?
No. Just American. This the only country I see that labels people so much. I have long hair and caramel skin. I am Jamaican. I now Jamaicans that have green eyes and hair down to the toes. Still Jamaican. Look at Puerto Ricans.
As a Black person in this country haven't you earn the right to just be American? Most black people in this country have white ancestry anyway. So you are of one blood. You run away from each other but there is always some thing to bring you back. And how can you be in two places at one time? One foot is in Africa and the other is in the U.S.? Weird.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithi View Post
No. Just American. This the only country I see that labels people so much. I have long hair and caramel skin. I am Jamaican. I now Jamaicans that have green eyes and hair down to the toes. Still Jamaican. Look at Puerto Ricans.
As a Black person in this country haven't you earn the right to just be American? Most black people in this country have white ancestry anyway. So you are of one blood. You run away from each other but there is always some thing to bring you back. And how can you be in two places at one time? One foot is in Africa and the other is in the U.S.? Weird.
Well said indeed.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:46 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
I am Irish-German-Native-American.....

Old 07-26-2009, 09:48 PM

681 posts, read 2,360,113 times
I don't like to use the term African-American because it assumes nationality. It's really awkward to accidentally call someone an African-American when, for example, they're really a Brit, Brazilian or Canadian.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:48 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
I constantly see it being used in the forums and general media referring to American blacks. Yet there is nothing "African" about American black people and furthermore most American blacks have no intention of visiting or living in Africa, so why do people continue to insist on using this term? Are whites called "European American"? No. American blacks are even more Americanized than white Americans, they have no connections to Africa at all.

Discuss.
Well, I call so called Whites 'Europeans' (American) because that's what they are and so called Blacks are Asiatics. I agree with you on one thing and that is we should not submit to names like Black/Afro American/African American/Negro/Colored/Latino/Hispanic/Native American etc because these names are slave titles that elude to slavery. If anyone does properly look up these terms (Blacks Law dictionary) and see what they mean they would know that. These titles are not our nationality (look up the definition of nationality). The so called Blacks/Latinos etc TRUE nationality is Moorish American, because we are the descendants of the ancient Moabites/Morrocans born in America so where we disagree is in you saying we have no connection to Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude
What I meant is that American blacks have been living in America for longer than most white Americans, for 200-300 years, (many immigrated here in the late 18th century) and have non-African names such as Williams or Johnson.

Just to clear up what I meant by that.
See, this the biggest misconception that the Moors/Moorish American (American Blacks for communication purposes) have. WE DID NOT ALL COME OVER ON SLAVE SHIPS FROM AFRICA lol. As a matter of fact, not even a quarter of us came over on slave ships, we were already here. However, because Europeans told us in school we all came from one continent, we think that is true of our history...this is where the disconnect happens. Same reason we think we're "Blacks", because Europeans told us that when we got off the slave ships. The question is, what were you called before then? What was your nationality? What was your religion? What was your family name? What language did you speak? Unfortunately, not enough of us ask these questions. But the answer is, we were Moors. The original Asiatic race who was the first man on ALL the continents and even before they split apart.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:51 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I am Irish-German-Native-American.....
I'm Afro-Irish with some poodle thrown in.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:55 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
I'm a Heinz 57.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:55 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
as a matter of fact, not even a quarter of us came over on slave ships, we were already here.
ROTFLMAO your whole post. Thanks man.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:56 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
I am just an American. I really don't care where my great Grand parents came from because it has absolutly nothing to do with my life today. The fact that some came from Germany and one grandmother was Shoshone is irrelevent to me. I am an American...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies