Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 05:42 PM

309 posts, read 1,210,627 times

Advertisements

Greetings,
No matter what race we are the color of blood is the same RED... cant change that with any label or name calling..
Be Blessed

Old 10-11-2009, 05:42 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Another Term used similarly only in America is Scotch-Irish , it is not so much an ethnic group as it is a group of people who share a past. They are basically people from Ireland who are distinguished from "Irishmen"
The same way African Americans are basically people from Africa who are distinguished from Africans,

The only time I have been called an American is when I am not in America.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 10-11-2009 at 06:13 PM..

Old 10-11-2009, 05:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionandlamb View Post
Greetings,
No matter what race we are the color of blood is the same RED... cant change that with any label or name calling..
Be Blessed
Singing Kumbaya has no place in the Politics and Controversies Forum.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:46 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
African American. They're two words, in which the definitions of each are not up for debate. If leftist political correctness has tried to hijack the words and turn them into political leverage, that's not my problem.

Bottom line: If you are born and raised in Africa and immigrate to America and you insist on labels, you are African American. If you are born and raised in America, and you're lineage is 4, 5 and 6 generations of fellow Americans, you are American. Political Correctness rots the brain.
That's my exact take on it as well

Old 10-11-2009, 05:50 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That is the most self-serving and convoluted read of my post that I can imagine.

I'll let the post speak for itself without further elaboration for it needs no further clarification.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ericans-4.html

Now I realize that you think you have come up with a "end all be all" response (judging by how many times you have posted the same line on different threads) but if you are going to apply this pro forma statement you need to keep track of who you are aiming it at since I am dying to know how the epithet, racist, applies to an African American discussing other African Americans, whatever the basis of the discussion might be.
Wrote so much, yet said so little. Okay, I'll ask you in plain English and ask that you engage in intellectually honesty. Do you think that all black Americans should act and think alike and vote democrat and if a black American chooses to be a conservative republican, they are "selling out?"

Old 10-11-2009, 05:51 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Another Term used similarly only in America is Scotch-Irish , it is not so much an ethnic group as it is a group of people who share a past. They are basically people from Ireland who are distinguished from "Irishmen"
Scotch-Irish are Irish of Scottish (or English) descent. They were originally Scottish Protestants but were transplanted to Ireland. In Great Britan they are known as Ulster Scots.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:52 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I am not from Africa. I am African American, remember?
I was just going off of your post in which you said that when you look in the mirror you see an African. Using your logic, when looking in the mirror I see a man better looking then Brad Pitt and richer then Bill Gates.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:03 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
I'll ask you in plain English... do you think that all black Americans should act and think alike and vote democrat and if a black American chooses to be a conservative republican, they are "selling out?"
What sane person would expect ten dinner guest to think and act a like much less 40.7 million people? Do I think that all African Americans should vote for the Democratic Party, most definitely, but then I think that all sane Americans should vote for the Democratic Party as well.

"Selling out" is not a function of political philosophy but on how that philosophy is used, to the better or the detriment of other African Americans. In the case that I sighted above, ministerial criticism of Martin Luther King, the issue of conservatism or liberalism are of no importance, the test is determined by whether or not one willing allows their political philosophy to be exploited by for personal gain at the expense of the larger body.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:08 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
I was just going off of your post in which you said that when you look in the mirror you see an African. Using your logic, when looking in the mirror I see a man better looking then Brad Pitt and richer then Bill Gates.
Not so......my logic comes from the appearance I have inherited from my ancestors who come from Africa, and the fact that said appearance shows that I am obviously a descendant of Africans.

Your logic comes from..........I have no idea where your logic comes from.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:10 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Scotch-Irish are Irish of Scottish (or English) descent. They were originally Scottish Protestants but were transplanted to Ireland. In Great Britain they are known as Ulster Scots.
Precisely , it is a term used only in America to distinguish a group of people in America, by some of the logic of other posters since they came here from Ireland they must be Irish- Americans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies