Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:27 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
He said balls!
He didn't say balls of what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 08:30 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
And I agree with him, too.

I listen to Palin speak and have no trouble understanding what she is saying. I think the main problem with you of the left order don't manage to hear every word and that leaves understanding out in the cold. I wonder when those who just plain don't like the woman will hear enough of her words to understand her.
No no, I think the majority of any of us have no idea what she's talking about. If you understand it, good on you. You must speak some other universe speak because she does not speak normal articulate english.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:31 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I never know what she is talking about either. I think her first, well rehearsed, speech got alot of attention and some people jumped on board right there and then and never listened to her speak after that.

I have never disliked her, I just thought she was out of her league. I'm also surprised she quit when she could have made good use of her time as Governor to learn about the things she didn't know.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
I listen to Palin speak and have no trouble understanding what she is saying. I think the main problem with you of the left order don't manage to hear every word and that leaves understanding out in the cold. I wonder when those who just plain don't like the woman will hear enough of her words to understand her.
This thread was started by someone who says he is right-of-center. Maybe you missed that.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:36 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
I think a better question is, "what the hell is Barack Obama talking about?"

Old 07-28-2009, 08:50 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
I think a better question is, "what the hell is Barack Obama talking about?"
He's talking about growing the government and confiscating your salary to distribute to his constituencies. I disagree with this approach, but I have no trouble understanding what he means.

With Palin, I WANT to empathize with her, but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what she wants to do, other than find a way to avoid criticism and gain political power. And those goals are shared by all politicians. She is not special, but she wants us to think she is -- not because of what she articulates but because of what we THINK she articulates. And I think that's scary.

To my mind, many of Obama's ideas are wrong. But most of Palin's are largely unknown...

Old 07-28-2009, 08:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
As a right-of-center person, I am having a really hard time deciphering Sarah Palin's message. She seems to be saying that she is being attacked for holding conservative principles, but she never actually articulates those principles, preferring instead to refer to them obliquely, with much winking, elbow-nudging, and other linguisitic and physical cues which suggest that the sympathetic listener knows what she's talking about.

Well, I'm a sympathetic listener (experienced posters on City-Data may recall my support for her VP candidacy back in early 2007 -- before, I hasten to add, I had heard her speak publicly), and I don't get it.

Support for Second Amendment rights, opposition to Roe Vee Wade, okay, I'm good with that. But beyond those two issues, the lady simply does not make sense, and, in fact, probably does more harm than good re gun rights and the pro-life cause with her near-incomprehensible ramblings.

So, I repeat: what in the heck is Sarah Palin talking about? Perhaps a Palin supporter can enlighten me (by quoting the good ex-governor, not by speaking for her).

Anti-Palin posters, please hold your peace for awhile. We all know you hate her and think Tina Fey is the greatest thing since -- well, since Gilda Radner. Hooray for you.
I never did watch Sat. Night Live so don't know much about Ms. Fey.

I have been busily killing fish off and on all day long (you can see our label in certain Costcos); my baby needs a new pair of custom made Italian shoes, so I don't have time now to look it up for you. But a man here in Alaska wrote a good analysis of the Palien's political "style", and how she says nothing concrete while managing to sound pretty doggoned darn good to the basically uninformed. She appeals to the emotions of people and not to their intellect.

When I'm able to, I'll find the article and post it for you. It was written before she was picked for VP.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:01 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
she says nothing concrete while managing to sound pretty doggoned darn good to the basically uninformed. She appeals to the emotions of people and not to their intellect.

When I'm able to, I'll find the article and post it for you.
Oh, do. I haven't thought about Hillary for quite a while.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:06 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
Real conservatives don't need words to express our thoughts. Our thoughts emanate from a deeper and more intuitive place down at the very bottom of our balls.
I really hope you're joking. Do your thoughts speak? Or, do your balls speak Hope you got health insurance if they do.

Quote:

I think the main problem with you of the left order don't manage to hear every word and that leaves understanding out in the cold.
Sorry Roy, I have no idea what you're talking about either. Can you speak english because I'm not well versed in speaking Palinish.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Oh, do. I haven't thought about Hillary for quite a while.
I'm not sure what this has to do with Hilary Clinton; the article was specific to Alaska politics.

You asked an honest question and I'm trying to supply you with some perspective on it from the state of Alaska...from before the Palien made the national spotlight. If you aren't interested in that, just say.

Goodnight. 4:30 comes early and there's fish out there waiting to be killed.

God bless 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies