Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 06:50 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
No he didnt.

Read the at least 5 times, maybe even you will understand it.

Does St Louis have tutors or are all of them in jail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 06:55 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
No he didnt.
i just looked up houston and he did deny them funds:

Four major U.S. cities are finding this out the hard way: New York, Houston, Seattle and Pittsburgh are among those that will not get money because the Justice Department decided other parts of the country simply needed it more, officials said.
"This is the wrong decision for the wrong reasons," Houston Mayor Bill White said. "We were told that Houston did not receive funding because our city budget is not distressed and our crime rates have gone down to the lowest levels in decades. Cities should not be penalized for good law enforcement and sound financial practices."

once again, we have a government that is rewarding bad behavior so the cities with the really bad crime levels get money. it is just like every other program, where the bad banks get rewarded, the bad wall street players get rewarded, the bad homeowners get rewarded, the gas guzzling car owners get rewarded. no wonder people are disgusted! what about the average person who is being responsible! who is looking out for them?!! (kprc)

Old 07-28-2009, 06:56 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i just looked up houston and he did deny them funds:

Four major U.S. cities are finding this out the hard way: New York, Houston, Seattle and Pittsburgh are among those that will not get money because the Justice Department decided other parts of the country simply needed it more, officials said.
"This is the wrong decision for the wrong reasons," Houston Mayor Bill White said. "We were told that Houston did not receive funding because our city budget is not distressed and our crime rates have gone down to the lowest levels in decades. Cities should not be penalized for good law enforcement and sound financial practices."

once again, we have a government that is rewarding bad behavior so the cities with the really bad crime levels get money. it is just like every other program, where the bad banks get rewarded, the bad wall street players get rewarded, the bad homeowners get rewarded, the gas guzzling car owners get rewarded. no wonder people are disgusted! what about the average person who is being responsible! who is looking out for them!!
no he didnt.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:37 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,333 times
The cities with the really bad crime levels DO need the money more.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,087,093 times
hussein obama, bad news every day and his minions still refuse to wake up.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:47 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Another huge mistake by the idiot. He has denied much needed stimulus to NYC, Seattle, Houston and Pittsburgh Police forces.

Federal officials say a $1 billion economic stimulus program to help cities avoid laying off police officers has decided not to give money to four major U.S. cities, New York, Seattle, Houston and Pittsburgh.

He allows money to go to ACORN but denies needed funds to police who protect out cities.

Newsmax.com - Obama Denies NYC, Houston Stimulus Police Funds (http://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/us_no_recovery_cops/2009/07/27/240641.html - broken link)
Federal Stimulus Money Denied For Pittsburgh Police, OK'd For Others - Money News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/money/20204003/detail.html - broken link)

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said that Pittsburgh did not make the cut because the government determined that the city has positive economic indicators and has seen economic development and a decrease in crime.Though Pittsburgh is out of luck, the following police departments will get some stimulus money through the Community Oriented Policing Services program:
  • Homestead - $142,493
  • McKees Rocks - $223,083
  • McKeesport - $641,763
  • Aliquippa - $133,008
  • Rochester - $181,125
  • Beaver Falls - $167,625
  • Wilkinsburg - $210,795
If you know anything about the Pittsburgh area, you'd realize these areas could really use the money.

I saw him (the mayor) interviewed and he was very gracious and understanding while admitting that he still would've liked to have some additional funding. Who wouldn't... but again, looking at the communities in the Pittsburgh area that received the funds, seems like they put the funds where they were most needed.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:54 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
The cities with the really bad crime levels DO need the money more.
did those cities not get any money before? perhaps they wasted their money, just like the banks, wall street, delinquent homeowners, gas guzzlers, etc.

the problem with government is that they take away INCENTIVE TO DO GOOD. if money gets hurled at you whether you work or not / do the right thing or not, what kind of message does that send you and, just as importantly, the rest of the country? i think there is a moral fiber that is starting to break down in this country because there is a developing resentment - "the banks don't play by the rules, why should i?", the "illegal immigrants don't play by the rules, why should i?", "they don't pay their rent or mortgage, why should i? . that is a very dangerous path to start down and one we clearly should not have started with the very first bank bailout.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:59 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
did those cities not get any money before? perhaps they wasted their money, just like the banks, wall street, delinquent homeowners, gas guzzlers, etc.

the problem with government is that they take away INCENTIVE TO DO GOOD. if money gets hurled at you whether you work or not / do the right thing or not, what kind of message does that send you and, just as importantly, the rest of the country? i think there is a moral fiber that is starting to break down in this country because there is a developing resentment - "the banks don't play by the rules, why should i?", the "illegal immigrants don't play by the rules, why should i?", "they don't pay their rent or mortgage, why should i? . that is a very dangerous path to start down and one we clearly should not have started with the very first bank bailout.
At least in the Pittsburgh area, a lot of the communities got hit harder by the loss of manufacturing and industry than other communites in the same metropolitan area. I don't think Homewood or Wilkensburg wasted their money as much as they were clobbered by the economic downturn in the area.

So yeah.... I think the money went to the communities that needed it the most and not because they threw money away before. I think the message is that we know you've had tough times, hopefully here's a gesture that well help. And from what I've heard from the mayor of Pittsburgh, he understands.

I have a feeling you would complain if the money went to someone that didn't really need it but received instead just as a reward. I could be wrong... but that's the vibe I'm getting.

Last edited by Bagger; 07-28-2009 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Added missing 'it'.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:10 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Another huge mistake by the idiot. He has denied much needed stimulus to NYC, Seattle, Houston and Pittsburgh Police forces.

Federal officials say a $1 billion economic stimulus program to help cities avoid laying off police officers has decided not to give money to four major U.S. cities, New York, Seattle, Houston and Pittsburgh.

He allows money to go to ACORN but denies needed funds to police who protect out cities.

Newsmax.com - Obama Denies NYC, Houston Stimulus Police Funds (http://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/us_no_recovery_cops/2009/07/27/240641.html - broken link)
Only a small percentage of the cities that asked for aid, got it. Based on need shown in their application. Some got, some didn't. Some communities around those major areas received funds. Some didn't. (loved how newmax, added their own headline to the ap story - here is the one of the AP headline:Stimulus aid to keep police on the beat going to just 1 in 7 agencies seeking it - a bit different, isnt it.). But in any of the articles, there is not a mention of, guess who?

Usually you wouldn't care one bit about New York & Seattle, except this time you get to blame the president and call him a idiot. Guess what. Look in the mirror.

Last edited by plannine; 07-28-2009 at 08:40 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 08:58 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Only a small percentage of the cities that asked for aid, got it. Based on need shown in their application. Some got, some didn't. Some communities around those major areas received funds. Some didn't. (loved how newmax, added their own headline to the ap story - here is the one of the AP headline:Stimulus aid to keep police on the beat going to just 1 in 7 agencies seeking it - a bit different, isnt it.). But in any of the articles, there is not a mention of, guess who?

Usually you wouldn't care one bit about New York & Seattle, except this time you get to blame the president and call him a idiot. Guess what. Look in the mirror.
I look in the mirror and would never send a fraudulent racist group named Acorn millions of dollars and not send it to cities who need it.

Only an idiot would do that.

NYC is crime ridden as it is and needs more money to police it.

Afterall the idiot did spend a half a million on flying to NYC for a dinner date that could have been used more wisely.

The village idiot is picking and choosing how to spend OUR MONEY and he is doing a terrible job in doing so.

This money is for good causes, not crap causes like Acorn etc.

After Obamas statement that cops are stupid I can see why he chose not to send them the needed funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies