Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe recessions are a media myth?
Yes, very strongly! 2 20.00%
Perhaps... 2 20.00%
No 6 60.00%
Definitely not! we are always told the truth 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:01 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times

Advertisements

I have been for a long time a firm believer that economic recessions are fabricated by society and the media. I can see political reasons behind it as well, but I think primarily the engine behind creating a recession is the mainstream media itself.

People are easy to manipulate. Change one person's behavior ever so slightly, even if it means them putting off buying a new monitor screen for their computer is enough to make a HUGE difference when multplied out by hundreds of millions of people.

Sure, we were told that the reason behind this recession was "sparked by a financial crisis which was caused in part by the combination of a real estate bubble in the United States and the securitization and deregulation of real estate mortgages in a way which made the riskiness of mortgage-backed securities difficult to assess".

But really... how can something as segmented as a fault in the real estate market cause the entire economy to collapse around the world with tons of businesses laying off people left and right, many of whom aren't even in affect industries?

70% of our economy is based on consumer spending. 70%! You can essentially conclude that the economy is based on US spending our money. I, for one, know that I can be persuaded fairly easily to hold off on a purchase for one reason or another. If I feel in jeopardy of losing income by any means either by something scaring me or what have you, I will hold off on misc. purchases.

Think about the effect this has on hundreds of millions of people. If everyone making a reasonable income in this country (figure 300 million est.) held back on just one purchase of $100 during the recession, thats $30 billion dollars lost in our economy! Everyone reads about or hears about the news in some way shape or form. Everyone has probably heard the scary stories of people losing their jobs and has been slightly influenced by that in some way shape or form.

Your thoughts.

Food for thought...
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,343671,00.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 11:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
The Federal Reserve holds the purse strings. They call the shots.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:14 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
So, Fox News was a part of the recession conspiracy? Now, that wouldn't surprise me... it represents the self-defeaters very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies