Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:42 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times

Advertisements

Pay no heed to Senator Shelby.

He is a piece of trash. I take nothing seriously that comes out of his mouth at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 01:59 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,439,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Thank you, wheelsup for responding to Galounger's comments. Apparently he never took a course in economics — or if he did he must have been sleeping the day that his professor lectured on dumping.

The leftists seem to think that money grows on trees, and that the biggest orchards are owned by conservatives. Beyond that, they have this misconception about freedom that reminds me quite vividly of the 1984 film version of Orwell's 1984. The fact that Comrade Obama wants people to snitch on their neighbors just proves that the next step will be the storm trooper brigades of Amerikorps will be rounding up those who dissent or who have not kissed Barry's ring. No wonder most people find liberals so disgusting.
I have no idea where you're leading to with the reference to dumping. If you're talking about the act of selling goods in foreign competitiors homelands cheaper than they sell in your own or predatory pricing. Then China and Japan have been guilty of that in a round about way. By buying up huge amounts of U.S. dollars they have kept the value of the U.S. dollar artifically high against the value of the Chinese dollar and Yen allowing them to export goods to America at a cheaper cost.

I don't propose U.S. business using such tactics but simply being more competitive through better quality goods and higher productivity. I also proposed the government, banks, and other institutes joining in and helping achieve this through the creation of a government ministry such as MITI in Japan. What's so liberal and crazy about this?

And far as money growing on trees. I'm not talking about the U.S. spending money for frivolous pursuits I'm talking about them trying to help U.S. industry take control of it's and our future by making themselves more competitive not just pricing wise but productivity and quality wise.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:04 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,439,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
See what I mean?
Know I don't see what you mean. Look at U.S. government spending in the 60's compared to total GNP at that time then look at it today in comparisons to todays GNP. I'm not saying over spending is a good thing. I'm just saying conservatives need to be more creative and less stuck in a rut when it comes to economic solutions than simply just fiddling around with cost accounting.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:08 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Well Shelby is well known to be against anything the Democratic administration comes up with so this is no surprise.
There are a few cars on the top ten list made in the US, the Ford Focus is number one on the list, the Ford Focus, the Dodge Caliber and the Chevrolet Cobalt are from our US manufacturers, the Toyota Camry is on the list, most likely made in the US. I believe the Prius and Honda Fit are the only autos for sure made outside North America. For sure all the auto are sold and serviced by US companies.
The program serves several purposes:
A, To assist stabilizing US jobs in the auto industry, assembly, parts manufacturing, the dealerships both sales and service.
B, To assist in reducing dependence on foreign oil by requiring certain gas mileage bench marks to qualify.
C, To improve emissions by taking the older technology off the road.
Unlike the foreclosure prevention legislation, this seems to be actually working. I would rather give 3 billion to this program than 700 billion to the greedy banks.
Just as a note, Shelby follows the direction of his campaign contributions, not the folks of Alabama.

Shelby the Senator from Alabama is protecting the foreign car industry in his state. The fact that Ford Focus is number one on the list and is not manufactured in Alabama probably p*sses him off!

Old 08-09-2009, 02:08 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic"
Ben Franklin

The whole program is stupid we (the taxpayers) are paying for the same car twice if it a GM or Chrysler product is bought. Through the cash for clunkers scam and the auto bailout.

When are we getting cash for iphones, mine is cracked and I want a new one.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:42 PM

817 posts, read 853,365 times
I can't believe people are falling for this cash for clunkers crap. Between the dealers not coming down on the price as much whatever is left from the savings will be gone in the value of the car as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:14 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
The only answer you conservatives seem to have is to shout "less government, less government, less government" So less say we keep cutting back government until it's gone. Then we would be back to where man was about 4000 B.C. How was that working out? Why is conservatism becoming synonymous with anarchy nowadays? I don't get it.

The only thing the man is trying to accomplish is hopefully get more people back in the dealerships buying cars. American automakers have made many changes and are hoping they will be buying American. If so that will get billions of dollars pumped into the economy by not only helping U.S. automakers and their employees and dealerships but would help the suppliers (Goodyear, AC Delco, U.S. Steel, Champion, and hundreds and hundreds of others, the truckers and rail road that transport material and finished cars, the banks that finance capital and other expenditures the insurance companies that insure these employees, the machine manufactures that retool the plants, etc. etc. etc. all stand to benefit. Not to mention State and local governments, the retailers, restaraunts, realators, etc that these newly employed will spend money at.

All in all this would be the kind of kick in the butt that would get this economy really going again. And even if Americans decide to buy foreign it still would benefit also. Look at all the foreign car makers located in Alabama alone not to mention the rest of the nation. Two of the biggest auto plants in the world one Honda's, one Toyota's belong to foreign makers and located in the U.S.

All the arguments made against the plan are based on negative assumptions. But that is all the new conservatism seems to be based on more and more negative idealism.
here are the top 10 cash for clunker buys:
The Top Ten Cash for Clunkers New Cars:
1. Ford Focus

2. Honda Civic

3. Toyota Corolla

4. Toyota Prius

5. Ford Escape

6. Toyota Camry

7. Dodge Caliber

8. Hyundai Elantra

9. Honda Fit

10. Chevy Cobalt

if we are trying to jump start general motors, which the taxpayers got stuck holding, we are off to a slow start.
it is also interesting to note that obama objected to a buy american provision in the bill and it was taken out. he also did that with the 15,000 housing credit bill. (he objected to the part that american products only be used in building, so it was taken out). there are the 2 wars that he is appropriating extra funding for, and there is the money he gave the IMF. he is pushing for cap and trade, which will give a definite edge to the so-called developing countries.

he has been a big help to other countries, less so to america.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:42 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Shelby the Senator from Alabama is protecting the foreign car industry in his state. The fact that Ford Focus is number one on the list and is not manufactured in Alabama probably p*sses him off!
the focus was knocked down to number two some days ago.

Quote:
The Toyota Corolla has overtaken the Ford Focus as the top new vehicle purchased through the "cash for clunkers" program, the Department of Transportation said Wednesday.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:53 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
U.S. Senate will vote on cash-for-clunkers extension; Alabama's Richard Shelby opposed - Breaking News from the Press-Register - al.com
Help me understand.
Why would Senator Shelby opposed something that might help people.
Some people say the government can't run this deal.
Those are the same people voting Republican it doesn't make sense because their party is opposed to it.
Hmmm... I dont want to be insulting, but, your post raises the question of how old are you or how politically astute you are. Never the less let me try to help .Shelby is a conservative republican, the so called cash for clunckers is a Major Liberal program, so yes, conservatives would and should be against it and yes, they are probably voting republican. (The Liberals definition of Success.......Federal government giving individuals money so they can buy a new car from car manufactures that the federal government has given money to, so they can sell cars to people who have gotten money from the federal government)

Old 08-10-2009, 09:48 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Know I don't see what you mean. Look at U.S. government spending in the 60's compared to total GNP at that time then look at it today in comparisons to todays GNP. I'm not saying over spending is a good thing. I'm just saying conservatives need to be more creative and less stuck in a rut when it comes to economic solutions than simply just fiddling around with cost accounting.

Look at Japanese spending and where it has put them. Basically, between a rock and a hard place.

This is where America is headed. The US can't spend their way out of a recession by financing debt for things like cars, cheap credit, and health care.

If we were financing factories to build products that the world bought that would be one thing (example, the industrial revolution). But we're taking on more debt to get consumers to start spending on credit...this is not a recipe for success. Unless your definition of success is inflation and a weakening superpower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies