Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:05 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Why don't we just socialize the Girl Scouts and their cookies? Make private competition for like organizations and their cookies illegal.
or give us all money to buy girl scout cookies?

i used to be a girl scout and never heard that they were working with planned parenthood! they must have a different agenda than they did when i was a scout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Won't make any difference to me because I never shop at Wal-mart and, as I am diabetic, I cannot eat sugar cookies. When I see Girl Scouts selling cookies I just give them $10 and tell them to keep the cookies. I do not donate to the Boy Scouts because they would not let me join when I was a kid because I was being raised as an atheist and you had to "believe in god" to be a member. I just bought the manuals and taught myself the skills they offered.

I guess Wal-mart is running out of markets to monopolize. Girl Scout cookies indeed. What a bunch of crooks.
did you know that walmart supports obama's health care plan?

Old 08-06-2009, 06:07 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I don't buy girl scout cookies because they're way over priced for what you get and I don't support their association with Planned Parenthood. That's why some relatives removed their daughter from the girl scouts and put them in alternative programs.
Man I didn't know that, it seems to go both ways when you look it up...some say they do, some say they don't. Why don't the organizations that rally against planned parenthood open up clinics for cheap birth control and pap smears though and just not have abortions there? I mean that would hit them hard I think, that's why many people go there...not just for abortions. Yea I don't think the cookies will hurt the girl scouts, I sometimes don't even eat them after I buy them. I used to be a girl scout and remember how important these cookies were to me, that's why I buy them.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:12 AM

probably because they don't get the money from the government that planned parenthood gets. this is BIG BUSINESS! The two main sources for Planned Parenthood funding are the $50 Million plus Planned Parenthood gets annually through the Title X program, and the est. $50 Million plus Planned Parenthood gets annually through the Medicaid program.

This adds up to a total of over $100 million of federal taxpayer dollars given annually.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
At last the government is spending my taxes properly. I support any organization that teaches girls to protect themselves from the predators and to control their own bodies is doing the proper thing.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:38 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,715 times
Dateline: Washington (AP)

President Obama today announced the appointment of a new "cookie" Czar in response to Wal-Mart's decision to sell a private label "Thin Mint" cookie. At a White House press conference, Robert Gibbs assured America that the Czar would begin working immediately to counter the threat of a private company selling cookies to the public. "We envision a Cash for Cookies program in the next 10 days", declared Tom Pepperidge, the new cookie Czar. "We think a C4C program will help stimulate girl scout cookie sales immediately, giving them a much needed boost and restoring fairness to the market." Details of the plan were sketchy, but one insider, who refused to give his name because he was not authorized to give his name, stated Obama promised a $4.50 trade in allowance for every box of Wal-Mart cookies traded in for a box of genuine Thin Mints. When it was pointed out that the Girl Scouts only charge $4.00 for the real box, the insider stated that Obama promised America change, and the Girl Scouts could keep the difference. Pepperidge noted that all cookies traded in would have to be destroyed, and that the Girl Scouts would be responsible for submitting a form AG-320 in triplicate to the nearest IRS office and wait for reimbursement. Additionally, they would have to provide evidence the cookies were destroyed. "We can't have them eating the cookies traded in - and we will not tolerate it", stated Pepperidge. "We'll need prima facia evidence that the cookies were destroyed - perhaps video or at least some crumbs."

Cindy Westlake, a local Girl Scout, seemed unfazed by the prospect of the C4C program. "Selling cookies for us was about raising money, learning the value of a dollar and hard work. If they just give us the money, there is no incentive to sell. I guess we'll just hang out at the mall and text boys instead", she said.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:50 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Why not just get theirmoney thru the stimulus that means less dahger to the parents who sell the cookies door to door. Ceratin alo less pressure for those that work eith them.LOL

Old 08-06-2009, 08:04 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,316 times
Love it GOPATTA2D!!!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:06 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,733,632 times
Who cares about Walmart not selling it anymore....just go shopping else where and Walmart will see that they have to bring it back or it will proof they did the right thing. It is all about demand.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:06 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,133 times
I see no privileges for Girl Scouts. Or Boy Scouts for that matter.

Unless, of course, federal/state/local governments want to call the dogs off. You know, not interfere in business practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies