Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:32 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times

Advertisements

"...keep your government hands off my Medicare"

Bill Maher: New Rule: Smart President ≠ Smart Country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 01:38 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I agree with every single word of that. And I'm a Republican.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:31 AM

486 posts, read 1,035,730 times
That was good. I also liked:

'Sarah Palin says she would never apologize for America. Even though a Gallup poll says 18% of Americans think the sun revolves around the earth. No, they're not stupid. They're interplanetary mavericks.'

and

'And I haven't even brought up America's religious beliefs. But here's one fun fact you can take away: did you know only about half of Americans are aware that Judaism is an older religion than Christianity? That's right, half of America looks at books called the Old Testament and the New Testament and cannot figure out which one came first.'

Old 08-09-2009, 12:03 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,233,789 times
Quote:
'And I haven't even brought up America's religious beliefs. But here's one fun fact you can take away: did you know only about half of Americans are aware that Judaism is an older religion than Christianity? That's right, half of America looks at books called the Old Testament and the New Testament and cannot figure out which one came first.'
With a statistic like that, I'd assume them to be athiests and therefore Democrats.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:11 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,280,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
With a statistic like that, I'd assume them to be athiests and therefore Democrats.
And not believe in the Easter Bunny, either.

Horror!

Old 08-09-2009, 12:18 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,992,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
That was good. I also liked:

'Sarah Palin says she would never apologize for America. Even though a Gallup poll says 18% of Americans think the sun revolves around the earth. No, they're not stupid. They're interplanetary mavericks.'

and

I am not surprised that a majority of Americans think that Christianity is older than Judaism. An even larger percentage don't even know that Jews Christians and even Muslims pray to the same God, keep the commandments of Moses/Moishe/Musa and trace their descendents from Abraham/Ibrahim.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:40 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
"The average voter thinks foreign aid consumes 24% of our federal budget. It's actually less than 1%."

"The United States is the world's largest contributor of [official development assistance] in absolute terms ($15.7 billion, 2003), but the smallest among developed countries as a percentage of its GDP (0.14% in 2003)." - wikipedia, "Development aid"

wow.

The percentages in the federal budget, we need to examine....put them into perspective.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:47 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
I've said it before,

The people who want to keep spouting off, "America is number one!" and, "This is a Christian Nation" are going to be the death of us all.

I keep hearing people saying, "I want my country back" and "Down with tyranny", at these healthcare meetings, I don't think they have any idea what they are talking about. We need to educate the people, and not give them tag lines.

I saw Senator Mel Martinez on Realtime Friday, I loved that guy. AWESOME representation of what a Republican should be, hell a Democrat should be so lucky as well.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:49 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I agree with every single word of that. And I'm a Republican.
I'm not a huge Maher fan, but he's right about the stupidity and he's right about religion.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:49 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I've said it before,

The people who want to keep spouting off, "America is number one!" and, "This is a Christian Nation" are going to be the death of us all.

I keep hearing people saying, "I want my country back" and "Down with tyranny", at these healthcare meetings, I don't think they have any idea what they are talking about. We need to educate the people, and not give them tag lines.

I saw Senator Mel Martinez on Realtime Friday, I loved that guy. AWESOME representation of what a Republican should be, hell a Democrat should be so lucky as well.
"I want my country back" puzzles me as well. It's still here. Most of these folks never leave their farm or apartment except to attend church or shop. I always wonder what exactly has been taken away from them that they so hysterically want it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies