Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 12:26 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The problem is that the anti-Obama crowd will never acknowledge that the health care bill (or anything similar) is exactly what America needs.

If America's current health care system was working, then why are Americans the fattest people on the planet? Why do we have heart attacks and diabetes at such alarming numbers?

The people that are against even the idea of this bill (in any form) are selfish and self centered.
First off - the health care system has nothing to do with the obesity of Americans. Americans have to do with the obesity of Americans - we love our junk food - and the health care system will not change that

And, I am the first one to jump up and down to say that the health insurance system needs changing - but, I do not agree with parts of the Democratic plans (there are 5 in the Congress so you might want to be more specific as to which plan you are talking about) - and I agree with other parts. I am not going to merely agree with legislation because it is a "change" -

Very few Americans are against health care / health insurance reforms. To suggest that is the case is a total misrepresentation / lie. What is being opposed are some of the changes that will eventually lead to a government controlled system.

So, may I suggest you attempt not to misrepresent other peoples positions such as you have grossly done in YOUR above post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 01:31 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I do have to disagree with you here.

From the White House Blog, I have placed in bold the important words used.

"There is a lot of disinformation about health insurance reform out there, spanning from control of personal finances to end of life care. These rumors often travel just below the surface via chain emails or through casual conversation. Since we can’t keep track of all of them here at the White House, we’re asking for your help. If you get an email or see something on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy, send it to flag@whitehouse.gov."

The only way to report Casual Conversation is by name.

The Sedition Act of 1918 was deemed at first by the public as being a "Patriotic" act. and ended with 2000+ people being held as political prisoners for being critical of Woodrow Wilson, his administration, and WWI

The sedition act was used in combination with the Espionage act to allow for the government to arrest citizens and deny them first amendment rights.

We have this little email address now to gather "information" We have several government produced documents calling people that are critical of the government as "extremists" and we have the beloved Patriot Act.

The seeds have been sewn. A precedent has been set in the early 1900's. I am not sure if that is what might happen, I just do not want to find out if it will.
I just ratted out my neighbor by sending an email to flag@whitehouse.gov. In it, I said my neighbor is against health care reform and asked what I should do.

It'll be interesting to see what response I get.

Maybe each of us should send a few (say, a couple dozen a day) emails to that address.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:36 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,353 times
Isn't the gist of this whole health care reform hullaballoo to make health care "affordable?"

Affordable to whom? Me or Warren Buffet? Me or a homeless derelict? I mean, what the hell is the definition of affordable?

Does it mean that, since some procedures would be unaffordable by some people that these procedures should not be available to anyone?

If the level of health care has to be affordable to the lowest common denominator, then we aren't going to have a whole hell of a lot of health care to choose from.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:47 PM

37,960 posts, read 22,137,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
First off - the health care system has nothing to do with the obesity of Americans. Americans have to do with the obesity of Americans - we love our junk food - and the health care system will not change that

And, I am the first one to jump up and down to say that the health insurance system needs changing - but, I do not agree with parts of the Democratic plans (there are 5 in the Congress so you might want to be more specific as to which plan you are talking about) - and I agree with other parts. I am not going to merely agree with legislation because it is a "change" -

Very few Americans are against health care / health insurance reforms. To suggest that is the case is a total misrepresentation / lie. What is being opposed are some of the changes that will eventually lead to a government controlled system.

So, may I suggest you attempt not to misrepresent other peoples positions such as you have grossly done in YOUR above post.
Agreed, what the hell does a health care system have to do with being overweight? That has got to be one of the silliest pro-0bama health care arguments i have heard.

Next in line as silliest comment, was his second assertion, that because people do not trust a bloated, inefficient, Medicare bankrupting, lobbyist funded, greedy, power hungry federal government, running the entire nations health care, means they "are selfish and self centered". ROFL

Old 08-09-2009, 02:11 PM

6 posts, read 7,495 times
Default Get real

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
A lot of people don't understand "Freedom of Speech"

If you are in a crowded theater, you cannot yell fire. You will be arrested. If you scream at someone in a supermarket, you will be asked to leave. If you refuse and cause a scene, you will probably be arrested. If you call your boss a pig and tell him to drop dead, you will probably be fired. None of these acts have anything to do with peaceful protest against the government.

Unfortunately, I believe Rush Limbaugh has every right as an American to be an obnoxious pig as long as he's within the law. My only fear is that the people who listen to Glenn Beck & Rush Limbaugh are crazy enough to agree with them and will get so riled up, they'll go on a shooting spree. So we need to decide if these people are only radio/tv personalities or rabble-rousers who should be stopped before their hate speech does some real damage.
Do you really listen to them? Has their so-called hate speech caused any acts of violence? Why do you say people who listen to Rush,Beck,are crazy? You should be more outraged that Obama,and the far left wants to silenced those who disagree. You asr scared of guys on tv. and radio. I am scared of groups like ACORN. You know the group that signs up dead people to vote,THESE people are trying to overturn our system of government. They harass people at voting places.They helped get us into the sub-prime mess. Get scared at the Fairness Doctrine,the government controlling what is allowed on radio. Obama said he wants to change America,into what? that scares me.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:23 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
A lot of people don't understand "Freedom of Speech"

If you are in a crowded theater, you cannot yell fire. You will be arrested. If you scream at someone in a supermarket, you will be asked to leave. If you refuse and cause a scene, you will probably be arrested. If you call your boss a pig and tell him to drop dead, you will probably be fired. None of these acts have anything to do with peaceful protest against the government.

Unfortunately, I believe Rush Limbaugh has every right as an American to be an obnoxious pig as long as he's within the law. My only fear is that the people who listen to Glenn Beck & Rush Limbaugh are crazy enough to agree with them and will get so riled up, they'll go on a shooting spree. So we need to decide if these people are only radio/tv personalities or rabble-rousers who should be stopped before their hate speech does some real damage.

Hey I am with you, I think we need to terminate the free speech rights of the White House immediately.

This.....

White House to Democrats: 'Punch back twice as hard' - Carrie Budoff Brown - POLITICO.com

Lead to this....

YouTube - Obama Supporter, SEIU Union Goon, Arrested after Attack at Russ Carnahan Health Care Town Hall

Old 08-09-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I do have to disagree with you here.

From the White House Blog, I have placed in bold the important words used.

"There is a lot of disinformation about health insurance reform out there, spanning from control of personal finances to end of life care. These rumors often travel just below the surface via chain emails or through casual conversation. Since we can’t keep track of all of them here at the White House, we’re asking for your help. If you get an email or see something on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy, send it to flag@whitehouse.gov."

The only way to report Casual Conversation is by name.

The Sedition Act of 1918 was deemed at first by the public as being a "Patriotic" act. and ended with 2000+ people being held as political prisoners for being critical of Woodrow Wilson, his administration, and WWI

The sedition act was used in combination with the Espionage act to allow for the government to arrest citizens and deny them first amendment rights.

We have this little email address now to gather "information" We have several government produced documents calling people that are critical of the government as "extremists" and we have the beloved Patriot Act.

The seeds have been sewn. A precedent has been set in the early 1900's. I am not sure if that is what might happen, I just do not want to find out if it will.
Not to mention that their is a law that states ALL emails to the white house must be retained indefinitely, that means if you email names, dates comments ext... to flag@whitehouse.gov the CANNOT delete them. So they are storing all this data that wingnuts send in, as they rat out their neighbors during casual conversation, for disagreeing with 0bama's policies.

Let's see Bush holds over the Clinton NSA program (a part of a larger, more invasive program that Clinton created, called Echelon), and Bush was characterized as Hitler for "spying on Americans" and turning the contry into a fascist state.

0bama can keep the Bush NSA program, and even expand it, and also create a whitehouse web site for citizens to rat out people who sound like they are trying to interfere with or stop an 0bama policy.... and this is all just peaches & cream to the democrats?

Last edited by Wapasha; 08-09-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Agree or disagree, it's a free country. The press secretary saying they are skating on "thin ice" is pretty confrontational. By the way, I am no fan of Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity; they have always carried too much water for the Republican party in my opinion - never criticizing Bush for all of his failures and such while all the time constantly demonizing everything the left has to offer.
Rush and Hannity very definitely disagreed with Bush on many of his decisions, here are just a few in which one or both let George Bush have it with both barrels:

1. nominating Harriet Myers for SCOTUS
2. Dubai Ports deal
3. Prescription Drugs program
4. Immigration reform
5. Letting Ted Kennedy write the education bill
6. The bailouts last year
7. TARP
8. Boarder security

Old 08-09-2009, 03:44 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is not a program designed to turn in your neighbor, your co-worker, or anyone else. It is a program to get out correct information!
Why do you assume the info. we are receiving from people who have actually READ the document is false? Why do you assume that the only truthful information on the bill comes from Washington? If you are an American citizen, born and raised in the US, you should be very aware of the tactics our government has used and still uses to get what they want. Perhaps you should try questioning those who mean to seize control instead of attacking those who wish to keep their freedom of choice intact. Perhaps you should ask yourself who really stands to gain from this bill. If you said "the people" you are mistaken. We are getting nothing new here except a little more government involvment in our lives. The government, on the other hand, is getting an open pass to be involved with many aspects of your life they formerly had no real control over. Please, think with the part of you that loves freedom, instead of the part of you that loves Obama.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:49 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Dems have the numbers in Congress and a President to sign "a" bill.
They don't need to inform anyone of what they want to do or even ask us what we want.

I don't understand why they turned this into the circus it has become.
It could have very well been done like Cap&Trade got pushed and voted on in the House.

They don't need the town halls; they don't need our approval nor our backing. They have to numbers to vote in whatever they want at this point.
Very true, but they need the support of the people to see this thing through. Voting and passing the bill are just the first of many hurdles they will have to clear. See, in America, the people are the ultimate power. And if we simply say NO, we aren't going to do what you want, they really can't do anything about it. So they are seeking to gain more support before they go ahead and push it through because without a much larger portion of the American public behind this bill, it will die even if it is passed. You can't force us to do this, and that is the point of the whole thing. They are trying to "force" Americans to take this course with their healthcare without really providing any real "healthcare" reform. They are simply offering health "insurance" reform, and that just isn't good enough. And all we have to do is follow the tactics of Ghandi, and just don't do what they say. We are the people, and we are the power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies