Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 PM

261 posts, read 668,752 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to imply that he was good in anyway, but when I read up the history of what american presidents did to Americans, what English, french, belgium, dutch, spainards, portugese, and so on were doing to africans, and asians and natives, it is not much better or worse than what hitler did to jews. I don';t see how king leopold or king louis, jan smuts, king george, mao zedong, charles de gaule, stalin, or any of the allied leaders were any less evil than Hitler. They all went around the world killing people, murdering and rping and pillaging. I don't see how concetrations of germany are any worse than the reserves in america and canada where indians were wiped out and forced to live on. I don't see how the acts of europeans in africa to wip out entire nations are any less evil than hitlers gas chambers, the only difference is that jews knew they were going to die because they would go to a camp first. Africans, natives and indians never knew when an englishman would come and kidnap you or blow your brains out in your sleep

Old 08-07-2009, 10:29 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,773 times
Yes Hitler was really that bad, and there have been others too. The fact that other genocides may have been less notorious or less familiar to Westerners, doesn't make Hitlers actions any more palatable.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:39 PM

25,768 posts, read 18,826,754 times
This is sort of like asking if Ted Bundy was really that bad of a killer because Jeffrey Dahmer was a killer too.

Yes, Hitler was really bad... right along with the rest of them.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:43 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Hey - I'll jump into the Junior High Classroom here and give an answer.

YES, Hitler was really bad.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:51 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,321,730 times
Well he certainly wasn't really good.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:09 AM

257 posts, read 407,861 times
Well, that depends on exactly how you choose to define bad. If Hitler thought Jews were going to destroy Germany, it would be fair for him to want to deport them. I really don't know his thinking. I've never sat down and had a conversation with Hitler, nor has anyone here. You can't really define a person by their actions either, it's really what's in their heart that makes them good or bad.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:50 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
Well, that depends on exactly how you choose to define bad. If Hitler thought Jews were going to destroy Germany, it would be fair for him to want to deport them. I really don't know his thinking. I've never sat down and had a conversation with Hitler, nor has anyone here. You can't really define a person by their actions either, it's really what's in their heart that makes them good or bad.
It's true that one person's "bad" might be another person's "good."
For many years, in their heyday, the mighty British Empire ruled all over the world, determinedly spreading their form of civilization,even though some might not be interested in the British way, and/or consider their many gains ill-gotten.

Actions, as the old saying goes, speak louder than words.
Most often, actions, whether they reflect ambition, greed, tenderness or devotion, come from the heart.
I don't think Hitler woke up one morning with The Final Solution all planned out.

I do not believe that Hitler's actions were good for Germany, let alone the Jews and others, including his own countrymen, who died because of him.
I suppose the Allies could have tried to *not participate* in the violence, but I don't think that tactic would have assuaged the situation.

The Inquisition,The St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, Manifest Destiny, Stalin's Purge--these and other events were all horrible.
The question is whether we can learn from them.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Hitler was no worse or better than any of the infamous, brutal leaders throughout history.
His intentions...some of the things he did for Germany (socially) were amazing (parks, vacations, cars, etc).
I really think he had to be operating with a screw loose, though, to think he could take on the world and win. Came close, though...

Anyway, no...I don't think Hitler is getting a bum rap. Lol...

Old 08-08-2009, 05:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Wasn't Hitler the driving power (forgive the pun) behind the Volkswagen?
And he was a vegetarian, too?
So he must have been a nice guy.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:22 AM

252 posts, read 661,055 times
I don't think hitler, or any of the other examples of leaders that you gave, were "good" people. However, I can admit that good things came from them. Hitler, for example, put more time and manpower into a space program (it actually was one of his biggest downfalls for WW2) than any other leader of any country previously. Because of him, we might still not have sent a man into space. No one else had the interest, knowhow, or funds to put a man in space. Without the U-boat, we couldn't map the bottom of oceans. Without the first Olympic Championships, Hitler wouldn't have seen firsthand that a black man could beat the pants off of his "perfect" people. Hitler's reign resulted in tons of innovative advances in technology and design that has helped mankind, but it sometimes takes horrible, horrible people to bring out the best in everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies