Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:19 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,119,040 times

Advertisements

Waiting to see what all the people who complained about Bush running the debt up will have to say about this....

Geithner asks Congress for higher US debt limit | Markets | Bonds News | Reuters

WASHINGTON, Aug 7 (Reuters) - U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner formally requested that Congress raise the $12.1 trillion statutory debt limit on Friday, saying that it could be breached as early as mid-October.

"It is critically important that Congress act before the limit is reached so that citizens and investors here and around the world can remain confident that the United States will always meet its obligations," Geithner said in a letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid that was obtained by Reuters. (Reporting by David Lawder; Editing Bernard Orr)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 05:21 AM

807 posts, read 1,303,690 times
Nice! More money that will have to be paid for by the next several generations..

Old 08-08-2009, 09:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Are they blaming this increasing deficit on Bush ?
At what point will Obama stop saying he inheritied this deficit ?

This bad boy debt is growing under HIS watch; Bush is gone.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
Nice! More money that will have to be paid for by the next several generations..
Foreign purchases of Treasuries are down and continuing down.
What happens when no country wants to loan us money anymore ?

Old 08-08-2009, 09:04 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,863,061 times
Dear China;

Please don't buy our debt.

Thanks.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:09 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,863,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm very glad to hear foreign purchases of our debt are down. I hope the trend continues. I hope all purchases are stopped and debt holders demand repayment. I want our debt holders to do an intervention because the political class has shown they cannot be trusted to be fiscally responsible, be they republican or democrat. This country is like an addict. And addicts don't know what is good for them so they must be compelled to do what is good for them. That's where we're at now.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
I'm very glad to hear foreign purchases of our debt are down. I hope the trend continues. I hope all purchases are stopped and debt holders demand repayment. I want our debt holders to do an intervention because the political class has shown they cannot be trusted to be fiscally responsible, be they republican or democrat.
I do believe China is slowly working on that. China has made several currency swaps with other countries. The US MSM has been very quiet on that.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:17 AM

11,579 posts, read 13,957,242 times
But we're on the road to recovery

Old 08-08-2009, 09:19 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,888,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Fed monetizes the debt - which is already happening. Not only that, the Fed is trying to hide the fact that the $329 billion in Treasuries auctions failed last week by buying the securities itself from the Primary Dealers, away from the auction spotlight.

BLATANT Monetization Uncovered - The Market Ticker (http://market-ticker.denninger.net/archives/1304-BLATANT-Monetization-Uncovered.html - broken link)
Monetization And Bernanke Perjury? - The Market Ticker

Old 08-08-2009, 11:13 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,922,642 times
i would hope that americans will be unwilling to give up any more of their future earnings for obviously failing monetary policies.

instead, they should be demanding that the federal reserve be audited and figure out where THAT money went! THEY HAVE BURNED THROUGH YOUR MONEY AND WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SHOW FOR IT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies