Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 01:36 PM

603 posts, read 1,996,199 times

Advertisements

Okay guys, I have a new controversial topic I'd like to discuss. We hear a lot about 'black culture', 'latino culture', and 'asian culture' in this country and how it needs to be preserved and respected. My question is, do you believe there is a 'white culture' in this country? If so, should it be 'preserved and respected' equally to those mentioned--why or why not? I'm curious to hear opinions on the topic.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:38 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Well, "white culture" as it exists in Boulder, Colorado is probably different from what you might find in Levittown, New York or Dothan, Alabama.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:45 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
do you believe there is a 'white culture' in this country?
No. When you say "white" you are denoting skin color, and that's it. Within that skin color are many, many cultural variations:

Where I grew up in the Southwest there is a very big Anglo culture. Predominanantly Protestant, blue-color, FDR Democrat good ol' boys. They drive pick-ups, love fishin', and you'd have to pry their guns from their cold, dead fingers. They love their country, love their families, and love watching football on Sundays. Outside of the Southwest are lots of variations on this, the so-called "NASCAR crowd," "rednecks," etc.

Go to Boston and you have a great Boston Irish culture. Very American but still very proud of their Irish heritage. Predominantly Catholic working class. They love nothing better than a good drink, a good fight, followed by a good drink. They support the union but don't much like welfare. They work hard and they play hard.

Aside from the language and the food, most working-class Italians are much like the Irish. And they prefer wine over beer and whiskey.

You've got Silicone Valley Yuppies.

You've got old money New England WASPs.

You've got working class New Englanders.

You've got all the Scandinavians of Minnesota and the U.P, the Germans of Wisconsin.

And don't forget about all the great contributions of Jewish immigrants to this country. America would be a poorer, grayer, less interesting places without our Jewish friends and neighbors.

Etc., etc., etc.

When you talk of culture, you're talking of things like religion, language, behavior, economics. And that's true whether you are talking of "white," "black," "brown," or anything in between. Culturally, the Cubans are quite distinct from the Hispanics of the mountains of New Mexico, who are different from the Puerto Ricans in L.A. and New York. My Filipino friends here in Washington are very different from the Koreans and Chinese across town. All of them are very different form the Japanese. But we're all Americans.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:49 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,368,044 times
It depends on what is incorporated into the "culture" they are trying to preserve. Is it traditions that from the land of their ancestors they are trying to preserve? Or is it traditions created here when their ancestors came over? What is "white culture"? That is difficult to describe. Is it traditions from Irish immigrants? What about Danish immigrants? Is it blend of traditions? Is it what Columbus brought over? He was Italian. Or was it the Pilgrims from England?

It's easier to understand the other cultures because you have an idea of the roots, but is it as easy for "white culture" to be identified? Let's say we both look white, but your ancestors are from Germany, mine are from Scotland. We may look the same, but our traditions vary.

Good topic.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:10 PM

694 posts, read 2,652,511 times
Yes, as long as dancing is not expected of straight white men.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:23 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,614,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Okay guys, I have a new controversial topic I'd like to discuss. We hear a lot about 'black culture', 'latino culture', and 'asian culture' in this country and how it needs to be preserved and respected. My question is, do you believe there is a 'white culture' in this country? If so, should it be 'preserved and respected' equally to those mentioned--why or why not? I'm curious to hear opinions on the topic.
I have a culture.

I'm Irish. I attend Irish events, listen to Irish music, etc.
We don't discriminate, anyone can attend. White/Black/Martian/Whatever.

Of course, the only "white" events I know have been demonized as being racist. Somehow black, latino, asian, etc, is all well and good.

I have no problem with Zimbabwe heritage, Chinese, Puerto Rican, etc. That is a celebration of heritage. The rest is nothing more than celebrating racial differences. Completely pathetic.

I don't make the rules though. I only elect the people who disregard my wishes.

-TT

Old 01-16-2007, 02:26 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal View Post
Yes, as long as dancing is not expected of straight white men.
Come on now ... there is nothing wrong with a guy who dances! After all, who do you think we women want to dance with? Hint: It aint other women!!!

Old 01-16-2007, 02:37 PM

694 posts, read 2,652,511 times
Quote:
Come on now ... there is nothing wrong with a guy who dances! After all, who do you think we women want to dance with? Hint: It aint other women!!!
Absolutely nothing wrong indeed.
It is just a sad fact in our culture the majority of us are awful dancers.
I believe it is our actual sad attempt to do so that endears us to women.
( we sacrifice our selves on the alter of humiliation )

Ultimately this must be done to show we are marriage-worthy.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:48 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
Oh! I wish I could just teach you some steps. You'd be addicted too!

Old 01-16-2007, 03:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post

I'm Irish. I attend Irish events, listen to Irish music, etc.

The fun really begins when a person from one facet of "white" culture marries another from a different facet.
My sons grew up listening to the Pogues on their way to synagogue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies