Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:19 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,293,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambintime View Post
I must find where my ignore button is too..thanks for the heads up guys.
Can't handle or don't like the truth it would seem -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 12:24 PM

5,478 posts, read 12,258,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Not laying out a point of view on this or anything. I just find it interesting so much of Europe has opted for some form of government run healthcare. It can't all be bad.
England is also proposing that stores no longer offer 2 for 1 and 3 for 1 store coupons for food items because people waste food. So now, the government tells you in effect, how much you can buy and consume. Where does it stop? PRobably doesn't. Where does it start? By allowing government intervention over your body and healthcare is not only the most intimate issue people have but it's the crossroads. Once the government provides healthcare, the relationship between an individual and the government is changed, forever. Now, they can determine what how why you should do anything. Sorry, but if I wanted to live that way, I'd move to friggin England or Europe. America isn't Europe. It was founded on a unique set of principles and rights, and it should never model itself under autocratic governments.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,466,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
By allowing government intervention over your body and healthcare is not only the most intimate issue people have but it's the crossroads. Once the government provides healthcare, the relationship between an individual and the government is changed, forever.
hahahahaha, ask your European friends about that! They're going to think you live in the Stone Age!

Old 08-11-2009, 12:28 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,430,465 times
Quote:
England is also proposing that stores no longer offer 2 for 1 and 3 for 1 store coupons for food items because people waste food. So now, the government tells you in effect, how much you can buy and consume.
Link.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:29 PM

221 posts, read 219,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Can't handle or don't like the truth it would seem -
Truth yes...fiction..No!

Old 08-11-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Truth yes...fiction..No!
But - you have already bought into the fiction - so, your statement above is inaccurate

Old 08-11-2009, 12:40 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,855,122 times
Quote:
England is also proposing that stores no longer offer 2 for 1 and 3 for 1 store coupons for food items because people waste food. So now, the government tells you in effect, how much you can buy and consume. Where does it stop? PRobably doesn't. Where does it start? By allowing government intervention over your body and healthcare is not only the most intimate issue people have but it's the crossroads. Once the government provides healthcare, the relationship between an individual and the government is changed, forever. Now, they can determine what how why you should do anything. Sorry, but if I wanted to live that way, I'd move to friggin England or Europe. America isn't Europe. It was founded on a unique set of principles and rights, and it should never model itself under autocratic governments.
Please tell me that no one is going to believe this absolute "twoddle" that this poster has written. What on Earth are you talking about?
2 for 1. 3 for 1, whatever for whatever is huge in the UK and there are absolutely no plans to change it. BTW most of our offers eg 2for1 are mostly in store promotions and not voucher led as in the USA. This is a prime example of muddling your continents. Just like when people on here quote proceedures on a UHC but use American health system proceedures and think they work the same way. Rationing is something done by the Insurance Companies in America. Rationing is not done by the Govt in a UHC.
Why would my relationship change with a Govt funded UHC? The Govt funds it but has nothing to do with patient contact or Doctors giving treatment. That is between you and your medical team only.
I'm amazed at the "clutching of straws" that is going on across America to try to discredit a Govt funded health System.

Last edited by geeoro; 08-11-2009 at 12:50 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 12:43 PM

221 posts, read 219,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
But - you have already bought into the fiction - so, your statement above is inaccurate
Since when did i buy into anything you have written greatday?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Since when did i buy into anything you have written greatday?
No - You have bought into the leftist lies - clearly

Old 08-11-2009, 12:46 PM

615 posts, read 1,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
We spend less than 10% more of our GDP on healthcare than France does. But we also have almost a 10% better cancer survival rate.

WHOA there. I haven't read the rest of the responses yet but I had to pipe in here because this is simply not true. There are a couple of cancers that the US has a better survival rate on but not by much and there are a couple of cancers that France has a better survival rate than the US. And get this, even in Canada GASP there survivial rates were right up there with the US.

"man and colleagues drew on data from nearly 2 million cancer patients, ages 15 to 99, whose medical information was entered into 101 population-based cancer registries in 31 countries. The patients had been diagnosed with one of four cancers: breast, colon, rectum, or prostate cancers during the years 1990-1994. They were followed up to 1999, with the researchers comparing five-year survival rates. The highest survival rates were found in the U.S. for breast and prostate cancer, in Japan for colon and rectal cancers in men, and in France for colon and rectal cancers in women, Coleman's team reports.
In Canada and Australia, survival was also high for most cancers.
The lowest cancer survival rates for all four cancers were found in Algeria"

Cancer Survival Rates Vary by Country - Cancer Information (Cancers, Symptoms, Treatment) on MedicineNet.com (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=91106 - broken link)

And now cancer isn't the only thing that health care is measured by. I wish I could find the article that listed several other things that other countries had higher survival rates. Here is one article that talks about kidney transplantation which is better in Japan: Kidney International - Risky business

I also have an article saved at home that talked about lifespan. THe US has one of the lowest life span of all modern countries. The article went on to talk about how the top 10% wealthiest people in the US die younger than the 10% poorest and I can't remember if it was Europe or just the UK that the article talked about. I just found that rather interesting. If our healthcare is so great even when you CAN afford it, why are the poorest living longer in other countries. I am not at my home computer where I have the article saved but I will keep on looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies