Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:04 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,068,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't think they "opted" for it . . . their government made it mandatory and that was that.

I think the interesting plan to look at may be the Swiss plan - I believe it took them several years to transition to the system they now have. It was a very measured process.
Since Switzerland has a population about the size of Virginia, would it work in the US? Isn't Switzerland the one European country that just says "no" to unlimited immigration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 07:04 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,223,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Yes i was born and raised in Europe. It's not until i married my American wife, bought a home in America and lived in America that i really appreciated the UHC. Having used both systems i just cannot understand why so many are fighting so hard for a second rate expensive health system that now exists in America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Yes i was born and raised in Europe. It's not until i married my American wife, bought a home in America and lived in America that i really despised UHC. Having used both systems i just cannot understand why so many are fighting so hard for a second rate expensive health system that now exists in Europe
Oh. I wonder who's lying. Geeoro has data to back up his point. Health care is much more expensive here in America, and our outcomes are much worse.

I guess that shows who has integrity and who doesn't.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:08 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,519,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Oh. I wonder who's lying. Geeoro has data to back up his point. Health care is much more expensive here in America, and our outcomes are much worse.

I guess that shows who has integrity and who doesn't.

Actually our cancer survival rates are the best in the world.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:13 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,855,122 times
Quote:
Actually our cancer survival rates are the best in the world.
If you are covered and if the insurance company allows treatment.
Maybe you have a higher success rate as their are many who never even get diagnosed or can afford treatment. Have you not read the posts from people on here who have had family die of Cancer because of no cover or refused treatment. ADD them to the figures and see how high the survival rate really is.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:16 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,855,122 times
Right folks just off to get my annual diabetic eye scan. The wicked UK Govt. here is paying for it.....

Old 08-11-2009, 07:18 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,519,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
If you are covered and if the insurance company allows treatment.
Maybe you have a higher success rate as their are many who never even get diagnosed or can afford treatment. Have you not read the posts from people on here who have had family die of Cancer because of no cover or refused treatment. ADD them to the figures and see how high the survival rate really is.

So overall our cancer survival rates are the best in the world.

You could have just said "you're right". Like I didnt already know.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:29 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,223,302 times
Quote:
So overall our cancer survival rates are the best in the world.

You could have just said "you're right". Like I didnt already know.
But you're not right - and you were lying above. America is worse in almost every category of measurement. Perhaps you can find one statistic that supports you - but overall you're still way wrong. And lying.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:36 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,246,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
How about a ranking of individual freedoms and taxation, where would we fare in contrast to the countries listed?

How do you define 'freedom'? Having lived in both the US and UK.. I am certainly no less 'free' than in the US. Taxation - your going to pay around a third of your earnings in the UK (taxes for everything + national insurance) and the US (taxes for everything + private insurance). There are many differences i.e in my experience the UK took more of my paycheck, but more is provided (healthcare for example), but things like property taxes are extremely small to those in the US. Cellphones are a lot cheaper in the UK, public transport is among the best in the world) When all is said and done each country gets you for everything regardless.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:31 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,687,607 times
i can live without the freedom to sit on my couch, holding a towel over my bleeding hand, trying to decide if it's worth going into debt to go to the hospital for the deep cuts across 3 of my fingers. thank you very much. this is a situation i have really been in.

hell, now i *have* health insurance and i still blast through my $1250 deductible every year. and i don't have any major health problems.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:44 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,260,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
My significant other used to work at a hospital in Raleigh, NC where they were on this kick of putting fancy wood paneling, flatscreen TVs with DVD players, Playstation 3s and all kinds of extraneous crap in their hospital rooms. A regular old 19" tube with basic cable works just fine. They were a bit confused as to whether they were a hospital or a hotel. But who really paid was the insurance companies, who passed the cost along to their policy holders.

Trim some of this fat, strip it down to the essentials, provide the necessary care and maybe it doesn't have to cost so damn much. If I'm going to pay for a hotel room, I'll do it when I'm in good health and I'll go to the Hilton or Four Seasons, not a hospital.
Good point. I remember my grandmother was setup in a place like that in Columbia-Presbyterian in NYC. It looked more like a 5-star hotel than a hospital. It was ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies