Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 02:30 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times

Advertisements

Two points to clarify:

Bill Moyers is the Southern gentleman.

I am a Northerner through and through

And Knight Ridder was bought out by McClatchy, I believe.

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/ (broken link)

And, Democracy Today (www.democracytoday.org (broken link)) interviewed Moyers today, and again, he didn't rant, but he does mention Knight Ridder on several occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
OTR, thank you. Now that you've stigmatized yourself as a Southern gentleman with this post, all I can do is read your posts and keep hearing them in the voice of Val Kilmer in Tombstone....as a result of this post, could you please post "I'm ya huckleberry" for me.

hehehe. Anyway, interesting thread and I read an article on this show this morning in the newspaper. Although, my article was skewed since 75% of it was stating how Knight Ridder is missing from the report....my newspaper (The Charlotte Observer) was owned by Knight Ridder until very recently. I was looking for the link for here because it was down right comical how the story dematerialized into outright 'It wasn't us It wasn't us!" You'd like it. Anyway, if I find it I'll send it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 02:31 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Two points to clarify:

Bill Moyers is the Southern gentleman.

I am a Northerner through and through

And Knight Ridder was bought out by McClatchy, I believe.

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/ (broken link)

And, Democracy Today (www.democracytoday.org (broken link)) interviewed Moyers today, and again, he didn't rant, but he does mention Knight Ridder on several occasions.
haha! Ok, gotcha..sorry I misinterpreted that to mean you were a Southern gentleman....that's helps with the voices in my head!

And, you are correct about McClatchy.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:37 PM

It's interesting in more ways than one, JoeP, at least to me. Moyers was seriously scapegoated by some sharp folks in DC and lost some of his overall prestige because of hate-mongering at even the word "liberal." These allegations were proven false; but the falsehoods never made the press the way the accusations did.

A reporter of the caliber of Murrow nearly lost his job because of McCarthy, and several folks have lost their prestige and their ability to report independent news without being called names--and names that destroy their careers and their credibility.

It's so easy to do and it is done routinely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Wow great discussion on the documentary.

Instead, it gets attacked in wingnut tradition... seems appropriate as that is one of the points of the documentary.... some things don't change.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:40 PM

746 posts, read 1,325,098 times
Quote:
That's a hilarious quote typifying the attitudes and positions of Bill O'Reilly and Fox News.

You would think O'Reilly would say something like, "gosh Bill Moyers you were right, they fooled me, they made an ass out of me, they sure won't do that again!". Instead he and Fox continue on with their same false beliefs, viewpoints, and misinformation, making the same mistakes that they made before.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:02 PM

Well, johnlvs2run, here's something that just appeared in my mailbox from Media Matters, refuting the O'Reilly attack--among others.
Dear Friend,

On April 23, Bill O'Reilly, in a bizarre rant worthy of the most paranoid of conspiracy theorists, devoted an entire segment to what he sees as a devious conspiracy of progressive donors and nonprofit groups.

Referring to us as "the vile propaganda outfit Media Matters, which specializes in distorting comments made by politicians, pundits, and media people," O'Reilly placed Media Matters for America at the center of a sinister web of organizations out to "impose a radical left agenda on America," while failing to identify a single instance when Media Matters has distorted his words or those of others.
So, I suppose the message Fox is offering implies we should just be satisfied with Mr. Murdoch and his team, and allow the other press corp. members, online, on air, and in print, to flap their wings without a parachute!

Old 04-25-2007, 03:28 PM

If the article in the Charlotte paper is available, I'd love to read it. Charlotte is the only Southern town/city I've ever lived in.

Quote:
haha! Ok, gotcha..sorry I misinterpreted that to mean you were a Southern gentleman....that's helps with the voices in my head!

And, you are correct about McClatchy.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
If the article in the Charlotte paper is available, I'd love to read it. Charlotte is the only Southern town/city I've ever lived in.
http://www.charlotte.com/192/story/98123.html (broken link)

As requested.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:44 PM

Thanks, Alpha8207, interesting, albeit short piece. Do you think the reporter is presenting a positive or a negative spin on how Knight Ridder reported and was one of few dissenting voices in '03? In the interview with Amy Goodman (Democracy Now) today, I thought Moyers' was congratulating KR--for their willingness to be on the bottom of the "news" food chain!

Quote:
http://www.charlotte.com/192/story/98123.html (broken link)

As requested.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Alpha8207, interesting, albeit short piece. Do you think the reporter is presenting a positive or a negative spin on how Knight Ridder reported and was one of few dissenting voices in '03? In the interview with Amy Goodman (Democracy Now) today, I thought Moyers' was congratulating KR--for their willingness to be on the bottom of the "news" food chain!
Oh absolutely, I think Moyers' would be congratulating them as well. As far as positive vs. negative spin, I think his intent was positive...but for me...it came across a little negative. I mean, you mentioned how short the overall piece is and just look at how much is actually about tonight's show. The article should have been titled "Knight Ridder 'Lone Wolf' in Pre-War Coverage". (I'd have still read it, btw)

That being said, you have to realize that my involvement here at CD has me looking at everything differently. I read articles and news and say "I'm gonna see that from Burdell; Amaznjohn's gonna like that, OTR will want to pick our brains on that, Silas777 will love that."

It's weird. You know I'm relatively new here...bout a month old or so, I guess...but these dialogs help broaden my sense of understanding all views. I prefer the posts that are not quite so inflamatory(like yours tend to be, although the other night you and spunk got ill...hehehe), but those help me understand the extremes on the issues as well.

Not sure if I really answered your question, so let me try again. I think the reporter was trying to put a positive spin on Knight Ridder's diligence and came across as sort of standing in the face of opposition. I also think he implied that Knight Ridder's sources, while discounted by others, seemed to be more reliable. And, I might add, I'm thinking maybe he's right. That better?

Old 04-25-2007, 04:09 PM

Thanks, Alpha8207, I thought he was equivocating and perhaps he/she has their hands tied. My SIL worked for a very conservative newspaper here in Pittsburgh, and I know from his first hand experiences, reporters write, but editors decide!

Now, OTR picks brains and gets angry. Both true to some extent. But I sure won't apologize for my anger, and, btw, I thought I'd never come back to this forum (P&oC) not to be confused with CD generally because I find many of the members disingenuous and really ill or uninformed.

My opinion, but an educated one!

And for the record, I have a terrible temper, it is only the keyboard that presents me more measured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies