Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:50 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Huh? I watched it live. I have a previous post in this thread 20 minutes in that evidences that. My point is he failed in this goal to seek out a diverse set of questions. My point also it that the audience was obviously screened and "seeded". That is not conjecture and should be obvious to anyone that was watching. My conjecture is that it was screened, by his staff, more than what he wanted (take note - I'm actually defending Obama here).

Now I have to ask you if you watched the video - with the smiling faces behind him, the claps at each pause, and the telling lack of absence of a challenging question. Because your response does not make sense.
I watched it live also, and my impression is the same as yours. On several occasions I noticed a direct contradiction from him (compared to what he's said before), one being that he's not supporting a single payer system. He said the AARP supports the plan. AARP yesterday said they no longer do. I guess he hasn't been told. He said the AMA supports it but he didn't mention that there are doctors who are resigning from the AMA as a result.

I think it was in this TH that he also explained that a single payer system is the same as public option, which is confusing considering his earlier statements. There's a lot he didn't say and for good reason. He wanted to be affable, personable, and come across as a genuinely good guy. He couldn't have done that without controlling the questions and the attendees.

I do recall that he said during the campaign that he might not get the plan as he envisions it right away, but it will happen in smaller steps.

Once his regulators get a hold of the bill that is finally passed, they will take care to write it the way Obama wants it written, and many will be very surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 06:59 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,196,047 times
William Kostric, the guy who brought loaded gun to town hall today, was holding a sign that said on the bottom: "brought to you by restore the republic.com

this is their website

And here's more info on Mr. Kostric

Old 08-11-2009, 07:01 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Huh? I watched it live. I have a previous post in this thread 20 minutes in that evidences that. My point is he failed in this goal to seek out a diverse set of questions. My point also it that the audience was obviously screened and "seeded". That is not conjecture and should be obvious to anyone that was watching. My conjecture is that it was screened, by his staff, more than what he wanted (take note - I'm actually defending Obama here).

Now I have to ask you if you watched the video - with the smiling faces behind him, the claps at each pause, and the telling lack of absence of a challenging question. Because your response does not make sense.
Oh sorry, I misread your post a bit. I was coming from the position that I thought it was always his intent that harder-hitting questions would have a bigger place in the Q/A then they did, which is why I referenced his comment in the beginning. As I stated earlier in the thread, there were some major softballs (spending time answering that question by the little girl actually grosses me out in a lot of ways), and overall I'd call the "town hall" a failure, but I thought the last few questions were better than the earlier ones.

He needs to get in a room with some people who really have some legitimate questions about the plan and answer their questions, if he wants to be successful. He also needs to answer questions that are a bit loony to counter the disinformation.

Last edited by helenejen; 08-11-2009 at 07:15 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 07:05 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
On several occasions I noticed a direct contradiction from him (compared to what he's said before), one being that he's not supporting a single payer system.
Isn't it clever how this snake "words" his answers?

Of course he isn't supporting a single-payer system - now. We know there will be no bill supporting a single payer system. We know, as well as obama and the liberals, if a public option is included, there will eventually be single payer. They've admitted numerous times, that is the way to get to single payer - through a public option.

But we know what his intentions were a few years ago, don't we?

Old 08-11-2009, 07:09 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Lightbulb lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is just another of his "staged" events - filled to the brim with obama supporters throwing out softballs, that nobody watches.
Quote:
How completely embarrassing and meaningless - to fill a TH with nothing but your own mindless sheep.
So you did watch...

Old 08-11-2009, 07:12 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
And here's more info on
Here go the insane left again - targeting Americans who oppose obama, digging up any dirt they can find, passing it amongst the liberal blogs in an attempt to somehow make this man the "focus". Instead of obama's epic failure of a town hall.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I watched it live also, and my impression is the same as yours. On several occasions I noticed a direct contradiction from him (compared to what he's said before), one being that he's not supporting a single payer system. He said the AARP supports the plan. AARP yesterday said they no longer do. I guess he hasn't been told. He said the AMA supports it but he didn't mention that there are doctors who are resigning from the AMA as a result.

I think it was in this TH that he also explained that a single payer system is the same as public option, which is confusing considering his earlier statements. There's a lot he didn't say and for good reason. He wanted to be affable, personable, and come across as a genuinely good guy. He couldn't have done that without controlling the questions and the attendees.

I do recall that he said during the campaign that he might not get the plan as he envisions it right away, but it will happen in smaller steps.

Once his regulators get a hold of the bill that is finally passed, they will take care to write it the way Obama wants it written, and many will be very surprised.
interesting...here's what the AARP released yesterday -

Monday, August 10, 2009 11:26 AM

AARP Makes Big Push For Healthcare Reform

Quote:
By Eliza Krigman
UPDATED @ 11:53 AM to add AARP spokesman Drew Nannis's comment.
Don't put the brakes on health care reform. AARP, the nation's most powerful seniors' association, launched a multimillion-dollar campaign this morning to debunk so-called myths surrounding the health care debate. Founded in 1958, AARP has 40 million members in offices in all 50 states.
Leaving no media format untapped, AARP's 'myths versus fact' advertising will run on national and local television and radio, in print publications and online. In an attack against largely conservative ideas, AARP is attempting to dismantle the notions that health care reform is not affordable to fix right now, equals the end of Medicare, and will lead to a government takeover as well as rationed care.
Most politicians don't get everything they want, if he gets a bill he can sign that will be something. Like all politicians he answered the questions in the way that got his message across for what he was trying to sell. Some are better than others.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Here go the insane left again - targeting Americans who oppose obama, digging up any dirt they can find, passing it amongst the liberal blogs in an attempt to somehow make this man the "focus". Instead of obama's epic failure of a town hall.
lol...So you oppose the President, not the bill? How refreshing this dose of honesty is.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Hey dirt is dirt no matter where it's dug up, you try all the time yourself but you usually don't succeed very well and end up spinning like a top.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
lol...So you oppose the President, not the bill? How refreshing this dose of honesty is.
Come on now walid, admit that that doesn't surprise you one iota!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies