Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 09:09 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
During George H. Bush's Presidential campaign his son George W. Bush, introduced Campaign Strategist Lee Atwater as a "North Carolina Cracker"
Aw hell...Atwater IS a "cracker"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 09:10 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
I was called a "cracker" today for about the fiftieth time since I moved to South Florida 20 years ago.

Is that just another word for "honky"? Am I supposed to be upset and want to fight when I hear it directed at me.

I guess I'm just not up on the whole street slang thing.
If you have any doubts or questions about that word, as in, you don't really know what it means.........than it's not really that much of a problem for you.

There are certain words directed at black folk that carry immediate and instantaneous connotations. When you hear these words, you know exactly where you stand with the ones who say them, as well as the ones who understand what they mean.

In your case? Nothing to see here. Move on.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:11 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Was everyone whos ever called you a cracker [you said about
5 times in 20 years] a black person?

You've already made up your mind why you were called "cracker",
is it really that big of a deal, or are you looking for an opportunity
to start some racial Bull****??

Get over it.
What is funny, is that this would start a massive racial thread on this forum if someone was complaining of being called the N word, and you told them to "get over it"

Old 08-13-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
What is funny, is that this would start a massive racial thread on this forum if someone was complaining of being called the N word, and you told them to "get over it"

Ironic, isn't it? That tells you the differences between the two.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:15 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Haven't we all learned quite a lot from this thread?

Obviously there is "intent" and "context" with respect to how every word is used. Words can be both endearing AND derogatory at the same time, and intent is key.... except for the "N" word, which is oddly reserved for holy righteous condemnation no matter what the intention behind the word if a non-black person uses it for any reason. (See also, "You people.") -- many tiring people who spent too much time in sociology class will be quick to explain the power dynamic, etc. that works well in classroom settings, but does not usually make sense in the "real world." ANYWAY:

Just-Sayin has given clues that his line of work puts him in a position where many of the people he interacts with would not necessarily be happy that he is there, thus causing people to escalate their rhetoric. I don't get the hostility occasioned upon him in the thread. When I moved to Florida as a child, I had never heard the term until called as such by a black kid in the neighborhood who called me a cracker while trying to incite a fight.

Anyway, when used by a non-white person in America, CRACKER is a derogatory slur, unless specifically referring to historical contexts of the word, or said in jest. That is where "intent" and "context" come in.

Angry black men calling a white person a cracker in a heated moment is NOT a lesson in the historical etymology of the word. It's the southern version of "hon - key," and American version of "Gringo."

End. Of. Debate.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:21 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
If he were black and being called blackie or some other derogatory comment, somehow I doubt this discussion would be so accusatory of his complaint.

The fact remains, the term cracker is racist used in the manner presented. One can accept it as such that the person using the term in that manner is propagating racist speak or one can defend it and try to lesson the circumstance. The latter only serves a double standard and is a racist support in and of itself.

People are racist of all colors. None are justified or forgiven in the application of their racist comments or actions.

While I understand the comments about making a big deal out of this, the OP is a bit justified to be upset as such mainly due to the responses here which appear to be "excusing" it rather than simply condemning its use and moving on.
Appear key word, no ones excusing.
Do I believe the OPs been called a cracker 50 times, no, I'm sorry I don't.
Does cracker have derogatory meaning, yes, most likely does.
Is it right to have a double standard, no.
Is it right to call posters racist bc they'd rather joke at it than take it
to heart, no.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
If he were black and being called blackie or some other derogatory comment, somehow I doubt this discussion would be so accusatory of his complaint.
Nah my feelings would be the same if he'd been black and said "I've been called a jigaboo for the 50th time. Is that just another word for "N!gg@"? Am I supposed to be upset and want to fight when I hear it directed at me."

Some people are stupid. They call other people names. You can get upset if you want to. You can want to fight when you hear it directed at you. But then you will be just as stupid as the person who called you that in the first place.

But that's just me.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Haven't we all learned quite a lot from this thread?

Obviously there is "intent" and "context" with respect to how every word is used. Words can be both endearing AND derogatory at the same time, and intent is key.... except for the "N" word, which is oddly reserved for holy righteous condemnation no matter what the intention behind the word if a non-black person uses it for any reason. (See also, "You people.") -- many tiring people who spent too much time in sociology class will be quick to explain the power dynamic, etc. that works well in classroom settings, but does not usually make sense in the "real world."
What's so odd about this? There is no ambiguity about the intention of a non-black person using that word, or, for that matter, the intention of a black person using that word.

Quote:
Anyway, when used by a non-white person in America, CRACKER is a derogatory slur, unless specifically referring to historical contexts of the word, or said in jest. That is where "intent" and "context" come in.

Angry black men calling a white person a cracker in a heated moment is NOT a lesson in the historical etymology of the word. It's the southern version of "hon - key," and American version of "Gringo."

End. Of. Debate.

Actually, the "N" word, and the word "cracker" do have racial connotations. The word "gringo" is used for certain non-Latins of all races. You can be black, white, or Asian, and still be a gringo. Therefore, you cannot say that the word "cracker" is an American version of "gringo."

Old 08-13-2009, 09:31 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
It's okay to call you a cracker, but damned if you use the "n" word. Double standard? EEO? Affirmitive action? By the way, you can't use the word "terrorist" anymore. Have a nice day.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:33 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
What's so odd about this? There is no ambiguity about the intention of a non-black person using that word, or, for that matter, the intention of a black person using that word.
Even the "N" word has context and intent. To deny that is just plain wrong.

Same thing with blacks using the word.

It's just like "f - g" or "*****" when referring to homosexuals. In some contexts and intents, it's not considered wrong or offensive. In others, it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad
Actually, the "N" word, and the word "cracker" do have racial connotations. The word "gringo" is used for certain non-Latins of all races. You can be black, white, or Asian, and still be a gringo. Therefore, you cannot say that the word "cracker" is an American version of "gringo."
You're right, in terms of Latin America (even in Brazil all foreigners are considered Gringos, no matter what the race). BUT, in America, when a Mexican calls you a "gringo," it typically refers to non-Hispanic whites.

Many white people will jokingly refer to themselves as "gringos" when interacting with Mexicans. Have you EVER heard of a black guy in America calling himself a "gringo?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies