Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:24 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,725,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Point #1 happens TODAY. No health plan allows unlimited treatment. It cracks me up that earlier there was a post claiming that astrophysicist Stephen Hawking would have been allowed to die under the British UHC system because of rationing of treatment - when in fact Hawking was TREATED under the British UHC - and is alive BECAUSE of his treatment under that plan.

Point #2 is true TODAY with EVERY health insurance provider in the US. Such life and death decision are made virtually every day.

Point #3 is not backed by ANY evidence whatsoever other than your personal paranoia.

Ken
There seems to be an almost blind intoxication with anything "free market" in this country as if business can do no wrong and government can do no good. I keep seeing people post these "horror" stories about instances of failed health care in Britain or Canada, yet they never seem to point out the numerous MORE times that private insurance companies fail people here (mainly those who can't afford the good plans).

Insurance companies, like any for-profit business, make money by bringing in payments and putting out as little as possible in terms of expenses. The less they treat people, the more profit they make.

We have a death-care system. The movie Sicko did a good job of telling some of these stories (albeit with an agenda, but the stories are real).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 06:42 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,858,802 times
unlicenced treatments are not given by imsurance companies either. The Insurance company wouldn't even have given her "pastoral" care. This story is not what it seems. Patients die in private clinics and Hospitals every day because of refusal to administer certain drugs due to the advanced cancer or the drug regime being expensive.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:59 AM

10,836 posts, read 14,959,174 times
The whole story about the woman in Oregon is sad. If I could wave a wand I would cure her. If we could spend $10 million for a 90% chance, even a 50% chance, of saving her life I would say go for it but from what I have read her chances are near zero.

And people are right, the nation simply can not afford 100% effort in every case. Just not possible.

Life and death decisions will be made on treatment. Scarey to think about because non of us want to face our own mortality.

But I can tell you this in the strongest terms possible. I do not want some government buracracy to be the one to set limits. I am afraid these people would end up like the California DMV and you know how that is. I would rather have limits set by insurance carriers because those people I can fight.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:00 AM

10,836 posts, read 14,959,174 times
Is Ted Kennedy getting comfort care?

Old 08-13-2009, 08:11 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,495,409 times
Mossomo:

I would love to see your reaction when you realize the people pushing this propaganda have LIED to you.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
My point Ken & who etcs was:

#1 - UHC will be rationed health care.
#2 - There will be a panel or doctrine deciding who dies, the death panel is not a myth, in some form or shape it will exist and they will decide if you live, die and if death then you are given an option to choose on your own recognizance gov't funded assisted suicide.
#3 - Choice. I'm not convinced that UHC will allow for a private sector. And if no private sector, #1 and #2 get much more worrisome.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:09 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,864,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
It is not paranoia to listen to the statements on record of many Dem politicians who support the elimination of the private sector involvement in health care.
But it is doctors/health care providers that really want that. The politicians you speak of, have not put that on the agenda, however. So, get your details right, and blame the proper group for not sticking to your ideology... and that will be health care providers.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:20 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,743,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Is Ted Kennedy getting comfort care?
I believe he is no longer receiving treatment directed at his cancer, although I cannot confirm. His absence from DC would certainly suggest it.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:22 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,858,802 times
Quote:
The whole story about the woman in Oregon is sad. If I could wave a wand I would cure her. If we could spend $10 million for a 90% chance, even a 50% chance, of saving her life I would say go for it but from what I have read her chances are near zero.

And people are right, the nation simply can not afford 100% effort in every case. Just not possible.

Life and death decisions will be made on treatment. Scarey to think about because non of us want to face our own mortality.

But I can tell you this in the strongest terms possible. I do not want some government buracracy to be the one to set limits. I am afraid these people would end up like the California DMV and you know how that is. I would rather have limits set by insurance carriers because those people I can fight.
What a crock.
You would much rather that a CEO gets his employees to scrutanise your health claim for ANY reason that they can find to deny your treatment or medicines(this happens everyday in America) than have a medical authority consisting of Doctors and health professionals decide your treatment. A UHC is FUNDED by the Govt. and Administered by the health authority. This scare mongering about the Govt controlling your treatments , this imaginary Govt. Death board for example is complete rubbish. I know because i use a UHC everyday and so do billions all over the World. You don't see Countries with a UHC having this hate filled debate on healthcare...No because they are more than happy with how a UHC works.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:53 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,965,343 times
[quote=nicet4;10255654]The whole story about the woman in Oregon is sad. If I could wave a wand I would cure her. If we could spend $10 million for a 90% chance, even a 50% chance, of saving her life I would say go for it but from what I have read her chances are near zero.

But I can tell you this in the strongest terms possible. I do not want some government buracracy to be the one to set limits. I am afraid these people would end up like the California DMV and you know how that is. I would rather have limits set by insurance carriers because those people I can fight.[/QUOTE]

You are joking?....aren't you....please say you are?

Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,864,256 times
Quote:
I would rather have limits set by insurance carriers because those people I can fight.
Do remember to call a few charities to pick up your pieces after the fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies