Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 06:59 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,918 times

Advertisements

You don't feel that Bush and Obama both seem to kinda want the same thing? 9/11... Propaganda... Patriot Act.... NCLB... Bank Bailout... Auto Bailout... Propaganda... Mortgage Company Bailout... Universal Health Care... ect.

When Bush was president, the left complained, "Patriot Act - he's illegally and secretly taking away our rights!" Now, with Obama in office, the right cries, "Obama's trying to take over healthcare, etc. He's taking power from the citizens!" And all these issues seem to distract us from what's going on in the middle east and other parts of the world...

To me, it sounds like the same argument and that they seem to have the same goals in mind at the end of the day...

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:07 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,518 times
Personally, I think no matter what the government does, there will be people that have a problem with it. Someone will always say their right to have/not have something is being stepped on by the government. You could probably find an example for nearly every president.

I think what has changed is the way the public converses about politics to some extent. I feel like we pay more (credible) attention to extremists than we used to because the media increasingly is looking for spectacle, not news. In a way, that is what could be (or is) allowing politicians to take liberties, but I'm not ready to jump on a master plan bandwagon just yet. (Although I do think Master Plan would be a neat band name. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies