Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:17 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,943,575 times

Advertisements

DURHAM

The Health Care Bill

What 'right' to health care? - Columns - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/columns/story/1630906.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 05:56 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,976,623 times
Someone should try to get the professor fired for speaking negatively about Obama's plan. Academia is solidly blue and we don't need anyone questioning liberal policies within the ivory tower, which is pure and clean of conservative thought .

Old 08-13-2009, 06:44 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,349,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
DURHAM

The Health Care Bill

What 'right' to health care? - Columns - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/columns/story/1630906.html - broken link)

We can keep putting up peoples "opinions" all we want, but it's not going to change the fact that Americans are held captive by Insurance Companies and Drug manufacturers, which in no other civilized country in the world have such power as they do here. They control the prices and they control the treatment. (They even try to control the consumer.........just tell your doctor about our wonderful drug, that you saw on TV, that will make all your problems go away, with only these minor possible side effects)

I keep hearing some (like the above linked associate history professor) that we can do this and that (to fix the broken system), but none of those things have been acted on in my lifetime, so suddenly when UHC gets brought to the front, we suddenly can think about doing those things. The same people who've blocked those changes over the years, are the people putting all the effort to stop UHC.

So either we are a government for the people, or we are a government for the corporation, and UHC will be the proof of where our government representatives stand.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:48 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Academia is solidly blue and we don't need anyone questioning liberal policies within the ivory tower, which is pure and clean of conservative thought .

You've never been to Duke have you?

Old 08-13-2009, 11:18 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,349,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post

The only thing liberal about Duke, is their recruitment of athletes.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:34 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Someone should try to get the professor fired for speaking negatively about Obama's plan. Academia is solidly blue and we don't need anyone questioning liberal policies within the ivory tower, which is pure and clean of conservative thought .
Not entirely. Duke, Davidson, Georgetown, Boston College, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Washington & Lee, Hillsdale College, Pepperdine University, Rice University, Dartmouth College are all top schools that, I think, would be hard to categorize as 'blue'. So there are bright spots where a real education can be obtained versus indoctrination.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I've dated three faculty members (our school collaborates with their comp sci dept at times), all in liberal arts. So, perhaps my sample size regarding exposure is biased, based on the majors these people had (classics -- roman antiquity, history, and art). All 3 ladies were liberal to moderate and had radical friends.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:41 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,611,203 times
Quote:
You stole my line. Anyone who doesn't know that Duke University is conservative should really hold his tongue on the subject of politics in academia.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:56 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,292,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
DURHAM

The Health Care Bill

I actually agreed with everything said in the Article, but again i think we require a mix of those proposed by conservatives and those proposed by liberals.

1. Tort Reform is a must A++++++ (Doctors have complained about this for a long time and the only reason congress has not addressed this issues, is because these same insurance companies and attorney groups lobby for this, yes, can you see the conflicts of interest?)

- If we had Tort Reform a long time ago John Edwards would not be a wealthy man and many of his attorney buddies that go after doctors for malpractice suits.

Okay, so let me know if I'm reading this incorrectly. The government seems to want to operate as an additional competitor for consumers on the back of other consumers who may pay for private health care?

Competition is always a great thing right?

Okay, so if the government enters as a competitor are we to all assume they'll have the best plan and the cheapest plan?

If yes, how long will this competitive advantage last?

OR

Is the government acting as a large single payer insurance provider sort of like a company would for the 50 Million people that are insured??

Like will the government be going in with a list of 50 million people in a pool, and ask the insurance companies to give them competitively low rates based on the size of the pool they have to offer?

I could see the concern of insurance companies, but wouldn't this competitor tend to lower prices overall? Because of the size and the fact that consumers naturally will always go to the provider that offers the most for the lest amount of money?

Now, will this actually destroy the insurance companies or will the insurance companies welcome the competition and start to lower their prices and expand the coverage they offer?

I mean tax cabs compete with government sponsored public transit in most cities etc, so there are plenty of industries that are private, but government acts as a competitor and it seems to work.

I can see the fear on both sides. If I'm an insurance company to compete and retain clients I'm going to have to do the following

1. Lower my premiums
2. Extend my coverage options

This will have an adverse effect on my bottom line

1. My Margins will certainly go down
2. I may loose clients etc??

Um, it just seems to me if this happens we'll get extremely close to a single payer system. If everyone realizes government has the best option,then will the government contact like different private insurance agencies for various premium contracts?

Like how is this supposed to work???/

Old 08-13-2009, 11:58 AM

Bzzzt...Duke still liberal by a mile.

Duke Magazine-Leftward Leanings by Robert J. Bliwise-September/October 2006 (http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/dukemag/issues/091006/leftward3.html - broken link)

The percentage of self-identified liberals beat out conservatives 36.3 percent to 22.2 percent, averaged over five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies