Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 08:40 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times

Advertisements

I understand that in the private sector, bonuses imply "making more money" for the company (however that hasn't been true for the last two years which I consider a fraudulent rip-off)... However the US government DoVA gives bonuses out to its people... I can't understand it, they provide a service to veterans with taxpayer money... they don't "make" any money... so why are they getting bonuses? The bonuses are absurd.. $60k? For what? Pushing paper? One reason I hate government involvement, they haven't learn ANY responsibility when using other people's money... millions of dollars for bonuses just to come into work? WTF is going...

VA workers given millions in bonuses as vets await checks - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 08:52 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,261 times
When you compare these bonuses as a percentage of their regular salary it is especially disgusting.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:53 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,852,080 times
Hmmm, then how come one of the main Republican rallying cries is "we want to make the government operate more like a business",? I keep hearing that the government wants to attract "top level business people with good business sense" (yet somehow they got G.W. Bush) into government service". The pay scale is statutory, but bonuses are a way to do this.

golfgod

Old 08-22-2009, 12:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Why are there "bonuses" in the government?

I was wondering the same damned thing!

Apparently it is rather wide spread!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004May16.html

Old 08-22-2009, 12:18 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Hmmm, then how come one of the main Republican rallying cries is "we want to make the government operate more like a business",? I keep hearing that the government wants to attract "top level business people with good business sense" (yet somehow they got G.W. Bush) into government service". The pay scale is statutory, but bonuses are a way to do this.

golfgod
Ummm didn't people go wild over the AIG bonuses because of the bailout. The deficit is estimated to be 9 Trillion dollars, no one in government should get bonuses with this kind of performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies