Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:00 AM

38,006 posts, read 22,193,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Is the car dealer responsible for your accident? The mayor's office was responsible for not sending the letters out in time, but whatever individual or committee-head in New York State or in the municipality deemed it appropriate to send out cash is probably going to be fired.
This should be a wake up call for political party partisans who think we need more government programs that tax the rich, because the poor always need a gift from the rich in the form of taxpayer funded give-aways. If you give away something for free, with no strings attached, its wasted money, in most cases.

Some people are poor, because they are selfish, irresponsible and wasteful, the spend every scrap of money the get their hands on, with no thought to anything but instant gratification. To these people, next week, next month or next year never factor into their thought process.

Not everyone is the same, I'm know of at least one mother who said she spent that money on clothes for her children
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 08:05 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,717,269 times
just goes to show how much hate there is

Old 08-17-2009, 08:10 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,821,491 times
Some have asked what the corrollary to this story in Monroe County NY to the Obama universal health care debate. I will try my best to connect the two. The corrollary, as I see it, is trying to tie the actions and bad decision making from one activity, in this case, free money, and how it is spent, to free health care, and how the people who stand to benefit from it (i.e. the poor) will potentially abuse this privilege (because unlike so many, I don't think health care is a 'right'. Nor do I think free money is a 'right'). What you are witnessing, in the first case, are the actions of those who don't have the ability to manage their lives, in general, which, contrary to popular opinion, is what usually brings on poverty in the first place. When something is given to you, more often than not, you don't have the level of appreciation for it as if you were to earn it. You are promulgating further bad behavior, further bad making of decisions. You are not teaching any of these beneficiaries anything with regard to merit, discipline, the value of hard work, etc.

You might ask what that has to do with health care? To me, the notion of having the ability to seek medical care, for free, will lead to its inevitable abuse. People will draw from this privilege without thought of what financial circumstance might arrive as a result of it. To me, if you want to go for a checkup, I think you should have to pay for it. Fee for services. (I wonder where that notion went to in this country, incidentally) Now, if the checkup is free, what is to prohibit me from going to the doctor every two weeks for a checkup, every 2 days, for that matter? What if I am feeling lonely, and I want to talk to someone? Why not schedule an appointment, so I can complain about a mildly strain quadriceps muscle? Believe it or not, there are many, many people out there who draw from their policies very liberally, by going to the doctor for ANYTHING. I find this to be especially prevalent amongst municipal employees on city, county, and state levels of employment, because their co-pay is next to nothing. In effect, these people are benefitting from socialized medicine already. But that model is not sustainable. Look at the budgets of these governmental entities. Next to funding pension programs, medical insurance is the greatest consumer of expense. That's why so many states are having budgetary problems. To me, the proof is already out there as to what universal health care will bring. Look at your county, your state budgets. There's no money left. That's because there is a segment of this country that already is on socialized medicine (public workers). I don't know when people will learn the simple notion in this country that nothing is for free. It costs money.

God bless FDR and his New Deal. Because of it, we've had 70 years of "I'm entitled". And look what we have to show for it right now as a result. The country is broke. And you need look no further than what was being reported by that citizen in Monroe County NY as a result of why we are that way today.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:20 AM

751 posts, read 2,482,527 times
If the people didn't know they were getting the money for school supplies, than it is not fraud to spend it elswhere. And this has nothing to do with Obama. It has to do with the welfare program handing out cash to people without telling them what it was for.

If I was to have money show up in my account unexpectedly, I would spend it immediately! Actually, that just happened to me. I had a deposit of $250 show up a few weeks ago. Woohoo! Of course I am smart enough to figure out it was my ex-husband's garnished stimulus check. See what happens when you never pay your child support! And it was spent by the end of the day.

Why would a poor person save that money? That is not going to get them anything. They will just have a couple hundred dollars sitting in a bank collecting 3 cents a month in interest. That's really gonna do them some good.

I understand this specific program was supposed to be for school supplies, but if you don't tell them that before hand, that's your fault, not theirs. And why would they think, oh I should spend this on school stuff, when the church program gets their kids stuff for free?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:21 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,186,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
This should be a wake up call for political party partisans who think we need more government programs that tax the rich, because the poor always need a gift from the rich in the form of taxpayer funded give-aways. If you give away something for free, with no strings attached, its wasted money, in most cases.

Some people are poor, because they are selfish, irresponsible and wasteful, the spend every scrap of money the get their hands on, with no thought to anything but instant gratification. To these people, next week, next month or next year never factor into their thought process.

Not everyone is the same, I'm know of at least one mother who said she spent that money on clothes for her children
Well, she's no fun.

In the other thread on this someone cut through the hate-thickets and said, Well, how should the money have been distributed (assuming it had to be allocated in the first place)? Some suggestions were to offer vouchers with time limits, or give it to the school district to buy the school supplies.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:23 AM

11,579 posts, read 13,961,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
just goes to show how much hate there is
Yes. Why should people care if money allotted for children school supplies is used on TV's, Cigs, Beer or who knows what. Haters.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
If the people didn't know they were getting the money for school supplies, than it is not fraud to spend it elswhere. And this has nothing to do with Obama. It has to do with the welfare program handing out cash to people without telling them what it was for.

If I was to have money show up in my account unexpectedly, I would spend it immediately! Actually, that just happened to me. I had a deposit of $250 show up a few weeks ago. Woohoo! Of course I am smart enough to figure out it was my ex-husband's garnished stimulus check. See what happens when you never pay your child support! And it was spent by the end of the day.

Why would a poor person save that money? That is not going to get them anything. They will just have a couple hundred dollars sitting in a bank collecting 3 cents a month in interest. That's really gonna do them some good.

I understand this specific program was supposed to be for school supplies, but if you don't tell them that before hand, that's your fault, not theirs. And why would they think, oh I should spend this on school stuff, when the church program gets their kids stuff for free?
Agree.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post

Old 08-17-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Yes. Why should people care if money allotted for children school supplies is used on TV's, Cigs, Beer or who knows what. Haters.
The people didnt know what the money was for. It just appeared in their accounts. By the time the letters arrived explaining its purpose some people had already spent it. 1phwalls explains it well.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The people didnt know what the money was for. It just appeared in their accounts. By the time the letters arrived explaining its purpose some people had already spent it. 1phwalls explains it well.
Ok. So I'll guess we should be getting some reports of long lines at the Wal-Marts with all those folks returning those TV's and X-Boxes since they NOW know just what that money was for. I won't hold my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies