Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:11 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Hmm......so when that gay couple down the street decide they want to get married & go get the license, do the blood test, THEN are they allowed to get married?
No, because they don't meet the requirements set by the state to allow marriage. You want to change the states requirements, run for office, get elected, and then make a change. Complaining about it on these boards, while enjoyable, solves nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 01:12 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Nope, it won't, and that's why the carping from some is just more useless noise. The only immediate impact will be that the federal government will have to recognize same-sex marriages where they are legal. This seems entirely logical to me. It's crazy that same-sex married couples in the six states where it's legal have to file their federal tax returns as if they are unmarried.

This will also allow same-sex married couples to receive the federal benefits that opposite-sex married couples do. From what I've read, there are over 1000 federal benefits that married couples get.

Ok I got it but I am still confused about something. I thought Obama said he thought marriage was between a man and a woman? I have no problem with it I was just wondering where he stood on it.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:14 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Are you against allowing same-sex couples to marry? If so, why?
Yes I am against it, why because it is a sin to have a man laying with a man or a woman laying with a woman. I am also against it for other more mundane reasons, namely that it destroys the social fabric of our communities and harms our rate of reproduction which must be maintained at a certain level in order for our society to survive.

Go ahead and flame away now.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:27 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Yes I am against it, why because it is a sin to have a man laying with a man or a woman laying with a woman. I am also against it for other more mundane reasons, namely that it destroys the social fabric of our communities and harms our rate of reproduction which must be maintained at a certain level in order for our society to survive.

Go ahead and flame away now.
Um, hate to break it to you, but homosexuality has been around for a loooooooong time & I see no decline in the amount of babies being popped out due to homosexuals being allowed to live together or have relationships. But if it makes you feel warm & fuzzy to fall back on that lame excuse, you go right ahead.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:29 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD2.0 View Post
Why is it that, for some reason, I knew that you would have my back on that?
There's a cheap joke in that statement, but I'll refrain.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
No, because they don't meet the requirements set by the state to allow marriage. You want to change the states requirements, run for office, get elected, and then make a change. Complaining about it on these boards, while enjoyable, solves nothing.
Ahhh, but you see, according to you, you weren't just "allowed" to run out & get hitched. You had to go thru the oh so painful & debilitating procedure of getting a license & a blood test. Phew, that IS a process just to be able to get married. How awful for you! But wait.....to me, that is no hardship. To me, that shows that you still have a right to get married. If it were a privilege, SURELY it would be MUCH more difficult to proclaim to the world that you're married then just going out & getting a license, wouldn't you agree? After all, even getting a driver's license you have to go thru classes plus a written AND driving test.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:31 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
You know what? I really don't care arctic, I for one think all people should be allowed to get married. It's called equal rights, something you obviously no nothing about nor care about.
You're seeking a privilege not a right. Licenses grant privileges.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Ok I got it but I am still confused about something. I thought Obama said he thought marriage was between a man and a woman? I have no problem with it I was just wondering where he stood on it.
He has stated that that is his personal opinion. He has also said that the decision about same-sex marriage should be left up to each individual state.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You're seeking a privilege not a right. Licenses grant privileges.
You people aren't getting it, are you? Even if you INSIST it's not a right, the fact that heteros can easily get married shows inequality...yes? I mean, how hard is it to understand this? It also shows that in & of itself, marriage is basically a right for heteros. If it was not a RIGHT, it would be much more difficult to get married.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Yes I am against it, why because it is a sin to have a man laying with a man or a woman laying with a woman.
Our laws aren't based on religion or the Bible - or at least they're not supposed to be.

Quote:
I am also against it for other more mundane reasons, namely that it destroys the social fabric of our communities and harms our rate of reproduction which must be maintained at a certain level in order for our society to survive.
How does it destroy the social fabric or harm our rate of reproduction? You can't turn homosexuals into heterosexuals by banning same-sex marriage. Same-sex couples who want to have kids will find a way to do it, just as they always have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies