Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:50 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,757,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
I've been reading a lot of conservatives on C-D claim that they are losing their freedoms. Can you please explain this in detail?
I am losing my freedom to keep the money that I work hard to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 04:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,094,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americaloveitorlveit View Post
Remember 40 years ago when the school day was started with the Pledge of Allegiance? I always thought we said the Pledge because we were proud to be American.
Silly me, and I thought it was because the teachers made us.

Quote:
The more people come into our country, the more they want to change it into where they came from.
That's been the nativist canard since the 18th century.

Quote:
Now, here comes Obama, who wasn't raised in America,
Obama lived outside of the United States for a grand total of 4 years, that's less than many military brats.

Quote:
I'm sorry,
I couldn't agree more. But there is a cure for ignorance.

Quote:
Perhaps he would then know that we never have nor do we now need the government doing our thinking for us.
It is becoming ever more clear that someone needs to.

Quote:
I hope that Obama and everyone that agrees with him, is beginning to realize how strong and determined the American people are when it comes to loosing any of our freedoms.
We do, that's why we elected him.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:53 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,094,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
You lost that "freedom" when the Constitution was written and when the 16th Amendment to the Constitution was ratified 96 years ago. So unless you are 96 years or older, you are claiming a right that you have never enjoyed.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:53 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,231,085 times
Quote:
How so?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:55 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,999,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Isn't that all we heard for the past 8 years?
I never brought up the last eight years. I want to know about right now. How are you losing your freedoms? I want specifics.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:56 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,999,878 times
Quote:
I asked for the OP (or anyone that claims that they are losing freedoms) to explain in detail what you are losing. Buck up and post some details.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:58 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,762,858 times
We are losing our freedom to retire at a decent age. We are losing or have lost the freedom to bank with a bank that is not government run and buy a car the kind of car I want to buy that the government does not own. We are in danger of losing the right to bear arms, to our freedom of speech. When a government decides who can own a radio station or what the host is allowed to say that is a loss whether you agree with the station or not. The right to voice your opinion on a blog or through an email without the government watching every word you type, freedom is lost. The right to pick and chose my health care insurance is being threatened. The right to say when my 94 year old mother has had enough and not have a government hack tell me was almost lost. I miss the 60's, I really do and I was one of those long haired hippies singing Freedom with Richie Haven. It was a different freedom we were wanting, the right to be ourselves to live in a society that did accept the differences amongst us, not one where we exchange victims. The democratic party is one of oppression today, one of absolute power and that is sad.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,680,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We are losing our freedom to retire at a decent age. We are losing or have lost the freedom to bank with a bank that is not government run and buy a car the kind of car I want to buy that the government does not own. We are in danger of losing the right to bear arms, to our freedom of speech. When a government decides who can own a radio station or what the host is allowed to say that is a loss whether you agree with the station or not. The right to voice your opinion on a blog or through an email without the government watching every word you type, freedom is lost. The right to pick and chose my health care insurance is being threatened. The right to say when my 94 year old mother has had enough and not have a government hack tell me was almost lost. I miss the 60's, I really do and I was one of those long haired hippies singing Freedom with Richie Haven. It was a different freedom we were wanting, the right to be ourselves to live in a society that did accept the differences amongst us, not one where we exchange victims. The democratic party is one of oppression today, one of absolute power and that is sad.
None of those things have happened.

How has your freedom to retire been taken away?
You can bank at a non Govt bank.
You can buy a car from a non Govt car company
You have not lost the right to bear arms
You have not lost the right to freedom of speech
You can still voice your opinion on blogs and email
You can still get your own health insurance
No one was gonna kill Grandma, but a question, is your mother on Medicare?

Paranoia.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:14 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,346,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
The pledge of allegiance is nationalist, not patriotic.
Not trying to hijack the thread in another direction, but you say nationalist like it's a bad word. What is nationalism...it's an ideology, a sentiment, a form of culture, or a social movement that focuses on the nation. A little nationalism goes a long way, without it we fall apart as a country.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:14 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,418,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americaloveitorlveit View Post
Remember 40 years ago when the school day was started with the Pledge of Allegiance? I always thought we said the Pledge because we were proud to be American.
The more people come into our country, the more they want to change it into where they came from. I thought they wanted to be here because of what America is.
Now, here comes Obama, who wasn't raised in America, and he thinks we need to change everything. I'm sorry, he couldn't possibly understand how great this country is. I wonder, if he had been brought up here when he was a little boy, instead of attending Muslim schools and being raised in that culture, would he still want to make all of the changes to our country that he claims we need to make? Perhaps he would then know that we never have nor do we now need the government doing our thinking for us.
I hope that Obama and everyone that agrees with him, is beginning to realize how strong and determined the American people are when it comes to loosing any of our freedoms.
We haven't had a town hall meeting where I live yet, but when we do, I'll be there along with everyone else, to make sure my voice is heard.
BTW, I didn't say he wasn't born here, and he did attend school in another country.
Listen,

We aren't the freest country in the world, we are 19th

USA is the 19th freest country in the world.

We aren't the richest country in the world, we are the 8th

Richest Countries in the World

We don't have the best healthcare system in the world, we are the 37th

The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems

We don't have the best education system in the world, our students score C's compared to the rest of the world

The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems

So, knowing all of these facts, how can you say that America is still the best?

We aren't the best, at just about anything. We are the most religious nation in the world.

I'm not saying I want to leave my country, I was born an American, and I love my country. What many of "us" want to do, is to make us the best. That doesn't necessarily mean making us into France, Finland, or Ireland, but it does mean we should at least look at them. Simply saying, "America is number 1!" doesn't make it so. You've got to work at it, and thats what we want.

I haven't seen where President Obama wants to take away any of your freedoms. He wants to reform health insurance, and thats something that needs to be done. He has even backed off the dreaded "public option" that people are so scared of. I don't like everything he is doing, but saying he is taking away your freedom is just asinine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies