Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 09:15 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
IMO, a believer would end up proselytizing, they would not be able to maintain their objectivity and that would make them an inappropriate teacher for the course.

And I feel that a non-believer would not be able to truly teach the significance of the Bible to believers. In order to trult teach how the Bible has impacted believers lives I feel you must be a believer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 09:16 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
You're even behind my home state of South Carolina!

No wonder you're turning to Jesus.............
A definite correlation between the Bible Belt and the Dumb Belt....

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Texas is dismal.. I'll give you a link right here.

This 2007 report was commissioned by the state of Texas.

It says, among other things that Texas is among the worst states for raising children. It's #1 in pollution. It's the number one state of people without health insurance. It's the 2nd worst state for voter turnout of women. It's the 5th worst state for children living in poverty. And it ranks 50th (50th!) for people with a High School diploma.

And on and on and on.
Many of those statistics are poor because the border area is bringing the entire state down. It's a big state.

Are there problems? Yes. Is it the hell some of you want it to be (so you can have a state to make fun of)? No.

Some other stats...
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed- Texas is exactly in the middle (#25) for percent of people who have a Bachelor's or higher

Unemployment rates - Unemployment rates by state from CNNMoney - 19th lowest percent of people unemployed

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2009 at 06:27 AM..

841 posts, read 2,260,666 times
Texas can burn in flames for all I care-- this mediocre state with overwhelming number of simpletons gets no pity from me!

Old 08-17-2009, 09:17 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
80.1 48 California
79.0 49 Kentucky
78.8 50 Texas

You're even behind my home state of South Carolina!

No wonder you're turning to Jesus.............
The heaven on earth of California (the way you liberals see it) is not doing much better than us.

That fits my assertion that the border is what's pulling us (and CA) down.

559 posts, read 1,463,967 times
Like it or not, the Bible is the most important piece of literature ever written, even if your not religious.

Thinking otherwise is just ignorant.

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
I'm glad I graduated high school this year.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:20 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The heaven on earth of California (the way you liberals see it) is not doing much better than us.

That fits my assertion that the border is what's pulling us (and CA) down.

California is a prime example of a "Something for nothing state" (Prop 13.)

NOT a liberal state.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:21 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
And I feel that a non-believer would not be able to truly teach the significance of the Bible to believers. In order to trult teach how the Bible has impacted believers lives I feel you must be a believer.
The course is not intended to teach the significance of the Bible to believers. It is to teach how the Bible influenced the founding of this country. Facts, not beliefs.

Your post is a perfect example of how it would be impossible for believers to be objective about the course curriculum and to avoid proselytizing.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:21 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's an elective course in high school.
Why did Texas decide that it needs to force all public high schools to offer this elective, as long as 15 students sign up for it?

Does the state of Texas mandate that all public high schools offer Drama, Psychology, Greek Mythology, Human Sexuality, Buddhism or Philosophy electives, if at least 15 students want those classes, too?

Why did the state government decide that it was necessary to enact a law forcing all public schools to offer this particular class as an elective to interested students, when (as far as I know) the state has not mandated that all public schools offer any other "elective" courses besides the Bible course to students interested in other elective topics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies