Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 05:18 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,719 times

Advertisements

I am outraged with all the wild and uncontrollable spending in Washington. Democrats and Republicans are both to blame for this. They've all had power at one time or another. They only care about what is good for them at the moment and the hell with the rest of the country and future generations. I'm wondering, what happens when China no longer gives us any more money? How will we fund our deficit? I guess we can always print money like so many third world countries have had to in the past. I for one don't believe that the national debt has a prayer of being paid back - ever! It's too big and we no longer have the ability or will to control it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 05:45 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Thnaks decemebergirl for setting me straight.
Guess I'll ask my kids to turn their credit cards over to me so I can have what I want now and I bet they'll be thrilled to pay for it all later.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:07 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,104,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
SO are you outraged about the spending being done now?

Saddling future generations with insurmountable debt is wrong I believe....right?
I'll be outraged about this if you'll agree that Reagan was inept and did the same thing and that we are now trying to spend to get out of the messes he laid the foundation for. His policies and attitudes that he fostered in this country put us in our current recession.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:24 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Were you outraged over the debt run up over last eight years?
Virtually every Democrat I know or have read were outraged at the Bush administration squandering a budget surplus while promising guns AND butter during his first term.

As for being outraged at present levels of spending, no, because you have to do what you have to do reverse the whole that we as a nation have dug for ourselves. But one a smaller whole it would have been had Bush not squandered the surplus on his war of choice. The $804 billion in direct costs spent on the war exceeds all direct moneys spent on TARP, by some studies the total economic impact is $1.3 trillion, more than the entire simulus package.

The wars didn't cause the economic meltdown, but the moneys used to prosecute them have severely handicapped any recovery from its effects.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:42 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,999,584 times
Default No Time Better than the Present to Loose Guilty Feelings

Each generation should pay for what they use, it's called pay as you go. AND, each generation should pass a BETTER standard of living to the next. Sorry you feel your generation was passed over when it came to having the benefit of knowing you did the right thing...there's still time to make it all better, if only you can open your wallet to pay the bills that have been incurred.

Schools, roads, police departments, prisons, public sewage and water, and a host of other projects have been neglected. All this while money is taken out of the system for fancy vacations, bigger cars, and other conspicuous consumption. I think you know what I'm saying.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:49 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
I get so tired of hearing people talk about anything that the Obama administration does as being a burden of "more taxes for my children and my grandchildren" while the same people let everything else go to pot. What a bunch of phoney altruism! Lies, lies, lies. I am sure that when granddad is telling little Johnny "well sonny, you may have no house, and no job and no health care but at least you didn't have to pay more taxes....well, actually you did but at least you didn't have to pay taxes on something that I was against so just think of that when you are suffering, that at least I got to stand on my soap box and wave my scruples flag. All for you of course." Just you wait, one of these future generations will wake up and when they do you will not need to fear the government because they will be your death panel for I would never care for the generation that did not care for mine. You young people keep that in mind next time this generation or the ones that came before it criticize you for the mess that they left you to clean up and remember that you don't owe them or me a thing. Just let us burn.
""""well sonny, you may have no house, and no job and no health care but at least you didn't have to pay more taxes....well, actually you did but at least you didn't have to pay taxes on something that I was against """

Yes, it's tragic how stupid the repubs are and their stupidity and evilness will bring down this nation to Third World satus.

They HATE the thought that a penny of their taxes would go to help anyone else.....

BUT

they LOVE the idea that Americans' wages will go to the few hundred or so wealthiest people at the top.

They don't mind that 1/4, and then 1/2, their wages will go towards Health Care PREMIUMS (NOT health care) and that so few will benefit (including THEMSELVES!!!).

They don't mind how much of their wages go for NOTHING but increasing the wealth of the wealthy.....

Old 08-18-2009, 07:12 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Virtually every Democrat I know or have read were outraged at the Bush administration squandering a budget surplus while promising guns AND butter during his first term.

As for being outraged at present levels of spending, no, because you have to do what you have to do reverse the whole that we as a nation have dug for ourselves. But one a smaller whole it would have been had Bush not squandered the surplus on his war of choice. The $804 billion in direct costs spent on the war exceeds all direct moneys spent on TARP, by some studies the total economic impact is $1.3 trillion, more than the entire simulus package.

The wars didn't cause the economic meltdown, but the moneys used to prosecute them have severely handicapped any recovery from its effects.
Of course the spending NOW is good,it is your little puppet in the Whitehouse...

By the way,how much has YOUR guy reduced the spending on these wars you so hate???LOL...

Old 08-18-2009, 07:31 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,233,789 times
Save yer outrage...

Old 08-18-2009, 07:34 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,999,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Save yer outrage...
Stack up the grey lines under Bush and compare them to a year or two of Obama. Shocking, quite shocking.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:04 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
LOL. Future generations are not being saddled with anything. They are not going to pay off the current debt any more than current or past generations have paid off the debt that they inherited. About a billion dollars worth of Civil War debts are still on the books. No one has ever paid them off and no one ever will. Debt is a tool. It would be foolish not to use it.

The Chinese are not going to call in our debt because they can't. The securities that they hold are payable at maturity and not until. They will stop buying our debt when they stop having a dollar-denominated trade surpluses. If that happened, their GDP would fall and there would be significant internal social and political unrest. China continues to hold US Treasury securities because there are no better places to invest dollars. If there were, they would have invested in them already.

For all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, spending is but a few hundred billion ahead of what a straight-line projection of the past eight years would have been. Hardly uncalled for given the recession-related drops in consumer and business spending.

For our vision-impaired readers, there is a HUGE difference between Bush's spending and Obama's spending. Bush had no reason at all to turn a huge surplus into a huge deficit. He simply slashed taxes and cranked up spending for the hell of it. He had myriad other choices and the fool rejected all of them. Obama has no alternatives at all. Aggregate demand is in the tank, and the long-predicted effects of having no national policy for energy and health care are about to gobble us up. It's no fun to be standing on the railroad tracks when the train finally comes. Action is imperative at this point.

Republicans have no plans to address these problems. Rather than come up with any, they prefer to oppose the plans of everybody else for fear that those might work and earn political credit for the people who came up with them. Essentially, they have extricated themselves from the actual debate, and frankly, if they are going to leave the room like this, someone should simply go over and shut the door behind them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies