Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Crime is Worse To You?
Rape 0 0%
Child Molestation 11 33.33%
Murder 21 63.64%
No Opinion 1 3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:17 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times

Advertisements

Murder ends a life, rape and molestation change the course of one. You can't come back from dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 10:05 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
No, you cant come back from the dead, but as another poster stated, murder can be accidental. Car crashes, misdiagnosis by a doctor, gun accidentally goes off, etc. There is no such thing as accidental rape. There is no such thing as accidental molestation of a child.

I guess another question would be is whether or not intent makes an action evil or not.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:23 AM

25,744 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
No, you cant come back from the dead, but as another poster stated, murder can be accidental. Car crashes, misdiagnosis by a doctor, gun accidentally goes off, etc. There is no such thing as accidental rape. There is no such thing as accidental molestation of a child.

I guess another question would be is whether or not intent makes an action evil or not.
I believe when we are talking murder, we are assuming the crime of murder. I don't think there is accidental murder, since, after all, they are dead. There is negligent homicide, but even that isn't considered outright murder. And accidental deaths are certainly not the same as murder. When we talk murder, we're talking about somebody who knew what they wanted to do and did it.

Also, I've never met a murder victim after their murder that overcame the crime. Come to think of it, I haven't ever met a murder victim after a murder. I have met victims of child molestation who have overcome the horror--I was married to one. She had a hard time with it and carried some 'baggage' because of it. But had she been murdered, I would never have had the joy of knowing her and she never would have had the chance to overcome the horrible crime she endured. And I believe that would have been the greater tragedy.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:06 AM

508 posts, read 1,107,664 times
I believe all of the options given in this poll are a form of murder
therefore all of them are equally wrong
and so I also believe they cannot be prioritized.

I'm sorry to argue the point of this debate but IMO, to consider rating one type of evil over another is not adding value to one's further understanding of the world. I live in a hot or cold perspective.

And by the way, all of the forms of violence in this debate are not only equal in my eyes, but also are deserving of the death penalty for many religions, etc... It's my observation that our current society is what has become indifferent to the notion of 'absolutes' governing us and this change could be very dangerous in return toward society.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:08 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
All three should be capital crimes.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:10 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post

Murder is never accidental. Accidentally kiilling someone is not murder, its accidental death.

Murder is the deliberate intentional killing of another innocent person.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:55 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
i have to agree.

there can be healing from rape and molestation. not from murder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Most survivors of rape and child molestation end up being productive members of society and have the opportunity to make the world a better place. Their friends and loved ones can see or speak to them every day. Victims of murder, and their friends and family, have none of that. So, I'd say that murder is the worst crime. As heinous as rape and child molestation are - they still offer possibilities for recovery - to the victim and the families - that murder does not.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:17 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Murder is never accidental. Accidentally kiilling someone is not murder, its accidental death.

Murder is the deliberate intentional killing of another innocent person.
Thats not 100% true. Did the drunk guy mean to run over an innocent person? No. Does that make him any less liable, no. It was still an accident, and it could have been prevented, but its still Murder.

Parents have been charged with murder for leaving firearms loaded, and unsecured in the house.

There are lots of examples where murder was the charge, but no one meant for it to happen.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:33 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Murder because the victim can't benefit from justice.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I never thought I'd ever be playing the "if it happened to your family" card, but there comes a time for everything.

Which would be worse? Your child gets murdered, or your child gets playfully patted on the butt by an uncle (legally qualifying as sexual child molestation).

So far, 36% of you would prefer to have your child murdered, as the lesser of the crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies