Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:04 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,068,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Wrong. They aren't there to do what "they" feel is right. They are our representatives, and should be doing what "we" think is right. And I am sorry to tell you all, but there is a large portion of this country who disapprove of this healthcare plan. In fact, the latest numbers I've seen show more people against it than for it. This whole idea of Dems "going it alone" is ludicrous, but I've known all along that's where we'd end up because for one, they aren't going to listen to the people and two, it's the only way they could ever pass this ridiculous bill that places yet another government mandate on the people of this supposedly free democratic country. And 3, this is how they've been playing the game since they got their Democratic president in office. As you said, they currently have the majority, so they plan to do as they please regardless of what the people want. Only problem is, that isn't the way it's supposed to go, and they will indeed reap the benefits of this vote in the coming election year. They better do all they can before 2010, because after that they will no longer be in control.

But I think they know that already, and that is why Obama is pushing all his legislation so hard right now. He is trying to get everything he wants passed through before they lose their majority standing. This whole mess is nothing more than a big political game to these politicians. They have no real stake in the plan because they will never be affected by it's programs. They aren't listening to the people because frankly, they just don't care what anyone has to say on the issue. They want to pass it, and they are going to pass it, regardless of the outcome. Luckily, there is always the chance to repeal.
This my friends is a very serious and thoughtout post. It speaks volumes of truth of what the American people really want and feel. At least most of the American citizens that I've run across really feel this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 12:06 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,018,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
and another one here too folks. These people are leeches on this forum, they are a hinderance to our society, they want to bring the USA down to their level, which isn't very high.

I see vitriol, nothing else.

Are ya waiting for a bus to a town hall?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:09 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,819,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
And the minute he signs a healthcare bill without bi-partisan support he turns into a lame duck president.
No, he doesn't. The base will love him and moderates will still support him if the economy is better. Especially since the GOP really has no candidate or heir apparent.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Lol, let them. They will lose the house & senate in 2010.
If they don't do it they will lose for SURE because the base will not rally for them. If they do it, they may or may not lose but even if they do, it will be for less than they would lose not doing it.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:13 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,349,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Woo hoooooooo!
Let us know how happy you are when you and your family loses your private insurance and is forced on piece of s*** Government plan!

Enjoy the tax hikes as well.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Wrong. They aren't there to do what "they" feel is right. They are our representatives, and should be doing what "we" think is right. And I am sorry to tell you all, but there is a large portion of this country who disapprove of this healthcare plan. In fact, the latest numbers I've seen show more people against it than for it. This whole idea of Dems "going it alone" is ludicrous, but I've known all along that's where we'd end up because for one, they aren't going to listen to the people and two, it's the only way they could ever pass this ridiculous bill that places yet another government mandate on the people of this supposedly free democratic country. And 3, this is how they've been playing the game since they got their Democratic president in office. As you said, they currently have the majority, so they plan to do as they please regardless of what the people want. Only problem is, that isn't the way it's supposed to go, and they will indeed reap the benefits of this vote in the coming election year. They better do all they can before 2010, because after that they will no longer be in control.

But I think they know that already, and that is why Obama is pushing all his legislation so hard right now. He is trying to get everything he wants passed through before they lose their majority standing. This whole mess is nothing more than a big political game to these politicians. They have no real stake in the plan because they will never be affected by it's programs. They aren't listening to the people because frankly, they just don't care what anyone has to say on the issue. They want to pass it, and they are going to pass it, regardless of the outcome. Luckily, there is always the chance to repeal.
A good number of the people who oppose this are Republicans who voted for John McCain and GW Bush before him. They are not going to vote Democratic under any circumstances. That is why the Democrats had better wise up and remember who brought them to the dance.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Let us know how happy you are when you and your family loses your private insurance and is forced on piece of s*** Government plan!

Enjoy the tax hikes as well.
1. "If you like your insurance, you KEEP your insurance and if you like your doctor you KEEP your doctor"

2. " No new taxes on anybody making less than $130,000 a year or a couple making $230,000 a year".

What PART of these do people have a hard time understanding?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:30 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,349,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
1. "If you like your insurance, you KEEP your insurance and if you like your doctor you KEEP your doctor"

2. " No new taxes on anybody making less than $130,000 a year or a couple making $230,000 a year".

What PART of these do people have a hard time understanding?
The fact that they are false. The house bill will enact a mandate. If employers choose the fine instead of offering coverage (which is cheaper), they will drop the current plan the company and its employees have. In addition, there is a clause saying that if you change you existing plan in any way (even minor adjustments), you will have to re-enroll in a Government approved plan.

Too late for the tax portion. There has already been an increase on cigarette taxes at the federal level, regardless of the purchasers' incomes.

What part of 'think for yourself' do you not understand?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:34 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,944,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I read that too, but I suspect Obama has a pretty healthy ego and would very much like to be a two term president. I think his congressional majority is in trouble though, America always gets uncomfortable with one party in charge.
The best thing that can happen is to have the Republicans in charge of the Congress. That will mean stalemate in DC. That is when the people are protected best. Logjam means power to the people.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:49 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,460,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post

No they're not.
Oh goodie, this game again!

Yes they are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies