Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 07:41 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,899,855 times

Advertisements

dick Dick Bo Bick
banana fanna bo Bick
fee fie foe Vick
sick

(from an old song by Shirley Ellis. I kinda twisted it)

Old 09-05-2009, 09:13 PM

315 posts, read 776,195 times
Dog fighting is a disgusting criminal act. What Vick did was criminal and ethically disgusting. However, as our laws are written, that we all live by, and we vote to elect our government to write those laws......Vick paid his debt to society. He screwed up and it cost him his freedom for two years and his entire fortune. I'm not here to analyze if he got enough time or not, just to point out, he did accept full responsibility for his crimes. He did pay for it both in money and loss of his freedom. Based on that, he deserves a second chance.

The FBI studies on crime, indicates most all people have engaged in some form of a criminal act throughout their life that could and likely would land them in prison if known. Most, more then 80% never get caught. With that line of thought, who will cast the first stone? I can't stand Vick, always thought he was a over rated prick of a football player. I'm a huge dog lover too, but according to the society we have built, he paid for his crimes and we should all let him get on with his life. If he does it again, start throwing stones. Until then, lets all see where it leads.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:13 AM

481 posts, read 943,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Guess I just don't get it.

We, as a society arrest people put them on trial and if found guilty give them a jail sentence.

We say "you must pay your debt to society" do your time and then come out and start your life as a contributing member of society.

Well Vick has done his time, forfeited millions of dollars, his debt has been paid!!

It's strange that the same people who believe this, won't apply it to Vick.

Seems pretty judgemental and two faced to me !
Hmmm, so let me ask you this. If a pedophile went to prison and "paid his debt to society" you would have no problem letting him babysit your kids?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:43 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Vick paid his debt to society for the crime of dogfighting, yes. However, he got a pass on personally torturing and abusing dogs with his bare hands, not a felony crime, but a real insight into his lack of decency or character.
I think the Eagles are well within their rights to hire the guy. And I hope that every fan will write or call advertisers and promise to never buy a single thing as long as Vick is on the team and those advertisers are supporting the team.
The Eagles will never feel the pain- waiting lists for season tickets for years. But the advertisers? You can enjoy a game and ticket and never buy the overpriced stuff that goes with it. Or call the beer company or whoever is buying commercials. Believe me, that works.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:15 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,612,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Hmmm, so let me ask you this. If a pedophile went to prison and "paid his debt to society" you would have no problem letting him babysit your kids?
I'm so tired of hearing this lame comparison. Its apples and oranges. Maybe we should kill off people who cheat on thier taxes too cuz they are criminals as well.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
I'm so tired of hearing this lame comparison. Its apples and oranges. Maybe we should kill off people who cheat on thier taxes too cuz they are criminals as well.
How about actually answerign the question. Deflection does not work with me.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:14 PM

315 posts, read 776,195 times
Quote:
You are the typical hypocrite. There is no answer to the question you have posed, as it does not relate in any way to the topic at hand. You cannot even classify someone who molests children with dog fighting. The law, punishments, society and so on do not view them as even being comparable. So your argument is flawed from the very beginning!

Old 09-06-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
You are the typical hypocrite. There is no answer to the question you have posed, as it does not relate in any way to the topic at hand. You cannot even classify someone who molests children with dog fighting. The law, punishments, society and so on do not view them as even being comparable. So your argument is flawed from the very beginning!
I am not classifying them as the same. My post was in response to the previous poster who said that we are being unfair because once he has paid his debt to society, everything shoudl go back to normal and that anyone who refuses to buy apparel from his sponsers and not want to pay for his royalities are "judgemental and two faced". Those were his words to me, that I was judgemental and two faced for not letting by gones be bygones. So in my attempt to make him, and you, understand how we feel I posed the question about pedophiles. And obviously from your unwillingness to answer, I assume you would answer "No, I don't want an ex-pedophile to watch my kids". To which I would say, see it's not as easy for people to say things are now square because you paid your "debt to society". And that sir, is my point. That part of one's retribution for breaking the law and being in jail is not just jail time, but also the responsibilty knowing that people will not look at you the same and earning societies trust will take time and effort, more htne just a lax videotaped apology and time in jail.

So don't get on your moral high horse and look down on us for not giving a man who funded years of animal abuse and torture a warm welcome back into society. Because I promise that for you, there woudl be certain crimes that you mgiht not be willing to so easily forgive either. That doesn't make you "two faced", it makes you human.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:58 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,183 times
Interesting.

Exclusive: Favre, Vick At Top Of Jersey List - Sports Biz with Darren Rovell - CNBC.com

Old 09-06-2009, 04:35 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,612,749 times
Quote:

Apperently neither does common sense or rational intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies