Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:53 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,810,071 times

Advertisements

What's up with US territories???? Why don't we just make them states? Do they not want to be states? Do they pay taxes? What services do they get? All in all, What goes along with being a US territory?

Old 08-20-2009, 03:29 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
What's up with US territories???? Why don't we just make them states? Do they not want to be states? Do they pay taxes? What services do they get? All in all, What goes along with being a US territory?
They get all of the rights you enjoy, except they don't get voting rights in the Senate or the house. For instance, Puerto Rico has people who represent them in the Senate, but they don't vote.

I know Puerto Rico wants to be a state, at least they did. However, their yearly population isn't high enough to be considered a state. There are some other hurdles they've got to jump to become a state, but I don't remember what they all are. Also, there is a UN rule that doesn't allow certain territories to become states, that may have part to do with it as well.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:54 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Its a bunch of BS is what it is... they enjoy protection and tax dollars from the Federal government... they get to vote in the primaries... they get to collect social security, medicare, etc... and they pay ZERO federal income taxes to the US... what a load of crap... they are "automatically" citizens of the US if they move over to the states... WTF is going on sometimes with our government...

Old 10-08-2009, 02:02 PM
ncc

95 posts, read 304,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Its a bunch of BS is what it is... they enjoy protection and tax dollars from the Federal government... they get to vote in the primaries... they get to collect social security, medicare, etc... and they pay ZERO federal income taxes to the US... what a load of crap... they are "automatically" citizens of the US if they move over to the states... WTF is going on sometimes with our government...

F.Y.I

1). Residents pay social security and medicare (Isn't that part of fed tax?)

2.) They can't vote in presidential elections. If you have a fed job, you pay fed taxes back in the States..

3.) Resident receive welfare/housing/family food card, but it's a lot less than what States receive.

4.) U.S citizenship was imposed on them (Not that it's a bad thing, but it was) Their citizenship could be taken away at any time through Congress, because it isn't guaranteed through the U.S Constitution.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:45 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Holdovers from U.S. imperialism. We took them, they didn't voluntarily join the U.S. Both Hawaii and Alaska were once territories, and both were illegally made states. All territories (and also Hawaii and Alaska) should be allowed to vote and decide if they want independence or statehood.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:24 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
The Senate for one reason. If they became a state they would get senators. Do you really want a tiny island like Guam or Samoa having the same say in national matters as California does?

57,000 is the total population of American Samoa.

80,000 people in the Northern Mariana Islands.

108,000 in the US Virgin Islands.

Those three combined are less than Wyoming, the current least populated state.

Puerto Rico is the only territory with a significant population.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:12 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,598,211 times
There is also the issue of how well would these islands assimilate into the United States. What I mean is how "American" do people on these islands feel?! The answer is that they are more loyal to their local identity rather than solely being American. American Samoans, for example, see themselves as Samoan first and American a distant second. Also, how "American" would the islands be seen by the residents of the US Mainland?! What historical and social connections does the Northern Mariana Islands have with someone from Massachusetts.

Therefore, I believe that much of the issue has to do with culture and identity rather than just economics. Listen to the debates over Puerto Rican statehood and you will see my point.

On the other hand, perhaps the political status of some of these territories can be adjusted. Perhaps, Guam should become a commonwealth and perhaps even reunited with the Marianas. Perhaps, American Samoa could vote whether to join Western Samoa or become a commonwealth. Perhaps, the USVI could become a commonwealth or some other entity. However, statehood...I do not see this as likely at all in the next 30 years.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:21 AM

227 posts, read 283,560 times
I think everyone needs to take a look at this video and see the true racism and marginalization of these groups... It's total BS to say that they don't affiliate themselves with the rest of the USA, or that they don't understand our culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CesHr99ezWE

Old 03-11-2015, 01:12 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
I support statehood for Puerto Rico and incorporated territory status for the others (Guam, American Samoa, the US Virgin Islands, and the Northern Mariana Islands). If at some point Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands want to unify and seek statehood (as several politicians in those territories have advocated) than that is ok with me but that's something for years down the road. These places WANT to be part of the United States ... they want the same economic and political benefits as every other American. The people of these territories serve in the US military - our military - in huge numbers. If they are willing to fight for us than that is good enough for me.

I also advocate ending the Compacts of Free Association with Palau, the Marshall Islands, and Micronesia and forcing them to choose between independence or annexation as a US territory. These islands were technically never under US sovereignty but rather were US administered UN mandate trust territories. "Free Association" has been a total failure for both the US and these islands. A black hole through which American taxpayer's money pours into without any oversight or accountability by the US government. If they want to be independent, cool ... but you shouldent be allowed to have independence on the US taxpayer's dime. If you want our money your going to have to put up with our rule. Annexation would also act as a counterbalance against China, and establishes a 'barrier' against Chinese aggression.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:17 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I know Puerto Rico wants to be a state, at least they did. However, their yearly population isn't high enough to be considered a state. T
There are 21 states with smaller populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies