Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:30 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times

Advertisements

Obama on vacation with his family gives me the message of a successful, hard working man with his priorities straight who can take care of the business of running the country and still be a family man . Congress is on a month long break, Obama is on a weeks vacation. He isnt hiking the "Appalachian Trail" or going duck hunting with a supreme court justice. I have no doubt he is keeping his eye on things and getting briefings. That he has money is not a problem to me.....and Martha's Vineyard or Hilton Head or Kennebunkport...or San Clemente....I wouldnt expect any of them to be at Days Inn or the Bide A Wee bed and breakfast. The President is the Chief Executive of the United States of America....he deserves and can afford a nice vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 01:35 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
I think if he has the money to spend on a vacation like this, it's his perogative. It does however throw a small wrench in former claims about Obama's poverty in comparison to other politicians. The man evidently has plenty of money to burn. A good question would be how much of that money will actually be helping Americans keep jobs. Because let's face it, we have to have money being spent in order for businesses to pay their employees. And here is $50,000.00 going into the economy. That's actually a good thing, isn't it?

Just because I disagree with some Obama policy doesn't mean I will just automatically disagree with anything he says or does. He is the president after all, and is expected to put on airs. Then again, he could spend half as much on his vacation and spend the other half helping "change" the life of some unfortunate American family that's been hit hard by the economic crisis.

And yes, I do think news like this will distance some people from him. You can say it's his money, his right, all you want. That isn't going to console any of the millions of people out there who are struggling just to pay their electric bills. Not saying it's Obama's responsibility to care for these people, just saying that news like this makes him just another one of the elite in the eyes of the poor and disinfranchised. He needs to avoid this type of image at all cost. Bush avoided that elite image, even though he is from one of "the" elite American families, by vacationing at his Texas ranch or going to Camp David. Obama should try to use similar tactics in order to avoid falling under the vicious scrutiny of public opinion. After all, he needs those votes again in 3 years or so.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:36 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Well, they are paying for the cheap part themselves. The place costs $35,000 for a week and they are paying that. I think that we the people flew them up there on Air Force One and we get to pay all the expenses involved with the guards of the Secret Service and all the other expensive things.
The Secret Service, the 'people who flew up there', Air Force One, etc. are paid regardless of where they are. You are aware of that are you not? The SS, etc. are on 24/7 when it comes to working with/for the POTUS and the First Family.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:37 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Also vacationing in that bastion of the liberal elite - Martha's Vineyard.

It says exactly what he is - out of touch with the average American.
Do you ever realize how pretentioius you sound? One minute Obama's doing too much, the next not enough. Give it up and start using reason rather than childish political games.

Seriously. Are we supposed to look down on Obama because he doesn't buy a ranch 1 year before his campaign, put some jeans and a cowboy hat on, and pretend not to be a spoiled Connecticut Ivy League legacy?

Grow up. Seriously.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
What do you think about Obama's $35,000 to $50,000 week's vacation in these troubled times?

What message does it give?
The message that I get from this and most of the threads about President Obama is there is need for an 'I hate Obama and everything he does and stands for' forum. That way people who want to start ridiculous threads about the human being known as Barack HUSSEIN Obama can have a place to gather and mass masturabate in their combined hatred of the man and his family.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:51 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,196,047 times
I just read a really good comparison: "Al-Qaeda struck America while Bush was distracted by his vacation and now the conservatives are taking the same approach and attacking health insurance reform while Obama is on vacation."

Guess that renders my previous post moot!

Old 08-23-2009, 01:59 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
The Secret Service, the 'people who flew up there', Air Force One, etc. are paid regardless of where they are. You are aware of that are you not? The SS, etc. are on 24/7 when it comes to working with/for the POTUS and the First Family.
Wouldn't the secret service be with him regardless of where he is? I wonder if Obama is paying for their accomodations

Old 08-23-2009, 02:03 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Wouldn't the secret service be with him regardless of where he is? I wonder if Obama is paying for their accomodations
No, his employers (us) pay for A L L the President's (and ex-President's) Secret Service.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:05 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, his employers (us) pay for A L L the President's (and ex-President's) Secret Service.
Of course, I understand that. I'm curious if he's paying for their accomodations on MV (their rooms, etc).

Old 08-23-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Yes. No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies