Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:32 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
So, at a time when those who are capable of spending need to spend, you are suggesting our president lead by example by locking himself in his home and not spend his money outside the Beltway?

Seriously. I'm just trying to understand the reasoning for why we should all despise our president. I get so confused sometimes with all the unmitigated hatred.
I spent the better part of 8 years watching that very thing and one can only expect that some will go that direction. Wrong, but to be expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 02:33 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It has been suggested that he may take off some time to visit one of his better supporters, Ted Kennedy, who is getting near his end. I don't mean to be funny or nasty by that comment, just relaying something I heard this morning. It is the business of nobody other than the Obamas what they do there.
You mean stay with the Kennedy's? Absurd!

Old 08-23-2009, 02:37 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Actually, a president doesn't have complete say over where he vacations. Whatever location is choosen has to be checked out by the SS beforehand to make certain security, communications, and a quick method of leaving the place can be assured. Usually the SS is give a list of several possibilities and narrows it down for a fiinal pick.

The criteria that must be met may also account for the place they finally rented in MV.
That makes the most sense. Turtle Island off Key West would have been a better pick imo. But, the presidents do have a tradition of visiting the Vineyard. I'm sure they have that space down pat as far as security goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
We pay for their salary and living expenses when they are on duty which is 24/7. They don't go off duty just because the President is on vacation. So, explain why paying for the SS and their expenses is different be they in DC, Iraq, Texas, Chicago, etc.? Do you want them to stay at the local Holiday Inn Express? I guess they could but that would mean taking over and guarding the entire motel and surrounding vacinity which would likely be more expensive to guard than the place they're staying.
Agreed. That's reasonable enough. I'm just saying it would have reflected well if he paid for their accommodations. I'm not speaking of salary, tho.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Actually, a president doesn't have complete say over where he vacations. Whatever location is choosen has to be checked out by the SS beforehand to make certain security, communications, and a quick method of leaving the place can be assured. Usually the SS is give a list of several possibilities and narrows it down for a fiinal pick.

The criteria that must be met may also account for the place they finally rented in MV.
Looky here. We agree again. That is getting to be a habit. One of us must be mellowing.

My aunt ran a beauty shop in Abilene, Ks where Eisenhower spent many weekends while in office. The Secret Service used her back rooms as their headquarters and they were on first name bases, but they came to town at least 3 days before Ike, himself, showed up and got ready. Every time he came to town they had to go through the same movements.

It is very true that Obama didn't just say, "Boys we are going to Martha's Vineyard next week so start getting ready'. It just doesn't work that way at all.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
People with money, their own money, should be allowed to spend as they see fit.
This "recession" has not put a big dent in wealthy people's wallets.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
We pay for their salary and living expenses when they are on duty which is 24/7. They don't go off duty just because the President is on vacation. So, explain why paying for the SS and their expenses is different be they in DC, Iraq, Texas, Chicago, etc.? Do you want them to stay at the local Holiday Inn Express? I guess they could but that would mean taking over and guarding the entire motel and surrounding vacinity which would likely be more expensive to guard than the place they're staying.
You aren't far from right except those men have to have their own lodgings paid out of their own pockets in DC but not in the rest of those places.

Who cares about that other than haters? I don't know. I don't like Obama as the President but I sure don't expect him to be any different than any of those that came before him.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
You mean stay with the Kennedy's? Absurd!
Jeez, no. I meant going for a visit. Afterall Teddy is not in any condition to have all the time company. Try a bit harder the next time I say something like that.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
You aren't far from right except those men have to have their own lodgings paid out of their own pockets in DC but not in the rest of those places.

Who cares about that other than haters? I don't know. I don't like Obama as the President but I sure don't expect him to be any different than any of those that came before him.
Members of the Secret Service live at the White House.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:46 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
What do you think about Obama's $35,000 to $50,000 week's vacation in these troubled times?

What message does it give?
for christ sake, who would want this man's job? doesn't he and his family deserve a vacation just like everyone else. would you prefer that they go to great america mall for 3 days?

Old 08-23-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Jeez, no. I meant going for a visit. Afterall Teddy is not in any condition to have all the time company. Try a bit harder the next time I say something like that.
We're discussing where the President is staying, you bring up going to the Kennedy's. What the heck am I suppose to think??

You've been doing a great job in this discussion. Please don't revert to old habits and start attacking because I, understandably, misunderstood your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies