Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:45 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,974 times

Advertisements

What about NBC being IN THE TANK for Obama in 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp314/pauly_cy/obama20nbc20peacock.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 11:46 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
OK, I see what you are getting at. My question is, what proof do you have that these "reputable" papers and news agencies are really that much better than Fox News, other than the fact that they haven't come out and admitted what Fox News has?
The proof is in the pudding. People who watch/read news, are on their own to analyze the details. Often, questioning everything they read. I do. It is also why I cannot watch Fox News for anything but for political comedy.

I don't watch MSNBC at all. However, I've been watching Rachel Maddow on teh internets tube lately. Many in the right wing will be quick to dismiss her, for her political leanings. However, I keep that in mind, and look for what she's presenting. These are often dissection and direction of the issues, something we all should be doing.

Unfortunately, it would appear that a vast section of the populace simply takes things as they are presented. It is a dangerous proposition, and can often lead to disaster.

And Fox News didn't admit anything. They were sued, and found a way to legalize their misrepresentations and lies.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:47 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Quote:
OK, I see what you are getting at. My question is, what proof do you have that these "reputable" papers and news agencies are really that much better than Fox News, other than the fact that they haven't come out and admitted what Fox News has?

Also, I would ask if you realize there are plenty of LW spin artists out there, just itching to manipulate some current event to better serve their agenda. The right has not cornered the market on lies and deceitful tactics. Both sides are very good at employing these skills. I would simply ask that people acknowledge this fact, instead of always attempting to make one side or the other into the scapegoat. Both sides are manipulated on a daily basis. And at their core, the two opposing parties are one and the same.
This is probably the smartest post I've read all day.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:49 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I generally like to give people the benefit of the doubt and to use a cliche I like to "trust, but verify." On the other hand if someone not only admits they lie in court, but makes a case that they have a constitutional right to do so, (which I believe they have) that sort of gets rid of any possible doubt about their integrity or lack thereof.

As to health care all I am going to say is I have personally called Kay Hagan and told her to support a public option and the majority of Americans in every poll agree with me.
As for your first statement, I agree. But, while they do have the right to lie, I really feel there should be some accountability for news agencies like Fox who are telling "half" truths or just straight out lying to the people. I love my freedom, and I don't want my freedom messed with, but I also don't feel I have the right to go around and lie to everyone I meet. You hurt people that way, and in this country we generally look down on people who hurt other people. Well, these guys are hurting millions and millions of people, with nothing more than words. I know there is nothing in the Constitution to protect a person's "feelings", so words can't be a crime. That is unless those words are detrimental to the citizens of that country. In that case, I say lies and deceit of this nature when dealing with the free people of this country is in fact treasonous, and the agencies who deal in misinformation should be shut down. And, I am afraid to say, that might include shutting down the White House.(smiley,smiley)

PS. I meant every word.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 08-25-2009 at 12:00 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 11:56 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The proof is in the pudding. People who watch/read news, are on their own to analyze the details. Often, questioning everything they read. I do. It is also why I cannot watch Fox News for anything but for political comedy.

I don't watch MSNBC at all. However, I've been watching Rachel Maddow on teh internets tube lately. Many in the right wing will be quick to dismiss her, for her political leanings. However, I keep that in mind, and look for what she's presenting. These are often dissection and direction of the issues, something we all should be doing.

Unfortunately, it would appear that a vast section of the populace simply takes things as they are presented. It is a dangerous proposition, and can often lead to disaster.

And Fox News didn't admit anything. They were sued, and found a way to legalize their misrepresentations and lies.
I don't care about the legal speak, they admitted to their "crime" , even if they couldn't be prosecuted for it. People will know, and people will remember. And please understand, I am not defending them here. I truly wish people who lie to this degree to the American people could be prosecuted.

As for the first part of your statement, I am a hands on kind of guy myself. I take nothing at face value and in fact rarely watch any real "news" network. I just read a lot and talk to my fellow citizens and then read some more. You know, just anything I can find. Sure, I look around on the internet and post on the forum, but I know better than to really accept anything I find on the internet at face value either. I like to check things out, and find the truth for myself. We aren't so different there my friend, just looking from a slightly different view. Because from my end, I find lies nearly everywhere I look, with just a little truth mixed in for good measure. Have you not also found this to be a recurring theme in these rocky times? Or for all time for that matter. Propaganda and lies seem to inhabit every form of human communication. From word of mouth to television broadcasts to the written word. So much is left out, so little shared, we never get the truth until we dig and dig and dig. That is what I am sick of Einstein, all the digging.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:59 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
If Fox tells the truth or lies, their viewers don't know the difference.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:00 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
This is an outrage! The American people count on us to keep them informed.

Signed,
Dan Rather
Hysterical!!!!!!!!! Great comment!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!

We have a president that lies regularly and some people are worried about a cable news channel. Go figure.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:02 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,574 times
And the left is defending...ummm..what was that news organization that cut up the video of the black guy holding a gun at a TH meeting to not show that he was black and say it was a white person? Which organization was that again???

Old 08-25-2009, 12:02 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
^

This may have something to do with a network that openly admits to having no issuing with lying tell us negative things about our president.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:03 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
I don't care about the legal speak, they admitted to their "crime" , even if they couldn't be prosecuted for it. People will know, and people will remember.
Unfortunately, there are enough who will still consider anything that comes out of the network as the truth and will stick by it. Most won't even know about this "crime" to begin with, and those who do will ignore it because all they're looking for is justification to their own ideologies.

Fox News knows that. They don't have anything to lose, and they gained by making presenting lies legal. Besides, they were already found guilty when Akre won the case against Fox. It isn't that Fox pro-actively admitted to a wrong doing. And they counter-sued (to save their face) on the ground that Fox didn't violate any existing law, just a policy. This was to simply put a bandage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies