Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:27 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,681 times

Advertisements

thank you !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pZa3KtkVpQ

where have all the flowers gone by pete Seeger

says it all .. have a listen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 09:34 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
I'm really surprised at the "job" done on the entire generation of those born after the war, ahhh, the power of TV, you'd think that everyone was dancing in the streets, drugged up every minute of every day.

The truth is that everyone that is in their forties today are the children of that generation, are those parents really so bad? Did anyone stop to think that an entire generation of music loving, truth seeking, peacefull folks, have been slandered by TV representation of those years.

In the sixties we smoked pot, we listened to a lot of good music, we were turning our collective backs on the man in the grey flannel suit. Is that what's bugging people today? How about all those stories about the "hippies" spitting on the returning troops, those who were being drafted were coming home to a sympathetic neighborhood of their old classmates, I don't remember anyone spitting at the troops except on TV, was it staged? Was it planned out to discredit the anti war crowd? We were against the war because it WAS a bad decision, today without the draft very few care about those who are dying on foreign soil, TV is now reporting the war as though it is just another reality show.

The boomer generation was also split along political lines, not everybody was against that war, not everybody agreed on the rebuking of capitalism or materialism, did people think an entire generation could be marching in lockstep as shown by TV? I don't look back on those days with any remorse, if I have some doubts about some in my generation, it would be that those who supported Richard Nixon, the young Republican groups, were the same folk's who came to wall street to fleece their fellow man, we knew them back in their youth, and we knew they were supporting exactly the kind of government and business morality we have been subjected to.

Drugs, let's be honest about the drug scene, it was a time of experimentation, yes, there were some terrible drug related deaths, yes there was some misinformation regarding the potential damage one could expect, but, it was never, ever, as widespread as TV would have you think. I didn't know anyone personally that was damaged by drugs, and I knew alot of folk's who were taking drugs, most people heard the stories about the bad stuff and mostly confined their drug taking to pot and some LSD kinds of potions, and certainly the latter was not a daily routine, most of us had jobs we weren't well off, nor did we live off of our parents.

I don't have much criticism for the young today, they are what they are, the children of the material society they were brought up in. Is this recent hangover from a drunken spending spree enough to make people see the futility in seeking a material Nirvana? Maybe not, we'll see what the future has to say in regard to this, much, much better life we have, now that the hippies have faded into the past.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:40 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I'm really surprised at the "job" done on the entire generation of those born after the war, ahhh, the power of TV, you'd think that everyone was dancing in the streets, drugged up every minute of every day.

The truth is that everyone that is in their forties today are the children of that generation, are those parents really so bad? Did anyone stop to think that an entire generation of music loving, truth seeking, peacefull folks, have been slandered by TV representation of those years.

In the sixties we smoked pot, we listened to a lot of good music, we were turning our collective backs on the man in the grey flannel suit. Is that what's bugging people today? How about all those stories about the "hippies" spitting on the returning troops, those who were being drafted were coming home to a sympathetic neighborhood of their old classmates, I don't remember anyone spitting at the troops except on TV, was it staged? Was it planned out to discredit the anti war crowd? We were against the war because it WAS a bad decision, today without the draft very few care about those who are dying on foreign soil, TV is now reporting the war as though it is just another reality show.

The boomer generation was also split along political lines, not everybody was against that war, not everybody agreed on the rebuking of capitalism or materialism, did people think an entire generation could be marching in lockstep as shown by TV? I don't look back on those days with any remorse, if I have some doubts about some in my generation, it would be that those who supported Richard Nixon, the young Republican groups, were the same folk's who came to wall street to fleece their fellow man, we knew them back in their youth, and we knew they were supporting exactly the kind of government and business morality we have been subjected to.

Drugs, let's be honest about the drug scene, it was a time of experimentation, yes, there were some terrible drug related deaths, yes there was some misinformation regarding the potential damage one could expect, but, it was never, ever, as widespread as TV would have you think. I didn't know anyone personally that was damaged by drugs, and I knew alot of folk's who were taking drugs, most people heard the stories about the bad stuff and mostly confined their drug taking to pot and some LSD kinds of potions, and certainly the latter was not a daily routine, most of us had jobs we weren't well off, nor did we live off of our parents.

I don't have much criticism for the young today, they are what they are, the children of the material society they were brought up in. Is this recent hangover from a drunken spending spree enough to make people see the futility in seeking a material Nirvana? Maybe not, we'll see what the future has to say in regard to this, much, much better life we have, now that the hippies have faded into the past.
I want you to think about this picture: A young tough U.S. Marine steps off an airplane after experiencing a year of Hell called Veitnam. He is already bitter and angry. As he walks through the airport a scawny guy with long hair and a flower in his hair walks up and shouts "BABY KILLER!" and spits on the uniform of this Marine.
Now I want you to fill in the rest of what happens here:

Old 08-30-2009, 09:41 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
The title says it all.

Any thoughts?
I was hoping that when they died off, things would get back to normal. They are the ones in power now- no wonder things are so screwed up.

Kev- are you actually sticking up for those who fought in Vietnam? Good for you! I find it odd that these hateful lefties spit and derided veterans and active duty soldiers at that time because it was fashionable to do so. My uncle, a decorated veteran from Hamburger Hill, was tripped by a leftie after spending a year in military hospitals. He was an easy target for the brave leftie, as he was on crutches. Engaging in such evil, contemptable behavior was excused because they were for "peace". Peace through violence. They should be ashamed of themselves, yet people with no conscience rarely engage in introspection and examine what they have done in thier life. They have short memories and inherently believe that they are right, regardless of their behavior.

These are our "leaders" today.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:12 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
thank you !

YouTube - Pete Seeger - Where have all the flowers gone?

where have all the flowers gone by pete Seeger

says it all .. have a listen
Awesome. No more words needed.

Peace !

Old 08-30-2009, 12:14 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
More so than we need another McCarthy generation with people cowering in horror because they're afraid of words hammered into them by the fear mongerers.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:16 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,294,766 times
Yes, we sure do. I wasn't even born in the late 60's, but I would have liked to have lived through all that stuff. I think it'll happen too, at some point. At the very least, hopefully we'll get some decent mainstream music out of it (music today sucks) and full legalization of cannabis and same sex marriage.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:19 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,826,878 times
Absolutely not! Those freaking hippies are responsible for all that is wrong in our society today. Hippies= Liberalism. We need another World War II generation. The Greatest Generation!

Old 08-30-2009, 12:28 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Absolutely not! Those freaking hippies are responsible for all that is wrong in our society today. Hippies= Liberalism. We need another World War II generation. The Greatest Generation!

Please do explain how hippies are responsible for:

A society that takes more offense at a naked nipple (Janet Jackson) than wars of choice which accomplish NOTHING!

Unbounded corporate GREED which led to the near collapse of our economy.

Or do you consider those to be things right with society?

Old 08-30-2009, 12:37 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post

I will say that this was closer to what happened to us the boomers of today than anything else .. not all of us were good or kind to our fellow man .. and I believe that many many things were staged to show the anti war crowd in a bad light .. spitting on a vet was cowrdly to say the least .. was it a set up? I think so because the media was always on hand to see it for the 6pm news .. seems we who cared werent shown doing the kind or good things we did do ....dis liking a war and govermental policy didnt mean we had to do bad things to good men who were pushed into a dirty war because they were drafted ....

Some of us saw the writing on the wall when the war was officially over and alls we could do was bow our heads and cry for what happened to our nation .... I remember and the rembering aint always pretty or great so I/we remember happy things like the time of woodstock and the music to dull the pain of our collective failures and yes we did fail.. we failed to save ourselves and our future with our need and greed and letting the politican become our voice when we havent even spoken ..
What woodstocks promise was and what we became saddens me

Like Wavy Gravy and the Hog farm commune said .. feed and love em untill they can walk then let them go forwards till they need us again ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies