Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:10 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i posted this in another thread, but interracial marriage was opposed by 73% of americans when anti-miscegenation laws were found unconstitutional in 1968.

the majority did not support interracial marriage until the early 90s.
by your "majority rules" logic, interracial marriage shouldn't have been legal until that point.

Most Americans Approve of Interracial Marriages

civil liberties should never be subject to majority rule. that is what our constitution is for.
This is completely irrelevant. Race and homosexual behavior are NOT the same!

Old 08-31-2009, 03:11 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
And this makes my point precisely. In 1968, nobody figured that homosexuals would ever be granted the right to marry. Forty-years later, here we are. In forty more years, who will be claiming discrimination and demanding the right to marry? Where do you draw the line? That's the point that is completely lost on people.
Now he's on to the "Slippery Slope" argument.

You know if Vietnam falls, the whole world will fall to Soviet Rule. Isn't that what they said?

Sorry, but your paranoid fantasies are not a reason to deny people rights.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:13 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Every single one of those could be handled by civil union laws. Not surprisingly, homosexuals wont be happy until they've unraveled the last thread of a centuries old institution between man and woman. Disgusting.
so what are the financial benefits gay people would be receiving from marriages that they wouldn't from civil unions? since you were talking about financial benefits, i assumed that you were against both marriage and civil unions.

i think a lot of gay people would be happy with civil unions, as long as they conferred the same rights as marriage. some would be happier because they really don't want anything to do with the institution of marriage.

but on the other hand, saying "we don't want you icking up our institution, here's one of your own - separate but equal!" is pretty insulting. i don't see too many gay people in vermont or connecticut complaining though. they'll take what they can get.

my ideal situation would be civil unions for everyone (including adults not in a sexual/romantic relationship - why not?) and marriage is left to the churches. churches can decide on their own who can and can't be married in their particular church or congregation. or people can have whatever kind of ceremony they want on their own. if marriage is a religious institution (despite the fact that atheists have been getting married since forever), then get it out of the hands of the state, and everyone's happy.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:15 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
although, what do you call it on the invitations when you have a civil union?

"you are invited to the unionization of stacy and michelle".

Old 08-31-2009, 03:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
About teh only ones bring it up are gays since the recent setbacks. Otherwise loss in the economic situation for most people really.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:33 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
groar the problen is that gays are treated differently under the law when it comes to marriage rights. You are not the same if you are gay, your health rights, property rights, civil rights are competlely different.
It is discrimanation

Old 08-31-2009, 03:33 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
yeah hard to understand- two or more naked, hot, wet, sexy girls licking, rubbing, touching and sucking each other....... WHEW!
Link please...back that up...LOL

Old 08-31-2009, 03:50 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
groar the problen is that gays are treated differently under the law when it comes to marriage rights. You are not the same if you are gay, your health rights, property rights, civil rights are competlely different.
It is discrimanation
marriage rights <<<agree

health rights << I'm not up on that one, I think you are talking about group policies

property rights << sort of, married you still need a will or the children will get 1/4 of the dying persons stuff, in Texas. And a will leaving everything to your partner should take care of that. That's what my uncle did and it worked ok.

civil rights << how are they different? Do you have to sit on the back of the bus? Different water fountains?

Old 08-31-2009, 04:52 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
marriage rights <<<agree

health rights << I'm not up on that one, I think you are talking about group policies

property rights << sort of, married you still need a will or the children will get 1/4 of the dying persons stuff, in Texas. And a will leaving everything to your partner should take care of that. That's what my uncle did and it worked ok.

civil rights << how are they different? Do you have to sit on the back of the bus? Different water fountains?
Sure, group policies. A lot of companies only let someone put their legal spouse on their health insurance. Since same-sex couples cannot get married, sometimes one spouse has to go without health insurance because they can't get on the other spouse's health insurance plan.
The same can go for children, if a lesbian couple has children and one spouse gave birth to two kids and the other gave birth to one, only the biological child(ren) of one partner can get covered on THAT partner's health insurance.

It's great that things worked out for your uncle but for many same-sex couples, it doesn't always work that way. Even if a will was written, sometimes family members can take the things that the deceased specifically wanted to go to their spouse. Same-sex couples are also hit with a huge tax whenever they give property and money to their spouse.

Civil rights just isn't about sitting at the back of the bus or different water fountains. In some ways there are big distinctions in our society for gays and heterosexuals. I don't care to go into them but you'd be a fool to say they don't exist.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:56 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sans ersatz modelisto View Post
I find it so telling the seeming OBSESSION America seems to have with all things gay. You go to western Europe, or south Africa, and parts of Central America where homosexuality is not a big deal, and gays are awarded equal privileges, and people just can't understand what all the fuss is about.
First off - this is the United States and not Europe. There is no reason to even try to compare the two continents.

Then remember, this nation was founded on religious principles (note that I DID NOT say Christian) - and most religions believe that homosexuality is sinful. And, inasmuch as over 80% of the residents of the US identify themselves as being "religious" - the answer to your question is found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies