Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:36 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,488 times

Advertisements

Is America the only country with such an obsession about guns or owning them? Over in the "Great Debates" section every other thread is about guns and gun control.

My other question would be to gun owners, why do you own them and why do you like them so much? Just so you know I am not anti or pro gun ownership, just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 12:56 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Putting on my Kevlar suit.
There I'm done.

The only people obsessed about guns are those who wish to ban them.

I own several firearms, most modern, a couple 100+ years old. None are of the "ugly black gun" variety. The majority are shotguns with a couple small caliber rifles and a couple "deer rifles". I shot competitive small-bore in high school (20/14 vision is good for many things) and nearly fifty years later continue to hunt. Which is an activity that many people in the US, especially in fly over country, either do or grew up around. My four kids (2 + 2) all know how to shoot, as does my wife, and the boys hunt. The guns are locked up as per safety dictates. Do I obsess? No, if you are equating obssession with an OCD type activity. Do I occasionally look at firearms catalogues? Yes, but I'm not constantly planning on buying the next one. I'm not constantly thinking "of that beauty in the gun case." Maintenance of them is on a regular basis-metal rusts-and can be compared to washing and waxing your car. I don't go to survivalist meetings nor do I have a hoard of Doomsday supplies so that's out. I also have two degrees, am a veteran, hold an elected office and teach. Those last few things will probably blow a lot of stereotypes to smithereens.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:00 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Putting on my Kevlar suit.
There I'm done.

I own several firearms, most modern, a couple 100+ years old. None are of the "ugly black gun" variety. The majority are shotguns with a couple small caliber rifles and a couple "deer rifles". I shot competitive small-bore in high school (20/14 vision is good for many things) and nearly fifty years later continue to hunt. Which is an activity that many people in the US, especially in fly over country, either do or grew up around. My four kids (2 + 2) all know how to shoot, as does my wife, and the boys hunt. The guns are locked up as per safety dictates. Do I obsess? No, if you are equating obssession with an OCD type activity. Do I occasionally look at firearms catalogues? Yes, but I'm not constantly planning on buying the next one. I'm not constantly thinking "of that beauty in the gun case." Maintenance of them is on a regular basis-metal rusts-and can be compared to washing and waxing your car. I don't go to survivalist meetings nor do I have a hoard of Doomsday supplies so that's out. I also have two degrees, am a veteran, hold an elected office and teach. Those last few things will probably blow a lot of stereotypes to smithereens.
Try this one-I hunt, own a bunch of guns (including the ugly black variety) and I voted for our new president

Old 01-20-2009, 01:01 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
I am only obsessed with freedom. In that, I will defend freedom with all my strength against those who wish to strip us of our rights. If people weren't trying to take away our rights you'd likely never hear a word from us about guns.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I am only obsessed with freedom. In that, I will defend freedom with all my strength against those who wish to strip us of our rights. If people weren't trying to take away our rights you'd likely never hear a word from us about guns.
I can understand that. I don't hunt or anything but my big reason I would argue being pro-gun is it is a freedom and I hate to see freedoms being taken away. Slowly we are losing them.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:12 PM

[quote=North Beach Person;7085998]Putting on my Kevlar suit.
There I'm done.

So its a hobby? You hunt and own some antique firearms. Thanks for the detailed reply.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:17 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
So its a hobby? You hunt and own some antique firearms. Thanks for the detailed reply.
Hobby? No. Hunting is not a hobby for me. I enjoy it, but I eat what I kill and what I kill feeds my family. I don't eat factory farmed beef full of anti-biotics and hormones. We eat 100% organic venison, pheasant, turkey, duck, and rabbit. I also own guns for protection. There's a saying that goes something like this:

"When seconds count the police are only minutes away."

To me a gun isn't much different than my chainsaw. Both are powerful tools that I need (my guns help me obtain my food, my chainsaw helps heat my house with wood), both are dangerous if mishandled, and both have a specific purpose.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:20 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
I'm a hunter and a gun owner and I voted for Obama. I also hate the NRA. It is one of the strongest lobbys and uses its weight to put candidates in office. It also uses crazy scare tactics to keep up the membership and donation dollars. The NRA successfully fought off the use of taggants in explosives, a tool used to fight terroristic acts. It also over-emphasizes the use of handguns for home protection. There are other, safer alternatives to use to protect your home and family.

Despite Obama saying he is not anti-gun nor is he going to take anyone's guns away, the NRA still ignores this and is virulently against him. There is good reason these folks are called 'gun nuts'.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:26 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Try this one-I hunt, own a bunch of guns (including the ugly black variety) and I voted for our new president

Ok, you made one mistake. (I'd put a laughing smiley here but I hate those things)

Old 01-20-2009, 01:28 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If that were true, why would every Democratic presidential candidate need to affirm to the public that he supports gun rights? Gun rights are incredibly important to about 40% of Americans at least. I guarantee you wouldn't have seen John Kerry in his hunting outfit if gun rights weren't important to a huge portion of Americans...I also guarantee that if Americans weren't so gung-ho about guns that Bush would not have been elected.

Three things are important to all Conservative (Neo-Cons, not Fiscal Conservatives) voters: Their Gun, Their Bible and their American Car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies