Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:57 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I can understand the target practice. I am sure its fun. So far I think certain restrictions on guns are OK. I don't think ppl who have a history of mental illness or who served time prison should ever own a gun.
Which are actually already laws and ones which the NRA supports. Yet here in MD there is a movement to restore rights to convicted felons upon release from prison.
When one buys a firearm from a dealer a form (4471?) has to be filled out which include questions about domestic protection orders, felony convictions and mental illness diagnosis. Answering untruthfully is itself a felony (federal). If you and I are residents of the same state I can transfer a long gun to you as long as I have reason to believe you are otherwise qualified. If you are not, and I transfer that gun to you, I am then in violation of federal, and MD, law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 02:00 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
The NRA is not "anti-environment," quite the contrary, they've helped here and there with keeping lands available for hunting. The base for that argument was that they opposed closing roads in various public lands, something oil/gas interests also opposed, but by no means were or are they in bed together. For the record, I don't even drink alcohol, I don't own a truck, I'm a libertarian and most definately not racist, and I have been involved some with militia groups (and they don't exactly match the stereotypes the media spews).

Old 01-20-2009, 02:02 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
I can understand the target practice. I am sure its fun. So far I think certain restrictions on guns are OK. I don't think ppl who have a history of mental illness or who served time prison should ever own a gun.
It's already illegal for a person found to be legally mentally insane to own a firearm. Felons are also prohibited. I wouldn't go to the point of saying no one who's been in jail should have guns, because many people have been in jail for minor things and are not dangerous. I think though the felon argument is flawed: if a person is too dangerous to be trusted with a gun, should they be free instead of in jail?

Old 01-20-2009, 02:06 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
gun owners in general even "obsessed" ones like me agree and want them out of the wrong hands.The problem is politicians pass laws that hurt law abiding people,not the criminals.Locks are for keeping a honest guy out,same with bans,only people that respect the law are effected by bans.So when you say Im for "some gun control" think about that.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:08 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Quote:
Is America the only country with such an obsession about guns or owning them? Over in the "Great Debates" section every other thread is about guns and gun control.

My other question would be to gun owners, why do you own them and why do you like them so much? Just so you know I am not anti or pro gun ownership, just curious.

Couple reasons (not all are my reasons...just acceptable reasons)
1) Collecting (just like baseball cards, toy cars, matchbooks, etc)
2) Protection
3) Hobby (just fun to shoot, target shoot)
4) Sport (hunting, competitive shooting)

Old 01-20-2009, 02:34 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
Paranoid control freaks are obsessed with guns.

Hunters and range shooters aren't obsessed with guns.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:55 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Is America the only country with such an obsession about guns or owning them? Over in the "Great Debates" section every other thread is about guns and gun control.

My other question would be to gun owners, why do you own them and why do you like them so much? Just so you know I am not anti or pro gun ownership, just curious.

relax. My guns and I have never harmed anyone.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:06 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
I own a .22 Remmington rifle and haven't even looked at it for months. So I'm glad I'm not obsessed with guns.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:13 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,488 times
I wonder even with restrictions to the mentally ill and felons if it is really preventing anything? It may prevent some from obtaining them legally but if they really want one you can get it. This could be dangerous because they may have an unregistered firearm which would make someone harder to catch if a crime is commited. Just something that crossed my mind..not sure how accurate it is

Old 01-20-2009, 03:16 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
... It can be considered a cultural thing, especially in a conservative world where firearm, or arms in general, are considered a right.

Actually, the 2nd amendment says that it is a right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies