Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Health Insurance be Mandatory for all Americans?
Yes - Assess fines and penalties for not having insurance 17 22.97%
Yes - but no fines or penalties for not having insurance 5 6.76%
No - Let Americans decide for themselves 49 66.22%
Undecided at this time 3 4.05%
Don't care 0 0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:04 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times

Advertisements

The question of the day is, Should Health Insurance be mandatory? And if so, and someone does not have health insurance, what should happen to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 08:07 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,686,730 times
Yes, if they don't have it they should be jailed, and neutered upon release so they don't ever spawn.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:09 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,366 times
Absolutely it should be mandatory especially since you re removing the pre existing condition claues.

Why? Well, what is to prevent a perfectly healthy individually from paying for coverage UNTIL the illness presents itself.

Let's put it in another context.

You're a driver that has no insurance because the law says that it's not mandatory. And, car insurance has a "no pre existing" clause (somewhat retroactive).

Monday, you have an accident. Woops.. no insurance.. So later that afternoon you call and get insruance.. and say "oh, by t he way, I had an accident today , here's the bill!

That doesn't work. AND THAT will encourage more and more people from NOT carrying health insurance .. why should they because if they get sick all they have to do is sign up, stat paying the premiums today and get immediate coverage for their condition.

THAT doesn't make sense and is just about the ONLY argument from the health insurance industry that I actually agree with.

And indeed, if they fail to have coverage than they should pay a "fine" for not having the coverage. Which, IMO , should go right into a "health fund" that subsidizes uncompensated care in hospitals and clinics. THAT lessens the burden on the rest of us.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:12 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
Congress has NO authority to mandate citizens purchase something as a condition of their citizenship.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Yes, mandated by the states. If my bills get to the point I cant afford to pay for them. PULL THE PLUG..

Old 10-26-2009, 08:14 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times
I'm all for it being mandatory if we have a choice in either having our insurance from a non-profit entity or a private health insurance company.

I don't want my health care being decided by some CEO who decides he wants to jack up my premiums for the year and deny me medically necessary care so he can get a new summer home or because he needs to beat Wall Street's estimates.

I don't mind there being subsidies for people who can't afford it.

I'd rather just have single-payer and call it a day. Either single payer or some VERY strong regulation of the health insurance industry like Germany.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
You're a driver that has no insurance because the law says that it's not mandatory. And, car insurance has a "no pre existing" clause (somewhat retroactive).
Driving is a privlidge, and car insurance indeed does have pre existing clauses. If you have high traffic tickets, numerous wrecks, car insurance companies increase your costs or refuse to cover you.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:18 PM

I don't care WHO mandates it.. the state or the feds.. what the hell is the difference.. but it should be mandated..period. CAR insurance is mandated.. if I'm not mistaken it is so in almost every state in the U.S.

The difference between Car insurance and health insurance.. lack of car insurance doesn't lead to death . It harms ONLY the individual that doesn't have car insurance and therefore gets sued for personal assets to cover damages to the other party, if the accident warrants. Yes, the other party does suffer if they can never collect for the damages.. BUT.. it does not have a long term affect on the rest of society. Non the less, car insurance should be mandated.

Lack of Health insurance can lead to death .. AND.. DOES cost billions of dollars to the rest of the citizens ..harming the society as a whole and shifting the burden on the rest of us. ..

Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Driving is a privlidge, and car insurance indeed does have pre existing clauses. If you have high traffic tickets, numerous wrecks, car insurance companies increase your costs or refuse to cover you.

I understand that.. I was simply putting into a context which people may relate too.

Driving is a privledge, yes.. However MEDICAL care is NOT a privledge.. AND when someone doesn't haev insurance it affects everyone else.

AND.. as I stated, you can't eliminate pre-existing clauses without mandating coverage for the reasons I posted..

you are then allowing everyone else to not carry it while only teh sickets would be purchasing health insurance because without the worry of not being covered for the 'what if' because of removal of pre-existing clauses, many would go without it until and unless they absolutely needed it.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:31 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,445 times
Let people make the choice. Assuming it is available equally to all, if they choose not insure themselves either they pay cash at time of treatment or we pitch them to the street. I don't want my dollars subsidizing somebody who chooses not to insure themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies