Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Health Insurance be Mandatory for all Americans?
Yes - Assess fines and penalties for not having insurance 17 22.97%
Yes - but no fines or penalties for not having insurance 5 6.76%
No - Let Americans decide for themselves 49 66.22%
Undecided at this time 3 4.05%
Don't care 0 0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 10:57 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I am very sorry I went off on that tirade but somehow these people have to understand just how that single payer crap will work and I think I have enough time on Medicare to know how it will work. I just couldn't take the crap any longer. Sorry.
It happens.

I'm interested though on forum members ideas on making it mandatory to purchase health insurance and then penalizing them if they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 11:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You have made a conscious decision to not purchase insurance. That is your right. I have chosen to buy insurance

I believe it should be kept that way - with no penalties
Well I'm not totally stupid, I know in the next few years It would become to my benefit to buy insurance as I get older.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:27 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
My not having health insurance is NOt an option.. i am being shut out of insurance..

So now you have been black listed by the insurance industry, they all have ganged up to say

psss, dont give TransMommy insurance...

Old 10-27-2009, 04:56 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
No. I don't have it, want it, or need it. Why pay for something I'll never use?

Old 10-27-2009, 05:35 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
If this passes with a public option then it must be mandatory in order to work.
I have stated before, that if someone is able to self-insure then certificates should be available to show that they are, in effect, insured, eliminating that 'freedom of choice' concern.
Bankruptsy laws should be changed so any potential debts from this cannot be wiped out......along with a lot of other debts, but that's a different subject.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:58 AM

624 posts, read 1,072,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Congress has NO authority to mandate citizens purchase something as a condition of their citizenship.
It appears that either Congress is going to mandate insurance OR I'll have to pay for those who choose not to get it.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:16 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
I have health insurance. I have also been without health insurance.

This stuff of others thinking they can tell me how I am to live my life. How I must do thing, Making choices for me it getting old as heck. Why call it my life? When someone else is controling it

Yes people should be able to get insurance with a pre existing health problem but other then that this stuff of telling someone they must have something. has got to stop

What are people going to tell us we must have and do next?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:20 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

So now you have been black listed by the insurance industry, they all have ganged up to say

psss, dont give TransMommy insurance...
You Are being ridiculous on purpose to make some point. What I don't know. You have your head in the sand if you do not realize that a large group has been pushed out of insurance with pre existing conditions and prices that pretty much eqaul a second mortgage payment. How many middle income working families you know can pay two mortgages or two rents?

So while I haven't specifically been singled out by name I am in the group that had been shut out. As a resultbif I ddo need emergent care I will get it and most likely you all will be paying for it because I do not have rhe means to pay the ridiculously high cost of treatment. Meanwhile if an affordable option was available and pre existing condition clauses removed I could contribute to my own care through premiums

Old 10-27-2009, 07:32 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,310,577 times
Define affordable , TM. How much could you pay each month?

Old 10-27-2009, 07:53 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
NO, health INSURANCE should NOT be mandatory.

why should it be??? so you want to MAKE IT MANDATORY that I BUY an INSURANCE THAT I CAN'T AFFORD????? does that even make sense????

INSURANCE is not HEALTH CARE....and that seems to be what Washington DC and the people of america have chose to forget that.

these new bills do NOTHING to lower the cost of health CARE, all they do is worry about INSURANCE, which is NOT THE CARE.

years ago there was no health insurance,,there was a thing called HOSPITALIZATION, which FULLY COVERED MAJOR PROBLEMS.............if you had the sniffles and went to the doctor you paid the BILL for the SERVICE RENDERED....TODAY people think and insurance company should pay for their doctors visit...what ever happened to the individual paying for the service/product that he received?????????????

will any of these current bills lower the overall cost of HEALTH CARE????.. NO
all these current bills, to include to ones that include the "government option" will only COST AMERICANS MORE MONEY

washington is screwed-up and will never get things right.....they have some GOOD IDEAS, but always implement BAD PLANS.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies