Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 03:45 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Your comment shows a serious lack of "critical thinking skills". Republicans, back in the days of A. Lincoln, were vastly different from those of today, and with an entirely different agenda. It's not the name of the political party that matters, it is the will to better America for ALL AMERICANS!
Here's their America complete with that "Patriot" from New Hampshire carrying the Arizona flag

arpaio nazi - Google Videos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 04:05 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I have worked hard all my life, I have a degree in Economics and I am extremely conservative with my money. You make the assumption that everyone dreams about being some corporate w **** or CEO. I could start a company tomorrow, use other people to make me money and find ways to justify it or feel good about exploiting people.

This whole American corporate structure is disgusting, no morals, no ethics and no values, treat your employees like crap and when they are no longer needed, just discard them like a piece of garbage. Most wealthy people are wealthy because they have taken advantage of others, I studied Labor economics extensively in college and believe me I know what it takes to get to the top, no thanks!
Thank you, repubocrat, for speaking truth here! I am also a college graduate, put myself through school, NO help from parents or anyone else, been working full time since my junior year in H.S., financially conservative, own home, no debt, etc., and now, at 64, the body is beginning to fail, and I cannot afford to "retire". . . when I do, it will be with SS, whatever is left of my many years of saving every extra penny (down the tanks, now, due to a combination of poor luck and a poor economy), and hopefully a part time job. I have worked for the very wealthy, who have no problem filing for bankruptsy when their fortunes become threatened, and who made their money by exploiting others, with sweet talk and promises (in my case, at least), OK, so maybe I am "DUMB". . . . "you have worked here so hard for so long and for so little in order to make this business a sucesss" . . . "when the buisiness is sold you will benefit with a portion of the profits". . . .I "benefited" by being laid off! and so on and so forth.. . . wanna go buy my new book? "The American way of creating a cynic"?

Old 09-04-2009, 04:42 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,459,746 times
To the OP:
The GOP wishes for a return to the 19th century "white knuckled" capitalism of the robber barons. Repeal the Sherman Antitrust Act, prohibit all labor unions.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:44 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
To the OP:
The GOP wishes for a return to the 19th century "white knuckled" capitalism of the robber barons.
Bull

Old 09-04-2009, 05:07 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizNJ View Post
Privatize public schools (also social security) and all businesses.
How's your 401k looking? Everyone I know lost their asses, some were completely wiped out. But they still have their Social Security.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:24 PM

216 posts, read 645,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I hear things I don't want to hear all the time, such as four letter words, etc. I do know what I am talking about and until I can pray anywhere I want to out loud there is no freedom of speech. You don't have to listen to my prayer if you don't want to, just like I tune out the foul language I hear in stores like Walmart. Some of you do not know what freedom is. You have been brainwashed into thinking you have a right to take away a person's freedom of religion and speech. Maybe it is time to test it out in court.

Our country was founded on freedom of religion and not freedom from religion.
In this city about a month ago the police arrested an older man who was down by the train station for shouting and screaming Bibical passages at comuters coming off the train. When he wouldn't stop they arrested him.

Where is the line???

Old 09-04-2009, 05:45 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
How's your 401k looking? Everyone I know lost their asses, some were completely wiped out. But they still have their Social Security.
Not if Bush had privatized it, then your Social Security "Account" would be broke too. The 401K was the biggest Ponzi Scheme ever, it absolved the employer of the obligations of the ERISA Law which required them to fund employee pensions. Look at the amount of money that has been transfered from 401Ks to the Bankers on Wall St

Old 09-04-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Honestly? My 401k looks pretty damn good. We took advantage of some great opportunities that presented themselves.

Oh, btw - I still DON'T have any social security.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:58 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Honestly? My 401k looks pretty damn good. We took advantage of some great opportunities that presented themselves.

Oh, btw - I still DON'T have any social security.
Government pension? Or just not old enough yet?

Old 09-04-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Government pension? Or just not old enough yet?
No, no Government Pension.

I opted out of Social Security decades ago. As a result, I can never get Social Security or Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies