Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:56 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,014 times

Advertisements

Most people at Guantanamo Bay are being released and being sent back to their own country because they were determined to be innocent and not really a threat to America. What a terrible situation. They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I bet many of them were tortured.

Sure there are some bad actors there but America looks bad sweeping up so many innocent people and keeping them in prison long after they are determined to be innocent.

What do you think about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 04:07 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,829 times
I know I'm going to be attacked for this, but since they were innocent all along....

They, like the victims on 9/11, deserve compensation from our government. What a horrible mistake. These people underwent indescribable torture in the form of:

being denied access to family for years
being denied access to lawyers
being denied any right to speak in their defense or question any possible charge brought against them
being subjected to sensory deprivation and solitary confinement

Finally, imagine that you are imprisoned for years by people who don't speak your language. You are beaten, mistreated, interrogated, placed in stress positions and psychologically worn down to nothing. You scream your innocence to bare walls. You lose so much hope that ending your life is your only option. And THEN... when you attempt to kill yourself through starvation, you are forcibly tied down and injected with food and nutrients to keep you alive...so you can suffer EVEN more! Do you think you could survive this? This is what happened there and was documented by the Red Cross and Amnesty International.

The events at Guantanamo Bay (and elsewhere) will disgrace our country for the next millennium.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:23 PM

1,247 posts, read 925,894 times
I don't think any monetary compensation we could give them would be enough. They lost a large portion of their lives. It really is horrible what this administration has done, not only because of this situation, in particular, but because of how Americans may now be treated by other nations. When a nation falsely arrests an American and imprisons them, can we honestly protest, considering what has happened in Guantanamo? Oh, I'm sure we'll protest, but there will be no weight behind it because we'll be exposed as hypocrites. It's one thing to be a hypocrite behind closed doors. It's another to have it exposed for the entire world to see.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:29 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Pix of torture at Gitmo from Salon.com---Warning:graphic
What happened at Gitmo goes against everything I believe America stands for; it is shameful.
I read about innocent teenage boys who were there.
link
One lawyer said that his client, a Saudi of Chadian descent, was not yet 15 when he was captured and has told him that he was beaten regularly in his early days at Guantánamo, hanged by his wrists for hours at a time and that an interrogator pressed a burning cigarette into his arm.
I am sure these guys being released will have delightful memories to share.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:20 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Pix of torture at Gitmo from Salon.com---Warning:graphic
What happened at Gitmo goes against everything I believe America stands for; it is shameful.
I read about innocent teenage boys who were there.
link
One lawyer said that his client, a Saudi of Chadian descent, was not yet 15 when he was captured and has told him that he was beaten regularly in his early days at Guantánamo, hanged by his wrists for hours at a time and that an interrogator pressed a burning cigarette into his arm.
I am sure these guys being released will have delightful memories to share.

Your link shows pictures of them with women's underwear on there head! Nothing more. That's the torture. Not exactly being beaten or hanged or burned with cigerettes is it? I call you story B.S., not that it couldn't have happened, but as an exception not a rule. After the Abu Grade debacle, by some untrained redneck national guardsmen, you know they are on there toes. Gitmo is regular army all the way, marines.
Heck, some guys would pay for the privlidge of having a woman's underwear put on his head. Sorry, I don't call it torture.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:25 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,774 times
We hold innocent people for years in horrible situations, torturing them. Then we release them, with a pat on the back "Sorry about that ole' boy. No hard feelings, right?"

NO WONDER THEY HATE US!!!!
I would hate America too if they did that to me!

This administration has gone off the deep end and really shredded our laws and our rights. Horrible, horrible situation. The only solice I have is that Bush's reputation will be forever tarnished by their actions in places like Gitmo.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7I4 View Post
Your link shows pictures of them with women's underwear on there head! Nothing more. That's the torture. Not exactly being beaten or hanged or burned with cigerettes is it? I call you story B.S., not that it couldn't have happened, but as an exception not a rule. After the Abu Grade debacle, by some untrained redneck national guardsmen, you know they are on there toes. Gitmo is regular army all the way, marines.
Heck, some guys would pay for the privlidge of having a woman's underwear put on his head. Sorry, I don't call it torture.
Hog tying a guy to a metal bed naked with underwear over his head is certainly torture.

If pictures of the above were released and were from another country, doing this to our soldiers, we would be rightfully outraged. Now the shoe is on the other foot.

The worst part about this is how low our credibility has fallen. If our soldiers are captured and tortured now, the rest of the world is simply going to say "Just like you did in Gitmo or Abu Graib." I wouldn't want to be in the military after this.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:39 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Hog tying a guy to a metal bed naked with underwear over his head is certainly torture.

If pictures of the above were released and were from another country, doing this to our soldiers, we would be rightfully outraged. Now the shoe is on the other foot.

The worst part about this is how low our credibility has fallen. If our soldiers are captured and tortured now, the rest of the world is simply going to say "Just like you did in Gitmo or Abu Graib." I wouldn't want to be in the military after this.
Well lets put it this way - it's nothing more or less then what they do in U.S. prisons each and every day (less the woman's panties). You don't know what that prisoner did to get tied to the bed.
Are you saying that suspected terrorists should actually be treated better than U.S. prisoners? I've been in handcufs, for a traffic violation (speeding of all things), it was no more physical discomfort than is shown in those photos.
Are you saying a foreign terrorist suspect, criminally a mass murder suspect, should enjoy greater rights and privledges than your average american imprisoned for a misdomeaner?

Old 04-30-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7I4 View Post
Well lets put it this way - it's nothing more or less then what they do in U.S. prisons each and every day (less the woman's panties). You don't know what that prisoner did to get tied to the bed.
Are you saying that suspected terrorists should actually be treated better than U.S. prisoners? I've been in handcufs, for a traffic violation (speeding of all things), it was no more physical discomfort than is shown in those photos.
Are you saying a foreign terrorist suspect, criminally a mass murder suspect, should enjoy greater rights and privledges than your average american imprisoned for a misdomeaner?
NONSENSE! That is WAY different from being handcuffed. Handcuffs are for the safety of the officer. Hog tying a guy to bed with his arms back behind his body for presumably some period of time is NOT about safety. It is about sick torture.

Suspected terrorists should be treated as either prisoners of war or criminal defendants. Either way, they should not be placed in the situations shown in these photos...PERIOD! NO EXCUSE WHAT-SO-EVER!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:55 PM

366 posts, read 386,653 times
This was done in the name of the people of the United States of America.

Every last one of us should be ashamed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies