Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:04 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Keep milking that system! It's the American Way.
Getting unemployment, especially today, is NOT milking the system. Jeez. You have to pay taxes on those benefits. Welfare recipients don't. There are thousands of people unemployed through no fault of their own, and guess what? Either of us can be one of them. My firm already had one layoff. Many of today's unemployed are honest, hard working Americans who have been told that their job is "redundant" and "no longer needed", their plant is closing (thereby laying off everyone in it), or they are too old (if you think that the EEOC is doing a damn thing about that, then you're not 57 and trying to find a job). Do you really know the pain of being an able bodied man who put in a day's work and was told they were laid off?

The face of the unemployed is your neighbor - the one who put 30 years into a company and now finds himself middle aged and being forced to early withdraw his 401(k) to make ends meet. I grow tired of all these "pick muhself up by muh own bootstraps" people who obviously don't see reality or are just so self absorbed that they don't care. Just like the foreclosure crisis is affecting prime borrowers, the recession is affecting everyone. The days of the so called "unemployed slob" are over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 08:06 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
Enter the teary-eyed Indian...

Old 09-22-2009, 08:18 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Enter the teary-eyed Indian...
Yeah, whatever. People have big cajones online, I say.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:23 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Getting unemployment, especially today, is NOT milking the system. Jeez. You have to pay taxes on those benefits. Welfare recipients don't. There are thousands of people unemployed through no fault of their own, and guess what? Either of us can be one of them. My firm already had one layoff. Many of today's unemployed are honest, hard working Americans who have been told that their job is "redundant" and "no longer needed", their plant is closing (thereby laying off everyone in it), or they are too old (if you think that the EEOC is doing a damn thing about that, then you're not 57 and trying to find a job). Do you really know the pain of being an able bodied man who put in a day's work and was told they were laid off?

The face of the unemployed is your neighbor - the one who put 30 years into a company and now finds himself middle aged and being forced to early withdraw his 401(k) to make ends meet. I grow tired of all these "pick muhself up by muh own bootstraps" people who obviously don't see reality or are just so self absorbed that they don't care. Just like the foreclosure crisis is affecting prime borrowers, the recession is affecting everyone. The days of the so called "unemployed slob" are over.
Finally someone who understands what the whole green movement is about...

Old 09-22-2009, 09:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Never claimed she shouldnt go on vacation, I claimed we shouldnt support her for doing so... She can do whatever she wants to do on her dime, but when you ask me to continue to support individuals who are clearly not out looking for a job, sorry.. no support to extend your benefits from me at all..

Is there a reason I should care that it "barely" paid the rent and you had to tap into your savings? Really? Other than the fact that many cant claim $100 in their savings, why would I care that they dont pay enough?
Well, we didn't support this woman for going on vacation, she used her severance. The article didn't even state whether she got unemployment.

Good grief, pgh, I wasn't asking you to care! I was just sayin'; it's not that much money. You're not going to go to Europe on it.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:32 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Oh my God! Save me! This country is toast. Clue: If you can't find a job in 26 weeks, you need to look in a different field, start your own business, or actually take a job that is "beneath" you.
That's the key issue here. A lot of people (even some I know) simply think they are too skilled/valuable to take a job that's not comparable to their previous job. So in essence, some of these people are indeed milking the system.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:06 AM

80 posts, read 277,650 times
I have 2 pieces of information for all the people who think the unemployed are "milking the system":

1. There are approximately 3 million current job openings in the United States.
2. There are 15 million current unemployed Americans.

Do the math! If an unemployed American filled every available position that would still leave 12 million Americans unemployed. Nobody wants to collect unemployment. I have been living off of family and friends since my benefits expired July 13th and it makes me sick to death. Until April of 2008, I had worked every day of my life at the same company for 15 years and one day it was all gone. Now I can't even get a stinking interview after sending out well over 300 resumes to perspective employers. I envy those of you who still have jobs but I am fully aware that most of you are just a pink slip away from my situation. Chances are that somebody you know and love is currently unemployed. Anybody who thinks being on unemployment is easy needs to try it out for themselves.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How many millionaires started their own business in order to get their bills paid because unemployment was running out? I for one used six months of unemployment and severance pay from my last employer to give me security to go out on my own and have never looked back. How many of the unemployed are actually trying to truly become financially secured?

We can google for hundreds of stories who all used unemployment as a "vacation", why would I help to contribute to such failures by asking that it be tolerated and extended?
I think you would be hard pressed to find 5 stories within the last 50 years of people using unemployment as a vacation and if you do, it's probably repeats of the same story. While I can respect that you started your own business, I doubt you'll find many who started theirs because their unemployment was running out and they needed to pay their bills. More than 50% of home/small businesses fail within the first year.

Most people who are laid off do not receive any severance pay and unemployment is hardly enough to start even the smallest of business ventures. They're more worried about trying to keep their heads above water and put food on the table than financial security. Even still, to start such a venture, one would need a superb credit history and a willing lender which is much harder to find today than when you started your business.

In conclusion, I would ask that you get your facts together prior to making such a demeaning post. Also you should try not to accuse people of doing things you haven't personally witnessed.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
That's the key issue here. A lot of people (even some I know) simply think they are too skilled/valuable to take a job that's not comparable to their previous job. So in essence, some of these people are indeed milking the system.
This is very much a misnomer amongst the employed and those who haven't experienced the unemployment system. I'd take a job shoveling crap for 8 hours a day if I could find one and the unemployment system ensures that I apply for any open position that I qualify for even if the requirements are below my current skill set!

Again, you folks who haven't experienced the American Unemployment System need to get your facts straight before you post.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:36 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
those 10% unemployment figures are real. those jobs are gone not coming back. we cant go on writing IOU's. at some point we gota face the music. its not a stimulus its not a recovery its a contraction with heavy debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies