Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 12:07 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally posted by stan4
To be fair, I don't want anyone in an ostensible position of authority saying anything to my kids without my knowing or having some general idea what it's going to be. Especially someone whose political beliefs are so vastly different from mine (as Obama's are). That being said, after having reviewed the speech, it is nice, common sense stuff with no bent to it whatsoever. I'd have similar (or worse) qualms if some religious leader came to do the same thing.
Actually I understand completely. Good parents should ask what the president (or anyone) has to say to their children. Unfortunately people on your side are not as reasonable as you seem to be. Very few, I bet will have actually read the entire transcript.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 12:11 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Actually I understand completely. Good parents should ask what the president (or anyone) has to say to their children. Unfortunately people on your side are not as reasonable as you seem to be. Very few, I bet will have actually read the entire transcript.
Yes. I think people should be informed before making decisions or judgments. Something members of both sides (liberal/conservative) are often not very good about.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:15 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
I'm disappointed, though not at all surprised, that Obama's speech doesn't address these issues that have been plaguing our public schools for decades:

USATODAY.com - SAT talent searches lead nowhere for many
Joann DiGennaro - Gifted Minds We Need to Nurture - washingtonpost.com
Are We Failing Our Geniuses? - TIME

Old 09-07-2009, 12:20 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
We should encourage those who are so fanatical they will do the opposite of what he says just because he said it. It will make sure those who are fanatical racist idiots are a new lowest class of people. I hope he makes even more speeches about the right things to do, so they can do even more things the opposite way.

Good job

When Obama says it it's Golden, but when Bill Cosby says it it's not?

Old 09-07-2009, 12:20 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
It's a good speech. Frankly, it's just what I thought it would be - plain English, easy to understand, drawing parallels with other kids in other times, and delivered with humor - "And no matter what grade you’re in, some of you are probably wishing it were still summer, and you could’ve stayed in bed just a little longer this morning."

Obama summed up in one speech many of the same thoughts and hopes and concepts and beliefs I heard many times growing up, from parents, teachers, and principals.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:21 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I do, too...and I can see it being delivered by ANY President, regardless of political affiliation.

All the fuss over this...much ado about nothing.

Remember, this is the edited/cleaned up version.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:21 PM

124 posts, read 303,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
do you know the original version?

Old 09-07-2009, 12:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
And you read the unedited/dirty version?

You objections are drowning and you are reaching for straws.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:24 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
If the unedited version had been issued by a non-Democratic president, it would still be a non-issue for most Americans.

Or are you still envisioning a Marxist rant?

Sorry, there was never anything in the original to warrant the hysteria or paranoia.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:26 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Fox? Fox talk shows are your example of the average conservative person and their sensibilities and viewpoints?

Then PETA and the CPUSA must be representative of all liberals.
Did any of these posts suggest that? no. They were directed at those who bought into the hysteria on Fox, the talk shows, hardline rightly blogs etc. Those who threatened to keep their kids home from school in fear of Nazi's, Communism, or whatever wacked out thing they can find. And if you read back on posts the last few days on here, you will see plenty of that hysteria on this board. That is who those mocking posts were directed at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies