Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you had the choice to take the Goverment Health Option, would you consider it?
Yes, if it was much cheaper and had similar coverage 6 20.69%
Yes, if it was a little cheaper and had similar coverage 8 27.59%
Yes, if it was much cheaper and had less coverage 1 3.45%
There's no way in Hell that I would consider a Government health plan 14 48.28%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 12:04 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambina View Post
but you force me to pay for you to go to the ER even you can't afford to pay your bill. right now it's my tax payers money spent on people like you.

What does that even mean? You think that the government picks up the ER bill when someone does not have insurance? WRONG. Your tax money does not pay for uninsured people's visits to the ER. The ER doc and the hospital eat the cost.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:05 PM

124 posts, read 303,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What does that even mean? You think that the government picks up the ER bill when someone does not have insurance? WRONG. Your tax money does not pay for uninsured people's visits to the ER. The ER doc and the hospital eat the cost.
you are kidding, right?

Old 09-07-2009, 12:06 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
If you love your private insurance company so much, then keep it!
It's not that I love it, but I prefer it to anything the government would come up with. I know my private insurance is better than what the gov. offers at the VA, so yes, I would like to keep it. I would also like the option of switching from one private plan to another as I see fit.

Quote:
No one is FORCING you to take the Goverment Option.
This isn't entirely true. You will be forced to take the gov. option if you lose your existing health coverage. You would not be able to switch from one private health plan to another, and once enrolled in the gov. plan, you can't get out of it.

Quote:
There are some in America who don't like to see their claims constantly denied for some obscure prior condition they dig up, or enjoy their high deductibles or their chaotic treatment options.
And you think the gov. plan would change any of this?

Quote:
The health plan that covers the senators themselves is what I want.
Yeah. Just about everyone else would want that, too. That is not what they are offering.

Quote:
Conservatives don't seem to know what a Gov health 'OPTION' is, let me explain,you have a CHOICE to TAKE IT or LEAVE IT!
Again, only while enrolled in your current health plan. If you somehow lose that coverage, the gov. plan is the only alternative in the proposals I have seen.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:09 PM

Bambina - you are kidding, right?

Great...another vocal ignorant. That's what we need more of. I am not kidding.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:10 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambina View Post
but you force me to pay for you to go to the ER even you can't afford to pay your bill. right now it's my tax payers money spent on people like you.

Good point, but although I disagree with it, I have a bit more respect for that argument than the made up dead grandma crowd.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:11 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
KRAMERCAT is right, the conservatives are hypocrites. War, invasion, death and destruction is OK (despite any claims to the contrary) because there was NO outcry from them. But having an option to pay for their own health care? Not in their lifetimes. Something does not compute here.

I will gladly pick the government option if only to take business away from the corrupt insurance industry. Of course, I'd go to a naturopath, Chinese doctor, and chiropractor first. I don't do pharmaceuticals.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Good point, but although I disagree with it, I have a bit more respect for that argument than the made up dead grandma crowd.
Except that that argument is not true. So don't bother respecting that, either.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:14 PM

479 posts, read 879,535 times
In case you are not aware you are already paying for those who are uninsured. I also thought that letting insurers across state lines was reasonable and yes competition may drive down cost in the short run but what happens when all the competition folds and their is only 1 mega-insurer left nationally?What incentive do they have to not start fleecing us to increase profits?

Quote:
Why not start with the insurance companies and creating an environment where they compete for your business (thereby driving down cost and increasing coverage) instead of forcing your fellow taxpayer (ie, ME) to pay for health insurance TWICE - once in the form of higher taxes for ME and then again when I pay my private health insurance premium.

Why does "going government" have to be the only option?

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times
Quote:
Bambina - you are kidding, right?

Great...another vocal ignorant. That's what we need more of. I am not kidding.
How is it, do you think, that hospitals acquire the monetary reserves necessary to offer Charity Funds?

The uninsured and UNpaid visit costs are offset by higher fees to the rest of us...which is then passed on in the form of higher insurance rates and higher out-of-pocket deductibles.

We DO pay for the uninsured.

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Quote:
Whether this is funded through tax dollars, or by the hospital is irrelevant. Either way, it's the people who work and pay taxes and insurance premiums that are paying the cost for those that can't afford to pay. Many hospitals are subsidized by tax dollars, so as a taxpayer, you are paying part of the bill. When a hospital or an ER doctor "eat the cost," as you suggest, where do you think they make up for it? They do so by charging more for those that can afford to pay, generally through higher health insurance premiums.

Last edited by jdavid93225; 09-07-2009 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies